1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows The World of Warplanes Thread

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Krikkit, 8 Aug 2011.

1. bagman

bagman Minimodder

I would like to know what are they going to do for maps. Is it all going to be high up in the sky or can you dive down and chase people through cities and valleys.

2. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

More concerningly; how are they going to start the fights? A bunch of floating planes in mid-air before setting off? Or do we actually have to try and pull Takeoffs and Landings to survive?

3. Stewb

Stewb What's a Dremel?

They have confirmed that takeoffs and landings are not present. I guess everyone will just be at slowest speed at the start, perhaps the countdown will see you flying into combat zone?

EDIT: I am desperately trying to find the source, I'm pretty sure they did. I have found though that they are thinking of implementing a system that if you are critically damaged you can land the plane to leave the battle without suiciding.

4. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

Saw a video regarding this, they plan a campaign link up between this, World of Tanks and World of Battleships. Clan battles will involve three matches - sea, air and land - to control territory. It's also going to be one account for all three, credits, gold and free XP shared between them (5:54 onwards).

Interesting info about the control system as well - they plan on it becoming more complex as you go up the tiers.

Lizard, can you confirm if joystick support will be present at launch or if it will be a later implementation? My X52 Pro has gathered more than enough dust.

5. Stewb

Stewb What's a Dremel?

Joystick support has been confirmed and for once I can find the source!

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2011/08/19/world-of-warplanes-requires-more-skill-than/1

6. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

Can we call it WoWP please? Otherwise this might get confusing :S

Joystick support, yay :) Enjoyed WoT throughout the beta, cba to play any more though. WoWP could be fun (or I could invest in another beta, ha).

7. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Does this hint at missions which perhaps have a squadron or two of bombers flying over which have to be intercepted? Or maybe installations on the ground to be strafed?

My mind is putting two and two together and coming up with awesome here lol

EDIT: I'm liking the mentions of later, early jets up to around 1960 for higher tiers.
    With any luck...
    Me-163 Komet - (was German not British Mr.Interviewer ;))
    Me-262 Mmmmmmmmmmmmm awesome.
    De Havilland Vampire
    F86 Sabre
    Gloucester Meteor
    British Electric Lightning

I'm quite excited about what might be in there.

Last edited: 4 Sep 2011
  8. Stewb

Stewb What's a Dremel?

I know it's not a question but I would like you to register my displeasure that there will be no British planes at launch, no Spitfire, Hurricane etc :(... That would be like launching WoT without the Tiger or T34...

I know, spin it into a question ;) How long until British planes?

9. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

I'm with you on that and vainly hoping that they'll realise that to release WoWP without Spitfires would be rather stupid.

10. Grimloon

Actually, I'm more interested in what should end up as a British mid to high tier - the Hawker Sea Fury, somewhat superior to the Supermarine Spitfire. Hopefully they'll include the Hawker Tempest as well - the aircraft the Sea Fury grew out of.

Also don't forget aircraft like the de Haviland Mosquito or the Bristol Beaufighter - truly excellent war planes. I hope that they skip the Boulton Paul Defiant though as that would be a touch awkward to use to say the least.

I have a definite preference for anything that came out of Kingston (Hawker, later Hawker Siddeley) though as those are the designs devised by the late, great Sydney Camm. If they do go as far as 1960 though that would include the Hawker Siddeley P.1127/Kestrel - the prototype for the Harrier. Not really fair on everyone else if they include that one!

A mildly amusing anecdote related to that, my father was asked last year by a member of the Hawker society if he could identify people in a photograph taken of the design team for the Harrier as they knew he'd worked there at the time. His answer? "Of course. To start with that's me" :D

I've grown up with the history of British aviation filling my ears from someone involved in it and there's no way in all fairness that I can play any other nation seriously. Russian is a given considering the nationality of the company, German is a must as they had some of the most advanced designs of the time but US over British at launch? Not happy. I can understand why (to appeal to the transatlantic audience that might otherwise not be too fussed) but it doesn't mean i have to like it.

+1 to Stewb's question - how soon do we get the machines that made "British Engineering" a description to be proud of?

11. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

The Mosquito is my favourite aircraft of all time, closely followed by the Vulcan (oh my god, that noise! HOOWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!)

Now you've put it that way i have to agree, having the greater machines further up the tiers for the British aircraft would work nicely. Although with you suggesting twin engined aircraft (Mosquito, Beaufighter) you've remnding me of the Westland Whirlwind, not the most maneuverable or fast of fighters but it could take a serious beating before it went down.

I knew the Harrier prototypes were around that time but wasn't sure exactly when, a quick wiki says November 1960, pushing it a little lol but who cares, it's ours! :clap:

That said, some others were of equally early times. F4 Phantom II was flown in 1958 and was in service shortly after (not sure when)

P.S. Loving how there's some proper aviation nuts here :D

12. Grimloon

Punish the heretic! Cardinal Biggles, fetch...the comfy chair! My father was on the Victor design team and has appropriately "educated" me on the superiority of the Victor over the Vulcan. Then again, HX558 only flew again partly due to his efforts - Marshall Aerospce in Cambridge had the contract and he was one of the project leads so I can't say that he hates it, just found it an inelegant solution.

The Messerschmitt Bf 110 was a pre war twin engined design, retro fitted as a night fighter. The Americans had the P-38 Lightning, we were a touch late to the game on twin engined aircraft. First ones (IIRC) were Bristol Blenheims refitted for a fighter rather than bomber role.

I think the first successful VTOL tests were around June/July but I'll ask the oracle at the weekend - he's working away at the moment (at 78 years old too).

I'm not sure myself but I hope that they stick with primarily WW2 aircraft and a few of the Wunderwaffe prototypes as going to later aircraft will seriously unbalance things. Komet and Meteor really ought to be the last.

Let's just say that where most children got a "Well done!" for paper aeroplanes I generally received a design critique! Military Technology (an MoD/industry monthly I think) was my reading material as a child, as well as anything else with a plane in it. I can't fly myself (vertigo's a bitch) but I've always been fascinated by them and it's literally been what I grew up with. I stick with RC ones and spent the bank holiday weekend at the BMFA Nationals just watching what can be done with them. I haven't made it to Farnborough yet but it's my turn for the spare ticket next time so hopefully next year.

Aviation is in both the blood and the upbringing. Nut? I don't think so but I only have myselves to go by :p Don't mention the Eurotrash Eurofighter or F35 and rant mode should be safely switched to off.

13. Stewb

Stewb What's a Dremel?

It has been confirmed that planes will go as late as the korean war, so the early 50s. This will be OK as long as they don't bork the matchmaking system up (which TBH judging by WoT might be an issue in cases).

14. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

You're quite safe :lol: Of the current generation I'd take a Raffale or SU-37 over anything else.

15. Grimloon

Raffale is so sweet, seriously tempted by a scale RC one the other weekend (BMFA Nationals - fun weekend) but I didn't have £1,500 spare plus another £2,000 for the engine. Downer, that would have been serious fun to fly :( Then again, I'd probably only have crashed it so I saved myself a bit of money there :p

I'd prefer an S-37 (aka SU-47) over the SU-37 - a truly awesome machine with typical Russian engineering. If it ain't there it can't break, aka the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) principle. Where we and the Americans made it more complicated they made it simpler and more efficient - why use flush rivets on the tail end of a supersonic aircraft as the only time it significantly affects drag is after the boundary layer has formed at supersonic speeds, rendering the initial reason totally irrelevant in the first place? Why not keep the same cockpit design between aircraft? At least the pilot is already familiar with all of the instruments and controls before they start retraining for a different machine. We still stand to learn a lot from Russian aeronautical design.

16. bagman

bagman Minimodder

I found a picture of the game.
    [​IMG]

17. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

A Polikarpov I-16.
    Been shoting down those in Panzer Corps.

18. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

19. bushi

bushi What's a Dremel?

You say that now...

20. DraigUK

DraigUK Minimodder

If this resembles the old Wireplay game of Air Attack from back in the day (it probably will) I know I'll spend a lot of in it. Ahhhhh....memories....