1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films Help me identify this movie

Discussion in 'General' started by Journeyer, 7 Sep 2011.

1. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

It's more along the lines of fantasy/sci-fi comedy horror, but I really can't remember - since remembering that I had forgotten the title of this movie, it's been driving me INSANE! :wallbash:

2. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

:D Thanks guys. Got lucky on that one, I had been talking about this film only a couple of days ago with a colleague. As I said, one of my faves, must try and dig up a copy again.

3. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Lenny, any more details you can remember? I'll throw Night of the Demons out there. There are so many movies that follow that scenario.

4. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

A couple of unsolved cases here, and I feel I have to add one more.

Years ago, even longer ago than the first movie I asked about, I watched this sci-fi flick. At the time I couldn't have been more than 11-12 years old. Anyway, I only remember a scene from the ending of the movie.

One sequence in the movie, probably near the ending, showed a large ship floating over a group of people on the ground. A hatch opens up at the bottom of the ship, and then the group of people on the ground are shot with star wars-esque red and green lasers.

That's it. If you can get this one much rep will be given, and Bindi will name his first-born after your on-line handle.

5. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

The house film sounds a bit like Clue, which is basically a film version of Cluedo. Tim Curry was in it (the butler I think) and the big gimmick was that there were three different endings for the cinema version and you didn't know which one it would be. However the VHS/TV/DVD version had all three endings one after the other and at the end of the film each of the murders were acted out by Tim Curry's character in rapid fashion. From memory I enjoyed it at the time, not sure if I would have the same opinion today.

Is that the one you're thinking of?

Re the spaceship film, the information is a bit vague, can you give any more? Such as cast, characters, is it on earth or a future planet, American made or not, big budget or bargin basement, etc, etc.

Last edited: 8 Sep 2011
  6. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

That's just it; it's been so long that that's all I remember. I think it was on Earth however, and I think it was american, but it could have been british.

7. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

Ok, how about the ship itself, was it a rip off of another famous one, if not can you roughly remember what it looked like?

8. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Nah it's not that. But you are spot on regarding the "strangers trapped in a mansion/hotel" scenario - I spent at least an hour last night tearing my hair out because there are SO MANY of them!!! I think that when I watched it I missed the start, which is why I can remember only parts of it. But I remember the end very clearly, which made it seem almost sci-fi/fantasy-esque - the boy/girl (main?) characters burst through large doors (or maybe a window) into broad daylight, escaping the terror of the building, and it's a very surreal ending.

But the movie itself is defninitely not about demons/ghosts, just lots of people in a weird mansion or hotel and one of them is a killer who is picking them off one by one (definitely not Clue!!!). The horror aspect is more comedic than anything else, as far as I can remember anyways. ARGH! :D :D

9. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

Is that the one with Billie Piper in it? Spirit Trap I believe its called.

Or how about 1408 with John Cusack & Samuel L Jackson?

10. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I have a film I'd like the name of, but I only remember brief flashes and I'm not sure I could make the information coherent enough to get an answer.

Urgh I'm gonna have a stab at it anyway.

The film had a male protagonist who trained with a blind master, he had to carry this hot brazier type thing as part of his training and it burnt a symbol onto his arms (dragon?). Later in the film a street pedlar gave him a trinket that ended up protecting him from a flying...thing, a demon maybe. I also remember him trying to get through a test where he had to carry a glass of water while jumping from pole to pole, without spilling any and without falling into the pit.

That's about the most sense I can make of those childhood memorys.

11. SeT

SeT What's a Dremel?

That sounds like just about every martial arts movie ever made. A couple come to mind though:
    Iron Monkey
    House of the Flying Daggars

Fizzban likes this.
  12. Fizzban

I know I know. It's neither of those though, I have both of them. Thanks for trying..I shall rep you energetically for the effort.

13. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

@ Fizzban, is it Master of the Flying Guillotine?

Fraid not, but thanks for trying - I want to say it's an older movie, because it's been a while since I watched it and it was on TV.

Fizzban likes this.
  14. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

@Fizzban It's the one with Eddie Murphy in it... uhm... got it; The Golden Child.

Well, to be fair, most sci-fi films of this kind made in the eighties were rip-offs of Star Wars (hence the Star Wars-esque laser effects), and I think I remember (though I'm not sure) that the ship was triangular in shape. The problem is; I remember that one scene - I can even see it quite clearly, but the details elude me. There's a group of people on the ground, main characters among them, they are huddling with nowhere to run, a ship moves in overhead enveloping the people in shadow (which I think was triangular). Then the hatch opens up, and the people on the ground are slaughtered with a barrage of laser fire.

Last edited: 9 Sep 2011
    Fizzban likes this.
  15. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

@Lennyrhys - Okay, any notions of the approximate decade the film was made, I'm assuming it wasn't a black & white film so that would rule out some of the older classics like the original of The Haunting.

@Journeyer - I'm afraid I'm stumped on this, I'm presuming the information is too vague for me to latch onto anything or its from something I haven't seen. Either way I have admit defeat with this one.

16. Fizzban

Nope but good try. I want to see that film you mentioned now :D

You legend! Thank you!

I think I may have actually mixed two films together, but that was definitely one of them.

17. t4n6o

t4n6o You know when you've been tangoed

right another one for you, for some reason i got 'the cube' in my head.

there are a bunch of people in a white room (box shaped) and they have to escape from this room by various challenges, however when they escape 1 room the enter another like it, this keeps going on.

I remember watching it some years back but cant remember name of it, as mentioned above i got 'the cube' stuck in my head - checked youtube and IMDB but hey dont seem to jog my memory

any help mucho apreciato

18. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

There are several Cube films though. Cube, Hypercube, Cube Zero, Cube now with no preservatives.

19. deadsea

deadsea What's a Dremel?

Were there any shiny people in it? It sounds like it could have been the 18 bronze men. Except for the demon part though.

All this retro movies and I'm suddenly reminded of the peacock prince. I have the impression that it was dinsinctively entertaining. Wonder if i can dig up the vcd/dvd some where and have a quick recap.

20. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Reading the thread can be beneficial. ;)
    This has been resolved - the movie he refers to is "The Golden Child" with Eddie Murphy.