1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Android v Windows phone 7

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Xye, 8 Sep 2011.

1. Xye

Xye What's a Dremel?

Update Edit:

Urgh. Still swaying back and forth between android and WP7. Downloaded ZUNE to look at the marketplace for windows phone apps.... Not greatly impressive if I'm honest.

WP7-
    Pros- All models will continue to be supported due to the limited number of phones running WP7
    Cons- Poor choice of Apps available,and no customisation. Will this improve? Zune software seems rather annoying to me....

Android-
    Pros- lots of apps available for everything, customisable.
    Cons- Unsure on phone support, Will HTC look after me?

On the basis of this I am leaning slightly toward android....

Original Post:
    I'm considering getting a new mobile. Currently have a Blackberry 8120 which I love but it seems to be getting slower and slower and is getting kind of beat after more than 2 years in my service.

So its time for a upgrade.... but what too?

I like Blackberry, but really there is nothing that appeals to me.

Phones I have been looking at:

HTC 7 Pro

HTC Desire Z

I really like these as having a keyboard slide out from the side seems to me to make so much more sense.

I have no experience with either android or WP7.

Main use of Mobile is picking up emails and texting, hence the physical keyboard.

Anyone have any suggestions or insights on these phones?

Last edited: 15 Sep 2011
  2. murraynt

murraynt Modder

I do alot of texting on my desire and the touch screen is actually quit good.

3. Yeoo

Yeoo Minimodder

Blackberry Torch is seriously good

4. Xye

Xye What's a Dremel?

WHat about the difference in OS? can anyone comment on that?

5. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Have experience with both (Motorola Milestone and Samsung Omnia 7). Android and W7 are both nice, depends on what you do with it.

W7 GUI is really minimalist but this is its strength. Everything is organized in HUB, thus you do not need to switch between social network app.

I'd go with the HTC 7 PRO

6. urobulos

urobulos Minimodder

I'm using the HTC HD2 with the Nexus S ROM. I prefer Android because I use Google services a lot and generally the aps for those are better on Google's OS. Both are a good choice really from a software POV. WP7 looks much more sleek, but seems a bit less practical. The other reason why I prefer Android is because the WP7 hardware choice is much more limited. It's especially disappointing when it comes to screen resolution. There is a spec bump coming soon, but I really don't like how little variety and progress there is on WP7 when it comes to internals.
    Personally I'd go with a Samsung Galaxy S2 or the HTC Sensation because I find hardware keyboards pointless and I like big screens. Not sure what to advise when it comes to keyboard phones, but software wise go Android imho.

PS for texting and emailing I use Swype and I find it to be really accurate and fast, but if you are a long term Blackberry user then maybe it isn't for you.

7. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I don't have a cell phone, but I am not an idiot, and I ask a lot of feedback on people, and I played a lot with different phone.

The Windows Phone 7 is the phone that impressed me the most. It sure lack many features that other phones has AT THE MOMENT, Mango update is supposed to rectify this, and provide additional feature (apparently, based on Microsoft).

Android is a real hit and miss, some phones provide a great interface some don't. Based on the service providers, it makes takes ages to get an update, some provide a choppy crappy interface like it's running on a 30MHz processor, despite having a dual core 1GHz, and some are the reverse.

Windows Phone 7 you have the delay update form ISP, but in Canada, the wait isn't large.
    The interface is faster, smoother, and more responsive than the iPhone. Office is part of it, you have full Microsoft Exchange support. The UI is simple, and straight to the point, and easy to use. The experience is almost the same between all phones. It comes down to how good the touch screen or keyboard is and such. So you can get really go wrong.

8. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Windows Phone 7 is teh sex. I don't know what magic mushrooms Microsoft's developers have been eating lately, but everything they sh*t is pure gold.

9. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

I just bought a Pre 3, which HP discontinued 2 days later >.< Have owned an Android though, and found it to be buggy and unreliable (Motorola Milestone (original) running official 2.2).

WP7 looks pretty.

10. stevenrlp

stevenrlp What's a Dremel?

Seriously Android is the best mobile OS, I feel sorry for those who use anything else. You can customise Android to how you want it and there is a massive community devoted to this at (xda-developers).

End of the day its up to you who u chose to go with, but dude Android (with sense) is the best guaranteed!

11. PhoenixTank

PhoenixTank From The Ashes

The Desire Z can be rooted and you can easily throw CyanogenMod on there. I think the nightly builds are running Android 2.3.5 right now, though I'd suggest the CM 7.1 RC. Just shout if you decide to go down this route, and I'll do what I can to help you get started.
    If that isn't your thing I think the DZ can be officially updated to 2.3.3 (Gingerbread) anyway.
    I've had mine since May. A few issues here and there, but nothing like the issues I've had with my Moto Milestone 2 (another phone with a slide out keyboard).

12. derpooch

derpooch What's a Dremel?

If you don't mind a bit of tinkering, Android is excellent, overclocking, flashing new roms etc. Just make sure that it has an unlocked bootloader so that you can continue to get updates after the manufacturer ceases to support your model. With regards to lag, as long as the phone is reasonably well specced, you don't get any (my milestone experienced lag until I decided to OC it xD)

One of my favourite parts of the OS is the number of free, ad supported apps, just worth a quick mention! :)

13. Jaybles

Jaybles Minimodder

Android for me too. The wider selection of apps. The amount of customization options. Its awesome. Having said that I have used a WP7 recently and was surprised by the smoothness and sleekness of the OS.

14. Xye

Xye What's a Dremel?

Seems rather hit and miss with android from comments.

From reading about it MS has been rather specific on what hardware their OS is put on so its pretty much guaranteed to be a decent experience.

However, Android has far more Apps and is more customisable...

15. GuilleAcoustic

From my experience, Android is very hardware dependant. I recommand it, but take something with a good hardware, else it can be a terrific and sluggish experience.

There is more app on Android, but there is also a LOT of useless apps. My milestone (droid in US) is broken and I had to get an affordable mobile ... went for an HTC wildfire (Android 2.2). It has a 500 MHz CPU + 384Mo RAM, but trust me it is very not smooth.

16. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I'm unsure whether that's supposed to paint them in a good light.. or not.. hmm lol.

17. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

I develop Games for the WP7 and can only agree with Nexxo they really have come up trumps, absolutely everything on the phone is very well interconnected, makes an Iphone appear very blocky in design.

18. GuilleAcoustic

even w/o WP7 an iPhone appear very blocky ... isn't that the core of apple systems : BLOCKING :D

19. Xye

Xye What's a Dremel?

Android certainly seems to have more apps....

A question: You talk about rooting a phone? how easy is it and if something goes wrong how likely is it that the phone will become unusable?

20. stevenrlp

stevenrlp What's a Dremel?

It's so simple to root your Android phone, most phones now have a "one click method" and others can be officially unlocked by the manufactures webpage. BUT in most cases this can void your warranty, so you will need to return the phone to stock before sending it back for repair which is very easy. Just follow the instructions and you can't go wrong.