1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Modern Warfare 3 LAN support confirmed

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 9 Sep 2011.

1. spectre456

spectre456 What's a Dremel?

oh, that. Well that's how they get you to read news these days. i've become numb to it to be quite fair.

2. Bede

Bede Minimodder

I disagree - look at Starcraft 2, currently far and away the most popular competitive esport; it manages fine without modding. All they need to do is just integrate the laddering properly, they already have a larger playerbase then Starcraft.

3. Stewb

Stewb What's a Dremel?

I think the reason he says CoD needs modding is because it is hideously unbalanced ;)

SC2 on the other hand was built from the ground up for the competitive scene and, like the original, balanced for the purpose from day 1.

4. Toploaded

Toploaded What's a Dremel?

Great news and a welcome turn around, hope more games strive to include these things again in future.

5. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Pretty much this.

I hate CoD and I have no intention whatsoever of buying MW3 but unfortunately we cannot deny the impact and influence of CoD on the industry right now, so hopefully the return of LAN support can set a positive precedent.

The very first comment made me facepalm, though. :rolleyes:

6. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Let me correct that for you Wu: Tanks, Jets and Choppers. Feel better? ;)

7. Glix

Glix Left Thumb Stick in the mud.

8. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

In other news.... [insert next AAA release] has mouse and keyboard support.

9. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

Lulz :)

10. GameTraveler

GameTraveler What's a Dremel?

Really? The size of the LAN doesn't matter so much as being able to manage a server that doesn't require some sort of heartbeat to a master server. Competitive "eSports", whether it's a private offline practice for a team or a LAN setting, is better served by dedicated on-site LAN servers.

Why does a LAN have a mandatory requirement for an internet connection to be a successful LAN (regardless of size)? What's the point of any LAN if an internet connection is absolutely required? Counter-Strike (1.6 and Source), Team Fortress 2, CoD4, much of the Quake series and many other games are very much alive and largely successful from having both mod-ability and dedicated local servers (without needing a GSP to manage the files).

Steam and Steamworks is a pain in the @$$. You've never had to host any event (again, regardless of size, from 15 small to over 300) only to have the client side part of Steam cripple your event tournaments. The "offline" ability doesn't 100% guarantee to work. Oddly enough, Valve does have a local/LAN dedicated server version of Steam--not that they'll let that out of their sight.

Lastly, SC2 would be better served by the local/LAN dedicated server component being made available to Event organizers (it does exist, but Blizzard only used it at their own events). SC made it's large following by having both the mod-ability and lack of requiring an online server heartbeat. Where would DoTA be otherwise?

11. freshsandwiches

freshsandwiches Can I do science to it?

I rather enjoyed the blops free weekend on Steam. Haters gonna hate, but the game was fun, and it certainly amused me for a weekend. If MW3 takes this forward then I can see it being a lot of fun.

I refrained from buying as the next releases are around the comer in terms of BF3 and MW3, and I still have BFBC2 to keep me more than occupied until then. I did however pick up the CoD Warchest, which after all this time is still fantastic.

It is a bit silly that things we were used to as gamers years ago are now considered features, but I guess that's the world we live in.

12. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

seems like a lot of flame baiting. Lan is nice but not a feature I use that any more, dedicated servers and a proper browser is the big thing.

I'll be buying both, just because one is good doesnt mean the other is bad, I think MW2 has "tighter" feeling guns than BFBC2. BF3 will be good but it's a different kind of game from MW3

13. rayson

rayson Damn sure it was legal

you mean full auto, instead of controlled burst and hip firing SMGs

14. Fuganater

Fuganater What's a Dremel?

LAN support is amazing! Might not help all you UK folks with 14 Mbps internet but here my buddy and I try to game on our wicked fast 512Kbps shared internet. We are constantly looking for LAN games to play because online is just not an option.

15. LedHed

LedHed What's a Dremel?

MW3 can crap out gold through your speakers and BF3 will still be the better game. Is LAN support really worth an article on BitTech?

16. LedHed

LedHed What's a Dremel?

Not to mention the new Counterstrike game will replace MW3 as soon as it is released.

17. Glix

Glix Left Thumb Stick in the mud.

Yes it's article worthy as CoD hasn't included it in the last 2 iterations, and those looking to copy the success of the CoD series may follow suit.

18. Diekrupt

Diekrupt What's a Dremel?

I disagree

I have hosted the servers for many lan parties, when you have control of the server, you control map orders, game settings, nothing beats <1ms ping times, even with metroE or 100mb connections (which is typical for most convention centers and hotels) its not enough and also, most hotels and cc's charge per MB in ranges so to get a pull pipe is very expensive.

Let alone hosting a LAN at your house.

For this reason alone, I will not be buying BF3 but going to get MF3 even though I have owned all BF games and never owned a COC game.

Now crysis allows for dedicated LAN servers, they just don't register with tracking servers which is the way Dice/Actv should do it, just dont let them register with trackers but let people run dedicated servers locally on their LAN for even better for ladder and clan tournaments so a clan does not have to BUY a fully hosted server at a datacenter which again, costs bucks.

Diekrupt

Tags: Add Tags