1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi The World Of Tanks thread

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by octoberfest, 17 Feb 2010.

1. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

research tank

buy tank

research and buy tracks

research and buy engine

research towards a gun you like the look of inc turret

buy turret & gun (Making sure you've reloaded your ammo)

Repeat until around t4, as your speed at low tiers is VERY important.

After that you should have a good idea about how to progress. Remember that most heavy modules (guns) will require upgraded tracks.

2. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

I would advise to aim to keep 3 tanks in the garage as a minimum - start with the base one for USSR, USA and Germany - and then play one TD, one tank and one SPG until you get the feel for which play-style you like best. After that, I'd just aim for Tier 5 in whichever trees you're progressing.

I find it's useful to have at least 3 tanks on the go, simply because you may get killed early in a game or two, so you've got at least 1 more to play with while the others are locked into the battle.

3. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

Fixed it for ya!

4. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

+ 1 to trying a one of each type through the lower tier
    eg spg/td/heavy/medium/td
    heavy/medium don't truly differentiate until tier 5 but you can get a feel if you prefer slow with good armour/hp or mobile

Progressing tanks to the high tiers takes a long time or is very expensive in real £ so you need to be certain of which 2/3 styles of play you want to follow to beyond tier 4/5

5. j.col

j.col Minimodder

thanks guys for the quick responses :thumb:

6. Slink

Slink B7

Seen this at a lan the other week, gonna give it a go tonight i reckon, just waiting on the download finishing. what;s it like for solo?

7. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

Variable but generally enjoyable. You'll get battles where no one on your side appears to have a clue, others where they work like a well oiled machine. Fairly typical for anything MMOish where PUGs are concerned.

Your mileage may vary but it's pretty easy to pick up, hard to master (I'm nowhere near that and I'm primarily focussing on one area) and a hell of a lot of fun. Drop in to the bit-gamer channel and have a chat once you've installed the game. The resident gurus (I'm definitely not one of them) can generally fill you in.

I have a few lower tier tanks and a spare slot so can grab a Loltractor or similar if you'd like to play in a platoon for a little bit of newbie coaching on the game mechanics. Best I can offer as I'm completely clueless beyond a tier 3 tank unless it's artillery (then I'm just mostly clueless :p).

8. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

Most play is solo. The max group is 3 player platoons while clan war stuff is solely the domain of tier 10 tanks which take 2000-3000 battles to get too and that will need to be done solo or in platoon size groups when friends are on.

9. j.col

j.col Minimodder

i have been just playing for a week now.
    it does look daunting at first, having to get used to the maps, how to shoot properly etc....
    but once you get a few kills, and get used to the maps, combat etc... its brilliant

some excellent tips and advice here http://www.worldoftanksguide.com/guide-before-combat.shtml

10. Booga

Booga Cuppa tea anyone?

TBH I prefer it solo as you can play your game on the occasions I have got into a platoon with friends (from work) it always seems as if you are compromising to suit their play style.
    Perhaps I haven't had enough experience of platoons yet and my impression would change as I got more used to being in one.

This is a particularly well executed tank tree database http://www.wotdb.info/

11. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

You might just need to find someone you balance more with. I play with Lizard & 23ro when I can, and I find their style of play exceptional and easy to fit with, however I have some friends in my clan that I just can't play this with even though we make a great team in other games.

Big rep to our epic platoon. :clap:

12. Slink

Slink B7

think i'll have to put this off till the weekend, it's ready to go but i have **** to do :(

13. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

I agree with this guy. When I play with 2 of my friends in particular, we all do really well, but platooned with others that aren't used to our...aggressiveness it tends not to pan out well. A platoon that works well together is much more rewarding than the best solo game ever.

14. j.col

j.col Minimodder

today, i seen a tank with a blue diamond over him.
    usually its green vs red, so what was this?

15. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

I always play solo; I just can't dedicate enough time to platoon up.

I don't have much spare gaming time, with the kids to see to, and I only ever play in 15 - 30 minute blocks; sometimes longer but I can never guarantee it.

Still it's an enjoyable game to solo.

16. The Monk

The Monk Minimodder

I think blue means that they were naughty, naughty, very naughty and killed a team mate instead of an enemy. :naughty:

17. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

Blue means team killer, you're free to kill them with no penalty.

18. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

I think it's something like more than 1 tk in 5 matches.

19. Stewb

Stewb What's a Dremel?

It means they are a TKer and can be killed without consequence. There are behind the scenes checks going on meaning if you accidentally damage someone you won't be flagged. If you do it over many matches though you will be, but only if you offend in the match you are currently in I'm pretty sure.

20. Booga

Booga Cuppa tea anyone?

That brings up an interesting point.
    I use one of the colour blind mods that changes all enemy from red to a light blue.
    What sort of shade of blue is TK?
    I've never seen one myself.

I also use the larger map mod in conjunction with the colour blind mod. It has made a massive difference especially when playing arty.

What mods do other people use?