1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress GET A LIFE - COMPLETED

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by The_Gnu, 17 Nov 2010.

1. LeandroJVarini

LeandroJVarini Mod is my life!

artwork on aluminum!
    congratulations

2. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Thank you very much.. and you don't have to look forward that much longer because her is another mini update.

Thanks Cheap, My plan is to make it look like there is no cables at all. How well I will suceed is yet to bee seen.

Thanks you very much.

And here is another mini update.

First of all I want to thank you all for the nice comments and support you provide. Thats the main fuel for this project and they make even the "not so fun parts" fun. While Im getting all high on the solder fumes from tha cable making I thought I should show the latest modifications to the foot. Since there will be no fans in this case, I need all the ventilationholes I can get. But still I don't want it to look like a swizz cheese with holes on every surface. So the place for some inlet holes will have to bee on the foot. The surface that you basically can't see when the product is standing.

Not much explaining needed I think. Simply 3mm slot holes. I used the mill to drill holes in a row an then did a finishing milling cut. This produced some uneven drillmarks on the edges all along the hole. These I had to remove with a needle file....Lesson learned.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And ofcourse.. the obligatory testfiting. This is the bottom of the case and the holes will be facing downwards and will not be vissible.
    [​IMG]

3. Jettblack

Jettblack What's a Dremel?

22 pages ooooh aarrrr loven it

4. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Ouch more needle file work :hehe: but it's looking mighty sweet GNU, very nice addition :).

5. rcn29

rcn29 What's a Dremel?

whoa that's sweet. can i marry your brain?

6. jokkos

jokkos too busy to mod *sigh*

such a nice project... so much precision work and it's all turning out so well. :clap:

7. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Loooourving it!

8. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Yum!:D
    The real masterpiece will be getting the wires right, stuffed in the compartment, and covered without the use of force.:D -I'm just saying...

9. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

You should have drilled with a 2,5mm :p
    But as you say, lesson learned! :)

Looks amazing!!!

10. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Thank you, there will be some more pages for shure.

Thanks Waynio, nice comments as always. Yeah those needlefiles were well spent money cause I always end up using them. Perfect for fixing those finishing touches that not even the mill can handle.

Woh.. not so fast, you havn't even asked me out yet:naughty:
    Thanks anyway :thumb:

Thank you very much.:thumb:

Thaaaaaaanks

Haha, well now I know whats beeing expected. I will do my best, hm... "covered without the use of force" might be tricky.

Yeah I should definitly have done as you said and used a sligtly smaller size. I actually used the 3mm endmill when drilling, trying to speed up the process by plunge milling instead of going back and forth. But anyway, I got to practise my needlefile skills.

11. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Another idea which I use sometimes, is to go back and forth with the 2,5mm. When I'm through I take the 3mm and do 1 run. That gives you a very nice finish.

If not, and the meassure is not really important, then just use the 3mm all the way through and at the end move it 0.1 mm to one side and run back, then 0.1mm to the other side and do the final run. Then it's just 3,2mm wide but looks great!

Sorry if I make it sound like I'm a genious, and you are a noob... It's not supposed to be taken like that and it's also not the case! :) Sometimes the easy ways of making something nice are forgotten! :)

12. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Thanks for the input all feedback is welcome and especially from someone with alot more time behind the mill. I remembered I tried that 0,1mm technique when I was milling the hdd waterblocks for protohype and had some nice results.

To be honest I don't know why I didn't think of it this time. Probably because I didn't realised I needed it until the end. As you say, the easy ways iseasy to forget :)

13. Autti

Autti What's a Dremel?

Are you going to mill slots in the top now as well? Would make sense to get some convection currents flowing through. Great piece of milling.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get the right angled connectors?

14. 7x3 ])3A7H

7x3 ])3A7H What's a Dremel?

Wow.... Now I really love this project.:jawdrop:

15. j0rd

j0rd FLOSS folder

w00t, every time i check out this log there is some more cool stuff going on, look forward to the next update bro

16. Fuganater

Fuganater What's a Dremel?

Looks great man. I might have missed it in the worklog,(Just spent the past hour going through it), but how will you hold all the sides together?

17. Stem83

Stem83 Addicted to modding.

People can learn to use these machines so thats not the important part.... It takes special people to actually come up with the ideas on what and how to go about making all these little pieces, thats whats impressive...
    And you are one of the few on here that does exactly that.

18. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

little different from your current rig eh?

19. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

I plan on putting som ventilation holes in the top and bottom of the backcover. Hopefully this will be enough. In worst case, Ill have to squeez in som slots on the top aswell but Im trying to avoid that.

When you say angled connectors I asume you mean the HDMI connectors?. The small one I didn't end up using I got from here.. The larger one with the variable angle I got fram my local radio/tv company that I don't wan't to name and give som extra credit cause they don't deserv it. And if you don't live in sweden I guess it wouldn't help you much either. But most radio/tv shops have something similar.

Thank you.

Yeah I'm trying to speed up now and get this build done beqause im dying to start my pico project. Im glad you like it :thumb:

Here is some pictures from previous post that will hopefully answer your question. First all pieces are screwed together from the inside.
    [​IMG]
    Then they are all mounted with two screws from the other side of the bottomplate into threaded holes in the two thicker corner pieces. If you look closely you can se the two larger screws in this picture.
    [​IMG]
    And the sides are mounted like this, from the inside aswell with 2 screws in the bottom.
    [​IMG]

That's a very nice thing of you to say and that you take notice of all the work that actually isn't vissible. That's the part that I think is most timeconsuming, figuring out how everything should fit, be machined, mounted and still make it look like that picture in the head. And the fact that I insist on craming everything into the smallest possible space isn't helping either.

There have been times when I question myself why I do this, but then I just take a look at you guys on this froum and all the fantastic stuff that is made here and I know exactly why I do it.
    :thumb:

:)

20. Autti

Autti What's a Dremel?

No the RJ45 connector you are using on the foot and the audio jack connectors.

I was going to start taking a scalpel to old plugs to get some but i didn't know you could buy them like that.