1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Why have you been kicked out of PC World

Discussion in 'General' started by GaryP, 8 Sep 2011.

1. PabloFunky

PabloFunky What's a Dremel?

No doubt there are some clever people working in these shops from time to time, but normally the clever techs are working in higher paid jobs and you wont see them working in these kinds of places?.

2. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

No offence to anyone who works there, knows someone who works there or has worked there in the past, but the guys in Maplin in Belfast always seem a bit odd to me. Protip: if I come in talking about component specs and asking whether you have this or that, listing component names and part numbers off the top of my head, and you are simply a sales assistant, have the good sense to go and get someone who knows what they are talking about. I have nothing against sales people working in electronics stores, I really don't. I just occasionally need to speak to someone who knows what the words coming out of my mouth mean :sigh:

On-topic: The last time I was in PC world, I was buying a memory card for a digital camera. That was about two years ago, and before that, I can't remember. I just plain don't like the place. Primarily because of the stories I am seeing in this thread. I have as little interest in going near a PC World store as I have in diving off a cliff.

3. Canon

Canon Reformed

Indeedy, once spent a good half hour trying to explain what a front panel was to one of the sales assistants, to his credit he was polite enough and let me explain without trying to blag his way to a sale

4. LJF

LJF Modded

I once overheard a sales assistant 'selling' a laptop to a middle aged couple in Comet by telling them:

"this model has 3gb of RAM, which is enough for a medium size family" :confused:

If I wasn't so hungover at the time I would have interrupted.

5. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

Only space for one suitcase though, no pets allowed.

I suspect PC world actively recruit people who know little about PCs... People like us would just recomend a base system for someone who only uses facebook, that's not good for the profit margins!

6. BenK

BenK Minimodder

The profit margins on the laptops are terrible anyway

7. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

LOL

Reading all these post makes me want to go to PC World just to get thrown out.

8. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

Where I work we dont try to compete with the big stores on pricing on laptops so we still make a good margin so we dont have to upsell/lie to our customers :thumb:

9. GaryP

GaryP RIP Tel

My partner has just reminded me, when she went into PC world last year looking for a netbook (already seen a deal on the net) they tried to flog her Norton. When she said she didn't want it she was was told it wouldn't work without it ! No netbook from there.

Now the Tech Guys are officially dead, I see they have replaced them with another daylight robbery department .... KnowHow

We Knowhow to leave a big hole on your wallet for doing sod all.

Look at these charges !
    http://www.knowhow.com/uk/set-up-upgrade-pillar.aspx

10. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Aren't you clever. :rolleyes:

I can understand the frustration when a person gets kicked out of a store because he or she offered contradictory advice to a fellow customer. We all hate it when shop staff try to sell unnecessary hardware - but that pretty much goes for every market. But going around and altering the merchandise is just childish.

11. GaryP

GaryP RIP Tel

10 PRINT "PC WORLD SUCKS";
    20 GOTO 10
    RUN

:)

LennyRhys likes this.
  12. hyperion

hyperion Minimodder

Out of curiosity, what happens if you don't leave like they ask? Are they allowed to have security force you out or something?

13. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

I can do all of that, I'm going to make MILLIONS!!!£*^

14. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Only been kicked out once as i habitually avoid the place. The only reason I went in was for a couple of fans and i couldn't bothered to wait for a delivery and i was about 5 mins away from it.

Whilst having a quick nose at the ******** i spotted a 2x2GB kit of OCZ Reaper 1066 RAM with a sticker on it saying £19.99 (this was about 3 years ago or something) I couldn't believe my eyes and even grabbed the nearest douche and pointed it out asking 'Is that right?' to which he replied 'If that's whats on there then that's what the price is. Why is that good?' (I **** you not, that's what he said. I think he was meant to be with TV's or something). There was also the same price on the peg it was hanging from.

Obviously i snatched them up pronto only to be told at the till that they didn't show in the system. My response was, 'Well thats no problem just do it as an open department sale, so long as the receipt shows the amount and time i'm cool.' He said he couldn't do that so i said thats fine, fetch a supervisor who then proceeded to accuse me of putting the sticker on it. When i responded with the notion that i did that and also went into their back store area, hacked the instore system and printed off a label for it he did a lot of stammering and went quiet. Much debate and arguing later i threw the fans on the counter and then stormed out threatening authorities at which point the duty manager came after me and offered to resolve the situation. '**** off you useless bunch of *****' was all he got.

15. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

was in downtown san francisco yesterday and saw a guy walking around naked.. apparently it's legal

there's bigger problems in this world.. and wu- I like that you jailbreak the phones.. I would never do that personally, but it's nice to know there's someone out there who does.. maybe a penis wallpaper to finish

it might actually increase sales :hehe:

supermonkey could never understand.. his version of hacking is when a guys pants drop after his belt busts

16. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

One question that needs asking...

WHY ARE YOU PEOPLE IN PC WORLD ANYWAY??!

Seriously now - you know there's nothing good in there. :D

17. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

Technically, (in the UK at least) once you've been asked to leave you are trespassing/breaching the peace, and the police can be called if you don't leave.

18. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

LOL this brings back fond memories of sabotaging all the computers in the tech lab at school :D +rep

Got my MX518 for £24.99 there, better than half price and cheaper than all online stores at the time. PC World generally sucks, but occasionally they have stormin bargains on peripherals and such like :thumb:

19. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

:jawdrop: I'm not charging enough money!
    Not true, you can drop on a bargain now and then, and PCW is fine if you need a cheap printer, quickly.

I got a bargain monitor in the Doncaster store, many moons ago:

It was a CTX 17" CRT monitor (yes, it was that long ago), listed for about £40 less than the best price I'd seen online. Cool, I thought, I'm having that.

The sales assistant vanished into the store room and came back with it, and started in on the extended warranty malarkey.

Sales chap "would you like to cover your purchase with an extended warranty sir?" <big smile>
    me - "nah, these things have a three year manufacturer's warranty anyway"
    him - "yes, but ours covers accidental damage!" <bigger smile>
    me - "I have contents insurance for that"
    him - "But our warranty covers you from the moment you leave the store" <big sh!t-eating grin>
    me - "what, in case I trip and drop it on the way the car?"
    him - "Well, it's possible" <weak smile>
    me - "not if you're carrying it, matey. Follow me!"

I didn't mean to act like a tw@t, but he was winding me up.

20. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I'm amazed you guys even go into PcWorld at all. I can't think of a single reason to. Everything you need is online and is cheaper. I'd rather wait a day or 2 for mail than step foot in those horrible places. They should be burned to the ground.