1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Witcher 2 Crash

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Jaybles, 4 Sep 2011.

1. Jaybles

Jaybles Minimodder

The Witcher 2 crashes at the same place every time the scene shows its face. I cant avoid the quest as its on the main storyline.

It happens just after I've arrived in Vergen and once Saskia has been poisoned. It then cuts to a scene that doesn't load textures properly and crashes to desktop.

Please help Bit. This is not fun!

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I am not there yet in the game (took a break, due to other project).
    Make sure the game is fully updated, and that you have the latest drivers for your GPU (uninstall the old one, and install the new one)

If that does not help, than try lowering the graphic settings at total minimum until you pass that point. If that does not work, load a previous saved point, and repeat the whole process until you get there again, and see if it worked (Wither 1 had a similar bug (before the Enhanced edition patch), hence why I suggest that).

Jaybles likes this.
  3. Draksis

Draksis What's a Dremel?

.... and after all that, you may need to reinstall as it could be a corrupt texture file, and that cut-scene has a specific texture it never used before.

Jaybles likes this.
  4. Jaybles

Jaybles Minimodder

I recently updated them but I will try removing them and reinstalling.

I did have my card overclocked with the graphics settings higher than at first. I then removed my overclock and set it to recommended settings but this didn't make any difference. I will try minimum settings.

I have to each time I go through this, but I could try the one previous to that I suppose.

I was thinking that I may need to do this. :( Do you know where I can find my save file to Backup before I do this?

Thanks

5. law99

law99 Custom User Title

It's in "my documents" somewhere called witcher 2 or something obvious. I found it not even looking for it.

TBH, I bought mine through gog and although the game seems to have worked fine, I can't say anything good about the way the game updates. It reggistered itself ok and then none of the online stuff from the launch menu worked. So reinstall is best bet.

Jaybles likes this.
  6. Draksis

Draksis What's a Dremel?

The save games *should* stay behind after an uninstall ( if the uninstall doesn't ask if you want to remove them or not).

As far as I remember (can't check now) its Start -> Documents -> My Games -> Witcher 2

Not sure about the "My Games" it may just be Documents -> Witcher 2, but I'll check tonight and come back to you if you can't find them. :thumb:

EDIT: :sigh: ninja'ed :p

7. Jaybles

Jaybles Minimodder

Aah ok then. Thanks. I wasn't being stupid I just couldn't get at my computer to have a look see.

Ta again.

Edit:
    I have tried updating drivers and setting to minimum graphics.
    I have tried the game at minimum.
    No luck :(

On the reinstall now, but as the game is 17GB and my lovely rural UK broadband is rubbish it will be about 9 hours before I can see if it works.

Ok the reinstall worked. +rep everyone.

Thanks. I'm happy now.

Last edited: 6 Sep 2011
  8. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Ouch. Yeah that is a while. I waited 5 hours to play mine and a dodgy gfx card overclock ****ed up the first 20 minutes and the rest of my day!!! The card just started behaving itself the next day. Odd.

9. GoodBytes

Wait what? 5 hours to install the Witcher 2?
    I guess you assume a slow download connection.

I got the GOG version, assuming fully downloaded game setup.exe, it only take several minutes to install, like any other big game.

10. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Yeah. It was just a slow download. I also got the gog version. The registration has been bs for me though.

11. GoodBytes

I don't recall a registration... Oh yea... that was optional... I guess that was just a bad server day, as we can call it.

12. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Lol. They must have been suffering from pmt as they had a bad server day for quite a while! Maybe I shouldn't have jumped in with what I want first?