1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News EA: Games won't be Origin exclusive

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 30 Aug 2011.

1. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Which ones?
    Same as BF3 and Origin.
    You can buy retail.

2. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

How is that answering the question? This discussion is about digital sales. I guess Valve can do no wrong in your eyes. You can buy BF3 on many DD sites except Steam but Valve games can only be bought from Steam, how's that for competition?

3. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

"Piracy: The Better Choice (TM)" is Charlie Demerjian's best ever line, one that I get a chuckle out of now when I see it in legit media articles about the kinds of draconian DRM EA and their grubby ilk push onto media content of all sorts. It has taken on a life of its own now, part of the whole DRM conversation.

What is incredibly, ball kickingly farcical is that his article is almost five years old and NOTHING has changed. Multiple restrictive, difficult, intrusive and expletive provoking DRM schemes have come and (I wish I could say "gone") stayed, and it hasn't even made a dent in file sharing while media executives with weepy eyes and trembling lips shed crocodile tears about how much money they have "lost to piracy" while employing suited thugs and criminals, suborning extortion, bribing public officials and undermining democratic institutions. I really feel for those cocaine snorting, rent-boy exploiting, parasitic blow-hards.
    Five years on and Charlie could have written it today.

For those who never read it: http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1043337/hd-disk-format-wars

You know what killed my casual piracy? Steam specials (with a more affordable/speedy Internet connection) and "grey" imports. These two factors reduced the cost of games to a level that was affordable and justifiable (from cost / enjoyment / risk perspective). That is money Columbian drug lords and pimps didn't have before.
    I don't support piracy as some kind of "Stick it to the man" ethic, but as someone who has been involved in content creation in the past I can't stomach or condone cynical, greedy and criminal hypocrisy.

Hey Activision? I won't be paying $99.99 (so much cheaper than $100!) for MW3, and to show you how much I think it is really worth, I won't be pirating it either.

It has been pointed out I have a bit of a problem with two faced weasels and their morally bankrupt practices. It is a personal issue I've chosen NOT to work on. Bitter? Yeah I could do with a drink, thanks.

azrael- likes this.
  4. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Origin is no competition to Steam BF3-wise, same for Valve games in Origin.
    As for BF3 other DD services, D2D says:
    Impulse\Gamestop says:
    What others are there, apart form Origin?
    They can, just look at their € prices. Yet, I am repeatedly told that is the publishers fault, not Steams, even if Steam manages to make some very tasty promos that kill all other competition.

5. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

I can buy BF3 from D2D.

Have you tried Gamersgate? There's plenty more too.

EDIT: Typing BF3 digital retailers into Google gave me this, nothing for Portugal but I'm sure they won't all be region locked.

6. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Good for you, lousy for me, I guess.
    No result shows for "battlefield 3". Searching for "battlefield" shows five results:
    [​IMG]
    None of those is BF3.
    Will have to look at that, if for nothing else to check if there really is any other valid DD service, other than Origin. Problem with non-english speaking countries may be buying a non-english version.

7. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

And... Valve still has EA selling their game at retail. The games are Valve's and its their decision to do what they want with them. EA is just being stupid with the way they are handling it and limiting their audience.

Everyone knows Valve = Steam so they dont expect their titles on other DD series like StarDock's is only Impulse.

Everyone knows EA = EA, a big publisher who wants to get as much money as they can. Everyone also knows EA digital download services are worthless so Origin = No one will use it.

EA's decision not to put their additional DLC onto Steam was a piss poor move that killed a huge amount of support, and EA pulling titles because Valve started requiring it is pathetic business.

Truly I support EA leaving the PC game business due to the Origin garbage and their BF3 internet browser menu trash.

8. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

That's becuase they have a contract, look at Apple and Samsung, Samsung make parts for the iPad but that doesn't stop them suing each other. Just becuase they have a contract to sell their retail copies means nothing for this situation.

So Valve can do what they want with their games but EA can't? Good logic....

Why not? EA = Origin but you can still buy their games from dozens of DD sites, sounds like they are offering the consumers a choice, unlike Valve who force you to buy it digitally on Steam.

They want as much money as they can? What a shock, you would think they had shareholders or something...

So by that logic nobody will be playing BF3? Good luck with that coming true.

People still think EA pulled Crysis 2 and DA2 from Steam? I take it you don't read the news much? You should look at the fact that Valve were forcing new T&Cs on publishers so that Valve made more money from DLC sales, EA took a stand since they are big enough to do so.

What bothers you in particular about the BF3 server browser? DICE made it but it's fun how you still blame EA for it. :thumb:

9. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

Strange, BF3 is on Gamersgate for me, crazy regional restrictions I guess.

I'm sure you'll be able to buy it somewhere else that's not Origin, finding that place is the challenge!

Last edited: 1 Sep 2011
  10. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Another reason why Steam is the DD standard.

11. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

The DD standard is shafting gamers that use the Euro?

Plus UK gamers miss out on pre-order deals on Steam since we get a delay before we can pre-order games meaning we miss out on certain promos.

Steam has plenty of regional restrictions too.

12. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Well, at least they accept €.

13. impar

impar Minimodder

14. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

The EA store has always sold Valve games, it just happens to be called the origin store now. Doesn't change anything, you're not buying a digital copy, you're buying a physical copy just like you would on amazon, I've no idea why this is news, they've been doing this for years since they are the retail publisher.

15. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    So true.
    No idea.

Tags: Add Tags