1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other My house...is flooded....

Discussion in 'General' started by Lord Xeb, 30 Aug 2011.

1. Lord Xeb

Lord Xeb Derka Derpa Derka Derp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJL2HzNg19I

We tried escaping when the damn topped and the water rose so quick that by the time we did get out and into the road the water had overtaken the X5 and shorted everything out. If we didn't have my 85 year old grandmother in the house (which is practically bed ridden by her own choice as she chooses to lay around. And trust me on that one) we couldn't get out quick enough..... we had to be rescued from the car through the windows...

It is a lot worse than it looks. The basement is about 100 times worse than the first floor... as the water just sat for a well over 48 hours. We have flood insurance but no content insurance.

We lost a BMW X5 and a limited edition 1973 911 Porsche Targa (which only 11 were made).

We had a basically 2 rivers flowing on both sides of our house as the brook overflowed. Wapanocca (next to our house) was a river.

What is worse is that the apartment complex across the the street had a 7000 gallon had broken loose and spilled over a 1000 gallons of fuel oil everywhere in the building and had leaked out into our back yard plus into the brook...

Yeah things are wonderful here. Thanks Hurricane Irene.

BTW the water was so high it was OVER the ROOF of the X5.

Last edited: 30 Aug 2011
    Teelzebub likes this.
  2. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

I assume that everyone is OK?

I don't know why you guys didn't have full insurance... you know, you might want to get that sorted out... it's much cheaper than the cost of replacing everything, be it flood, fire, theft, etc.

3. Wicked_Sludge

Wicked_Sludge My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

all things considered, it could have been much worse. you should consider yourselves lucky that no one was injured and you still have a place to live.

my sympathies to you and yours, however. hope you can get your lives put back together quickly.

4. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

You're lucky indeed that no one was hurt :)

It seems from the video you're actually lucky that it was just a small brook that burst it's banks and hasn't left too much silt and crap in your house, if it had been a larger river you'd be wading through 2-3 feet of sludge. Take some comfort from that.

5. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Flood damage always sucsks. Good to see things are alright now though!

6. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Indeed, one of the biggest dangers of a hurricane is not actually the wind speed, but the storm surge. This is why there is a lot of discussion in the meteorology community to revise the hurricane scale. Although Irene was only a Category 2 as it moved up the East Coast, the barometric pressure was indicative of a much stronger storm - hence the surge.

You guys are lucky you only lost a couple of cars. I fear that much of the community here in Texas has once again become complacent. We haven't had a hurricane since Ike in 2008, so a lot of people aren't too worried about storms anymore. I'm worried that people here won't listen to the National Hurricane Center's warnings when the time comes.

7. Lord Xeb

We lost much much more than that. We lost a lot. You think the up stairs is bad, you should see the basement and since my grandmother is the owner of the house (long story) she didn't think content insurance was important. well I think it is VERY important.

Teelzebub likes this.
  8. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

One thing is water damage to the interior, but the walls should be torn down and fully dried. The insulation inside walls can hold lots of dirty water, which will be a perfect place for mold to grow...

9. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Sorry to hear about the house mate hope that gets sorted, Glad everyone's ok though thats the most importand thing.

10. Lord Xeb

yeah it is getting better (HA sarcasism)

11. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Sorry to read about your flood, but seriously, you guys aren't short of money if you drive a X5 and have a rare, limited edition Porsche. Why no contents insurance?

I'm glad you're OK though.

{edit} just seen your reply to my question. I'm sure you don't have to be the house owner to take out contents cover you know. You should have just taken out your own.

12. Lord Xeb

Bro saying that is like saying poor people have money. We are kinda tight for money right now and this time we are going to have content insurance.

13. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

I doubt Pookeyhead meant that poor people can afford to purchase an X5 and a rare Porsche, I'm guessing he's assuming that owners of expensive cars, haven't spent every dollar they have on purchasing the cars, leaving them unable to afford to insure the cars.

That's a good idea.

14. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

If you own a BMW X5 and a rare Porsche but are tight for money, you are not poor, just poor at managing your money.

Having said that, I'm sorry for your loss. Flood damage is as bad as your house burning down to the ground --if not worse, because at least you can remove a heap of ashes and start again. Getting rid of flood damage requires letting it dry out, then repairing all the damage. Good luck in getting insurance now, because your area has a history of floods now... Sucks big time. :(

15. wst

wst Minimodder

Aren't the cars covered on your car insurance anyway?

16. Wicked_Sludge

Wicked_Sludge My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

good point. i would hope at least an X-out-of-11 porsche would have full coverage....

17. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Didn't mean any offence, but if you, or your family own a X5 and a rare Porsche, then it's reasonable to assume that you can afford contents insurance. However, the main point of my post was that whoever owns the house doesn't really have any relevance as to whether you can buy contents insurance. After all, it's the contents of the house that you would be insuring, not the house itself.

Like I said.. you're all OK, that's the main thing.

18. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Not necessarily. The funny thing about hurricanes is that they bring out the worst in insurance companies. The house flooded, eh? Are you sure that was really caused by the storm surge (and therefore covered by flood insurance), or was it more due to the winds driving in the rain (therefore covered by windstorm insurance)?

Dealing with insurance companies can be a mess, but chances are high that the car insurance doesn't cover against storm damage. That's generally covered under your homeowner's insurance, depending on the level of coverage you elect.

19. Lord Xeb

There is a lot more going on than that. Actually the money is managed very very well but did you ever think that maybe stuff just happens, like medical, or unplanned things that cost a crap load (*water heater going out, having an interior weeper put in, etc. I alone had over 5000 in medical thanks to my back). We literally had unplanned, expensive stuff happen to us in very quick succession. Also we don't own the X5, we lease it for 3 years or something. And by tight for money, I mean we don't have the money to fix everything without insurance. Do you have any idea how much the contents of our house costs? Yes, we got money, but not THAT much money.

Yes they are.

It is but it is going to cost more to fix it than it is worth. requires a total rebuild.

Yes we have money, but we are not rich either but I never look at it that way. I just look at it as the fact we are like everyone else, just live differently is all.

Everything is covered and the car is covered completely as it was a FLOOD not a surge. The damn up stream had the waters rise so fast that they had little time to warn anyone before opening the gates to save the damn. It was something like 6 inches from cresting over the damn when they finally managed to get the gates open. Water rose 6 inches every 5 minutes....

Since that is the case it is a FLOOD and we are covered under it.

20. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

aye.. but off topic- somehow that's exactly how I thought you'd look =]

long as you have your health, you've got more than a lot of people.. don't let the mold take that away!