1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LOL Mornington Crescent

Discussion in 'General' started by Dave Penguin, 22 May 2008.

1. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

I assume the DaVinci rule (fortified by the HG Wells variation of '88) is playable and I can join the game 2 years ago when it started?

If so, id like to place myself at Canary Wharf.

edit: miscalculated the destination and was pastly at Canary Wharf but am presently at London Bridge.

2. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

Seeing as no one has reached 'THE GOAL' yet, I feel we must delve back into 'THE GAME' and play on.

I've been in a public house in Stockwell for multiple weeks now and this has allowed me to save up a massive 15 tokens and a double turn around noon time. I roll a 14.5 twice, once off of a wall, and using my ticket saved from an earlier and picking up 2 sticks I end up back on the concourse at Charring Cross. Looks like it's going to take me a while to get anywhere as I've been penalised for rolling halfs as according to Nostradamus' volume 14 (1566 edition) supplement 12 paragraph 4.

3. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

No, I think the penalty you are suffering is from a classic bungle that is becoming more prevalent. The 14.5 should have only been rolled off a wall. Still, it was worth it just to see the expression on the monkeys face.

After spending a glorious childhood at Grange Hill and collecting a semi-precious zammo token I roll a shoe, trip over a cup of iced tea and catch myself in Wimbledon. After a brief flick through Roger's Pocket Book for Dangerous Bananas Vol. IXMM I find I can only enjoy bicycles for half a go unless I turn a dolphin.

4. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

LMAO! What the hell is this thread about? I'm confused.

5. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I regret to inform you that NF Stovold's "Mornington Crescent: Rules & Origins" has been out of print for some time.

You may, however be able to find one of the following:-

The Little Book of Mornington Crescent (2001; ISBN 0-7528-1864-3)
    Stovold's Mornington Crescent Almanac (2001; ISBN 0-7528-4815-1)

6. Digi

Well played indeed, we would not want to 'give the game away' ah-ha. ha..

(Nealieboyee - wikipedia ;)

7. st00dent

st00dent Minimodder

It's been a while since I played, can anyone remind me if I can use the current market value of LLOY + the % change @ time of posting or do I have to wait until the market closes?

Currently at Walthamstow Central, if I get a +2 I can take Blackhorse Road too!

8. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Short answer it depends...

If were playing strictly to the 1993 Global Markets revision (Hunterston Et al) then you'll have to wait for the close but tbh I don't think any one is that fussy round here.

Any way Marble Arch :naughty:

9. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Hm. Essex Road.

I'm using the Burke periphery advantage, so the next player cannot intercept my direction of face on a westbound line.

10. Digi

Denied! You can't do that unless until Sunday afternoon at 13 pm o'clock and not in this dimension at all.. tsk amateurs. :duh:

As a day has passed my penalty has worn off and thus I take the northern line from Charring X northwise until my goodwill runs out and I'm forced to step off at Tottenham Court Road. Rolling repeated 3.5's on a D12 seems to be ineffective and I have only 1 jack left out of a pack which I'm saving for a rainy day.
    I'm content to bed down in a doorway with the 'locals' (not as far down as old compton street!) for the evening and play out of the revised Hobo Playbook (only 1 edition due to paper shortage) and save myself for further turns.

11. Digi

Well, well, well. After a period of some starvation and general holes-in-all-clothes-especially-boots problem I've missed enough turns to be able to move on.

Due to rain I move immediately to the Circle line (which is no circle at all) and proceed westwise facing rearly and land at cannon street. Using the Royal Observatory revised and just released 2012 rulebook (with accompanying appendices) I chance my arm and use the Jack I had saved previously to move betwixt and henceforth end up at Warren Street.

12. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Dolphin turned (wahey!) I expose myself to all those at Baker Street. In the best possible taste, of course. Don't worry, after checking Durling and Wimplespoon's Further Further Revised Vol II as long as I used a banana (which I did) it's a legal move.

13. m0o0oeh

m0o0oeh Minimodder

Well, I'm Sorry, I Don't Have A Clue, so I'm going to start in the only place I know - Wind Street.

14. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Well, as long as you're not on WInd Street at the weekend, you'll be fine. It'll take quite a bit of time to get to your nearest tube station, though, so you might want to consider reading up on the Boner-Kolesar amendments & corrections to the 2018 edition of the ruleset while you're waiting (pay particular attention to the addendum point 23.1.5.75.2 para 19 subesction 32 relating to "The Lord's Meadow").

Meantime, I roll an imaginary die which lands on an imaginary number and move an imaginary number of places around the board to arrive quite by happenstance at Harrow & Wealdstone. In accordance with the Barnes & Carpentier ruleset of 1879, I pick up an additional Chance card, which tells me that I have won a beauty contest and I pocket a rather handsome £73.20 from the other players.

15. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I'm afraid I don't approve of the pandering and over-simplification in those rulebooks, so I'm going to defer to my 1683 edition for consistency's sake.

My Burke advantage was disallowed last time round. According to the 1683 edition, a change in carriage shifts allows me to still make it to Essex Road, but at the cost of all my manna. I guess I'll just play the lottery for one turn. As per Mandel's amendment I must use only prime numbers. I roll a 6 and win £250. I convert this into bus coupons and take a bus to Sable Street.

And don't get on my back about the Swindell bus driver rules, my rulebook was written before they were added and I won't abide by them.

edit - Fibblebot, would you like to trade my £73.20 back in exchange for three bus coupons?

Last edited: 5 Dec 2011
  16. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

I see that this game has been in play for a couple of years, so basically you guys are still in the opening sequence of rounds. Therefore I assume that it is safe for a latecomer to join in?

I trust you are familiar with the second edition of the revised Heyerdahl ruleset - the advanced omnibus of '51 obviously - and that it should pose no problem that I wish to jump right in at London Bridge whilst forfeiting all my on-hand cards and paying two tokens and a persian cat in doing so?

17. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

I think we're using the later Hesselberg-Raaby version of the Heyerdahl ruleset, so you can't play the Persian cat in your first turn. Welcome to the game!

elephant, no thanks to your offer. I'm aware of the Vanderhorst gambit you're trying to play on me, and it won't work!

18. RevDarny

RevDarny Minimodder

It's taken me some time to read though the game play and using my map I think I have a good idea of where everyone is. Going by the fact that this game is in it's second trimester I'll take a turn.

Using Eton mess rules i've thrown an 11C. This has had adverse affects due to the season and i've ended up at in High Barnet.

19. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

20. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Did you remember to account for inflation? X-mas is almost upon us, and as such this is an important point since Eton mess specifically asks for adjustments to each throw according to inflation due to seasonal fluctuations. With inflation your throw would be 12E, not 11C. Just a pointer though, as I'm sure this would have no severe impacts on your game thus far. Nice move btw.

Aw drat! I forgot about Hesselberg's Ailurophobia.

OK, so the persian cat is out of play at this time. However, I think I have deviced a fairly devious next couple of rounds - provided you all play according to my plans of course, and using the Tsiolkovsky gambit invented in the damn near terrifying Soviet tournament of '74 I draw four new cards, roll a D20 for 12.75 (not accounting for inflation) and pay three tokens. This should get me to St. Paul's Bank, but one of the tokens were reversed! Damn and Blast! Thus I am forced to move to Elephant & Castle. Crap.

Hopefully I can get on a bus next round, if the Hesselberg-Raad revision allows me to play the persian in my third round as a latecomer. I will consult my rulebooks.

Last edited: 7 Dec 2011