1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Room redecoration and new PC build

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Huge, 25 Jul 2011.

1. mr.a2008

mr.a2008 What's a Dremel?

That's one sweet build you have there! Jealous much really!

2. Huge

Huge aka Dave

Thanks. I'm finishing off the painting today so hope to have some nice new pictures soon :)

3. Huge

Huge aka Dave

Picture update time.

The walls are all painted. Just the ceiling to finish off and a couple of small touch ups to do. The pictures are taken at night so the colours aren't too good but they give you an idea of the finish. I love it :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Blue-grey walls, dark grey feature wall and cupboard, white ceiling (including scilling parts). The plan is to have dark grey features on the blue walls including grey bedding and a grey shelf.

Made a couple of new purchases for my computer which I'll detail when they come. The flooring is still lost in the post :wallbash:

4. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

Looking very nice & contemporary.

5. Huge

Huge aka Dave

Thanks. I can't wait for it to be all finished so that I can put all my furniture back in and go back to my triple monitors!

6. Huge

Huge aka Dave

Last night I was up past three finishing off the painting and moving a few things back into my room. Wow - I'm delighted with how it looks. It's the first room I've ever painted and I honestly think I've done a fairly good job :)

[​IMG].

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And also yesterday, my mini was picked up by my welder. In a week's time the rain will stay exclusively outside the car :thumb:

[​IMG]

Now I just need to get the new bedding, the blind and my flooring done.

7. Snowball1979

Snowball1979 What's a Dremel?

Just had to join up to the forum to say thanks for posting all this, been good to see and I'm loving the setup.

How are you finding the Silverstone case? I'm looking for something small to take to LAN events and I love Silverstone cases...

Looking forward to seeing the 'final' room complete with flooring. Only thing I would change is your headboard, looks a little 'granny'. ;)

Well done on this

8. Huge

Huge aka Dave

Hah, that's because it belonged to my great aunt. Very comfy bed but as soon as I find a well priced replacement headboard it will be gone! The duvet is going two tone black/grey too.

The case is great, I absolutely love it. Bit of an art wiring around four drives but totally worth it. As for a LAN party case, not necessarily the best case. The sides are all quick release (sides slide up and off and the front pulls straight off) which means you have to lift and carry it carefully to avoid knocking the sides off. There's also no handle, so for straight out practicality it won't do. But it is a lovely case to look at and to work with, very well thought out and with a very small footprint on your desk. It actually sits in the corner on my amp, surrounded on three sides but because of its clever airflow it doesn't compromise cooling.

And thanks for your kind comment, I absolutely LOVE how things are going but its even better to hear others appreciate it too!

9. Glenni

Glenni What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

This log, was also the first one I bothered to read completely, cause I found this really interesting.

Nice job with the painting!

10. Jor1995dan

Jor1995dan Minimodder

I must admit, after seeing the case in your setup, I did think it goes quite well with multilpe screens as it isn't massive and complements the span of the screens. :)

I love how things are going too Huge, and I'm also loving the updates, you've been an inspiration for me to get out there and get me some stuff and redecorate!

Good job, it's going to turn out great :thumb:

11. Huge

Huge aka Dave

Thanks! Glad it's helping you get on with your place.

This evening I put up the guitar hangars :)

Went to the pub and lost the pub quiz again with the lads so there's no more progress today I'm afraid!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this shows the position of my FT03 nicely, just on top of my Marshall Bass Amp:

[​IMG]

Last edited: 7 Sep 2011
  12. Huge

Huge aka Dave

I actually wrote that update AND fitted the guitar hangars after I got back from the pub, not completely sober..! Woke up this morning to find the guitars were on the wall where I left them, I think nearly-drunk me did quite a good job, especially considering I've never done DIY like that before! I've never even used a self tap-in screw before.

I also took off my light fitting yesterday to fit my new one but found that the wires were running through a huge connection block that is too big to fit under my new light fitting so I'm going to have to do some wiring and modifications to fit it. Going to wait and get some help from my Dad on that one.

Still haven't heard from the delivery company about my flooring, it is so frustrating. If it comes now I won't be able to fit it for a couple of weeks as I'm juggling the following: my mini (currently being welded), my uni work (which I still haven't really started... time is running out!), my job (full time until I go back to uni in Oct) and the imminent new computer build I'm making for my brother. He's off to uni at the end of the month and has only my 5 year old PC with my spare screen and peripherals. Being a music student he is going to need something a little better so I've decided to make a budget gaming/working PC for him that will count as his birthday presents for the next three years! The spec so far is as follows:

CPU: E8400 Intel Core 2 Duo (3.0GHz)
    Mobo: Abit Fatal1ty FP-IN9 SLi 775
    RAM: 4GB DDR2
    GPU: XFX 8800GT Alpha Dog (512MB)
    PSU: OCZ 600SXS
    Case: Antec 300 (with extra fans)
    Cooler: Arctic Freezer 7
    Optical: DVD Lightscribe Writer
    HDD: 500GB + 180GB + 80GB
    Periph's: Classic Dell k/b and mouse, wireless adapter etc
    Screen: Dell 1908FPb
    Printer: Dell Printer/Scanner

Total cost of all the above: ~£150

I'll detail the build here rather than start another thread. I have the motherboard, screen, periph's, HDDs, DVD writer and printer here waiting, hoping more will turn up today. :)

13. Huge

Huge aka Dave

Today I stress tested my rig before I put my new cooler in. Here are the results:

i5 2500k @ 3.3GHz (no OC) with stock cooler.

Under no stress:
    Ambient Temp: 22.5
    Av Core Temp: 32.5
    Delta T: 10.0

After 1h15 on Prime95 (100% CPU, 25% RAM)
    Ambient Temp: 22.1
    Av Core Temp: 75.5
    Delta T: 53.4

After 1h30 on Prime95 and 15m on FurMark:
    Ambient Temp: 22.3
    GPU Temp: 88.0
    GPU Delta T: 65.7

Here are the graphs and readings:

Prime95:
    [​IMG]

With FurMark:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cooling down:
    [​IMG]

I think those Delta Ts aren't bad. Once I've added the H-50 and my new GPU fan I'll retest and hopefully that'll come down further. Then I can overclock my processor!

Having heard bad things about RAID 0 with the Asus board, and also having found out that my 500GB HDD I already had that was in that RAID was a 5400rpm one, I decided to remove the extra HDD and just have the 64GB SSD with 500GB F3 for the system and a 1TB F3 in the hot swappable bay. This gave me more space for cable routing so I took out all the fans and cables, and the GPU, and rearranged the cables to make them tidier. Still a squeeze though! No pictures of this uploaded, I'm too tired to bother now, I'll put some up tomorrow.

G'night!

Last edited: 16 Sep 2011
  14. Huge

Huge aka Dave

Thanks, glad you like it! Not quite sure I understand what you mean about the TP, it was there in case I dropped paint on the floor or something, luckily I didn't have to use it.

Here are the pictures of the slightly tidier wiring. Looking at it you'd think it still needs tidying but for an FT03 it isn't too bad! I wish I'd got the silverstone short cable PSU and kit now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Huge

Huge aka Dave

After two weeks of waiting for my 5th floor package I gave up and contacted parcel monkey (who I made the delivery order through) asking to claim from insurance. I'd emailed Nightfreight twice (ignored), called four times and been offered a call back (which never happened) and suddenly within two hours of Parcel Monkey saying they would look into it and set up the claim I get a call from Nightfreight who tell me they are doing their best to find my package. (No jokes about small packages please ;)).

Perhaps some time soon I will get my flooring, if not I'll take the insurance pay out and not bother with the wood flooring for now (as I'm going back to uni soon).

16. BoogieMan

BoogieMan Cunny Funt

Lol. I find kitchen roll works best.

17. komm

komm What's a Dremel?

nice build, like the case, would get one if it held a full ATX :/

18. Huge

Huge aka Dave

Finally finished the shelf in my cupboard! Now I have a shelf next to my bed for my lamp, phone charger and radio alarm clock, plus the storage space is hidden so it all looks a lot tidier. Pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In my boxers (cheeky!)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And to finish for tonight, here are some nice panoramic shots. I wish I had a nice camera with fancy lenses to get everything but my Galaxy S2's camera will have to do!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next step? I'd like to get that second desk cut to size and put back in. However, I'm off to Exeter on the weekend for some red trail mountain biking with a couple of mates so that will have to wait until next week! That and my brother's surprise computer :)

19. Huge

Huge aka Dave

Whilst I was away for the weekend my next purchase arrived :)

[​IMG]

Also, I put up my other two screens, having only one was bumming me out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a couple of snaps from the weekend

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Took my helmet cam again, got some good footage. It think I broke it before we left though! I'll have to see if I can get it working tonight. Once I'm done editing some video footage I'll upload it and link it to here in case anyone's interested.

20. Huge

Huge aka Dave

Been a busy few days! Unfortunately not much to report here because it's all been biking. No bad falls for me by my mate came off four times, last one saw his helmet in two pieces but luckily nothing major to him! Had lots of packages :)

[​IMG]