1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Gtx 570 Temps in Define R3?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jackg, 8 Sep 2011.

1. Jackg

Jackg What's a Dremel?

Hi Guys!

Finally got the money for my first pc build!

I've been looking at MSI's twin frozr III gtx 570 for my build and wondering what sort of temps it would get in that case?

Many thanks for all the help.

2. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

What I always recommend with the Fractal R3 is get a decent extraction fan. I have a single Scythe Gentle Typhoon rated at 1850RPM and it does a fantastic job ditching hot air outside of my Fractal case. Consider I have a couple of GTX 460 in SLI which is not the coolest of rigs and it copes admirably. My top card reaches 85 maximum and the bottom is usually in the high 60 range. I can imagine a single twin frozr III in the Fractal R3 would be around 65 degrees which would be fine.

3. Jackg

Jackg What's a Dremel?

Thank you for the advice!

Would a single Gentle Typhoon be enough, or would it be better to get a couple for different fan slots?
    Wondering what would be the best fan setup for a low temperature.
    Not at all concerned at how loud it will be, as my current pc is very loud.

4. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

A read exhausting fan will also help keep the temps of other components down, I haven't seen any figures to back my statement up but I can't see how it wouldn't?

I have the EVGA GTX 570 and at maxmum settings on Crysis it rarely goes above 60.

5. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

On an R3 I believe a single quality extraction fan like the Scythe I mentioned is all that's needed.

However it is a very good idea to have two fans up front as intakes and also if your computer rests on a solid surface (not carpet) then a single 120mm fan on the bottom of the chassis works beautifully. For top notch quality I recommend a couple of 120mm Silverstone Air Pentrator fans up the front of the case (nice long braided cables on these to reach the motherboard fan header) and a 120mm Be Quiet USC Silentwings in the bottom intake. This way all the intake fans are covered by filters and it creates positive pressure in the case which really helps drive away dust bunnies! It's very surprising how much dust gets caught in the filters over the course of a month.

6. Jackg

Jackg What's a Dremel?

Would it work well having 2 intake fans, and then the scythe like you suggested on top, and one of the included fans in the rear?
    Unfortunately, it wouldn't be possible having a bottom fan, as it will be on carpet.
    I really have no clue when it comes to cooling, as this is my first build.

Last edited: 9 Sep 2011
  7. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Use the typhoon as a rear exhaust and the included as a roof exhaust if you want. I have an r3 and use only the stock fans but I only have an i5 and a single 460

8. Moppi

Moppi Minimodder

i have a r3 and have stock fan at bottom and rear,2 silverstone air pen and front in take and 2 gentle typhoon 1450rpm as top exhaust.

cpu 2500k with be quiet dark rock adv cooler
    gpu is msi 6950 twin frozr III my idie temp is 43c atm 44% fan speed just done quick bench with furmark on the preset 1080 and temp maxed at 67c

9. Jackg

Jackg What's a Dremel?

Thanks for all the advice and your experiences with the case. This looks like the type of setup I will be going for.