1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Why have you been kicked out of PC World

Discussion in 'General' started by GaryP, 8 Sep 2011.

1. Invictus.

Invictus. Minimodder

Some give you a recovery disc which is nice, my sister baught a MSI netbook and it came with nothing, but if it all goes tits up i've got a copy of Win 7 professional here (or I could just dl starter as it comes with a code for it) but this laptop the family friend had came with a recovery disc, I'm just hoping they keep hold of it incase it does go wrong..

talking about reformatting, I've got a laptop of my step dad's dad to do, he baught a new external but hasnt done anything with it incase it needs setting up.. so need to basically turn it on and plug it in sometime xD

2. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

that's it I'm going to dress up in full drag this weekend and go into the apple store :D

3. InSanCen

InSanCen Buckling Spring Fetishist

I got tossed out in a hasty fashion after telling them where to shove the job ;-) You have to pay your rent somehow! I got a Months free pay though!

I also had a long string of Disciplinary notes for telling customers the truth, and not flogging something far overpowered/overpriced when something cheaper/slower would fit the bill. That, and offering the Assistant Manager some Amateur Dentistry when he called my Fiancee fat (she's not, by any stretch of the imagination). Funnily Enough, they called me up a day later when they realised the "tech guy" they had hired a week or so previously, against my reccomendation, couldn't find his own arse with both hands, and had no chance of fixing the forty or so PC's awaiting attention. Most of my regular customers followed me to my new job, which is nice, and tells me I'm doing something right.

4. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

>sales people lying and trying to upsell customers
    >honest sales people
    >pc world
    >mfw

:wallbash:

5. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

I was looking at a Cosmos case few years ago into the store coz it was actually the same price as scan, so i thought i would just go look at it and take one from my local PC world...
    They kicked me out for having a hoodie.. i looked like i was going to steal it apparently... a funcking full tower case.. retards

6. Xir

Xir Modder

Got kicked out of bar in Edinburgh a few weeks ago trying to buy my very pregnant wife a cup of cocoa "for her not looking over 25".
    The age limit was 18 :confused: Also she was with me, I could prove my age, and I'm nearing forty...:eyebrow:
    Seems to be normal though...in the UK anyways.

7. GaryP

GaryP RIP Tel

I remember that Cosmos S for £99 !! Gutted I was skint.

8. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

I used to work for the sister company, Curry's. I escaped last year. Some of the things I had to do for example was

"Oh no sire, you don't want to use AVAST free edition on your new laptop, we recommend you buy Norton 360, it's much better" The number of times I got told to go fourth and multiply with that one.

The extended warranty they do is just a big joke and a con, and I was threatened several times with my job for not selling it.

In the end the stress of the job wasn't worth it and I handed in my notice last June and am now in a much better place where I'm respected and treated like a person rather than someone whose there to sell over priced crap for little to no reward.

GaryP likes this.
  9. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

I remember it more from being referenced in The Abyss "They want us to grow up a bit, and put away childish things. Of course, it's just a suggestion"

It's easy picking good quotes from C.K. in hackers. Everything the dude says became an instant classic. Best character in the movie by far. Although Angelina Jolie was damn hot in that movie... of course this was before she went like totally insane on us.

10. stouffer

stouffer What's a Dremel?

I hate how all the sales guys are like vultures on people who don't really know what they're looking for (oh wow this computer has 4 gigs it must be good blah blah). One time they were forcing all the crap they like to bundle in with a laptop sale (norton AV, four different warranties, MS Office yadda yadda) to a relative of mine and I told them to ignore it all. Not half as interesting as the rest of you guys but it gives me something to aim for.

11. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

Can I ask where you work now?

12. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

This.

I think it's true that they specifically recruit sales people who don't know anything about computers. I've often considered a career in their back rooms, though, a a techie or admin or something.

I'm not really clear on the legality of how stores can treat customers - are they allowed to ask you to leave simply because they don't like you, or because you're talking to someone (even someone you know and came in with)? I'd be tempted to just calmly decline, wait for the police to arrive, and see who the cops think is the bigger timewaster in the situation.

Pretty hefty penalties if you call the police out for nothing. I wonder whether the staff would even bother.

Last edited: 10 Sep 2011
  13. Blazza181

Blazza181 SVM PLACENTA CASEI

Aw man. Just got kicked out along with my family, for saying that they were lying - graphics card rubbish again. My dad is a legally trained, and so backed me up, before being asked to leave. Mind you, those guys who I helped left, so that's a bit of money not given to PC World.

14. PabloFunky

PabloFunky What's a Dremel?

I got kicked out of PCworld.

I hadnt done anything wrong, so i asked why they were kicking me out, which they replied, because we closed 15 minutes ago.

15. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

It's gotta be a for a righteous cause though, guys; ride to the rescue of some poor potential victim. You can't just go in there and start p!ssing on the printer cartridges! ;) :D

:hehe::hehe::hehe:

16. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

Yes, of course they can ask you to leave. It's not a public space, it's their property, they can ask you to leave and, should you decline, they'd be totally right to call the police.

17. xXSebaSXx

xXSebaSXx Minimodder

Yup... Here in the US it is called "Trespass after warning" and if they so choose to press charges you will get slapped with hefty fine (at least)... And depending on whether the presiding judge "got some" the night before or not; you could even spend a night or two in jail for it.

18. JCG

JCG What's a Dremel?

They hate someone who takes pride in selling the right product atleast. I worked for a large chain, they put a 18 year old on washing machine. So i spent my free time to read reviews and stuff like that, so i wouldn't feel like a complete tool trying to sell them.
    Guess what, the management doesn't like a saleman not selling a 1500 euro one if an 800 one is perfect for the customer. After a couple warnings from the management i tried to get as customer satifaction forms filled in, and together with the number of sales i used that to slap them round the head.

Unsurprisingly, my career there was short lived. They forgot to put (*)^&*(^()ing over the customers in the job describtion and i got paid to little to really care about the compagny.
    Now i repair wheelchairs and electric scooter for a living, and i love working now. It actually feels like i'm doing something useful and no fights with the management.

19. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I was asked to leave a Best Buy once ... they were closing

Yeah, I'm such a bad boy

Yeah but the law (overall) in the US is retardedly severe ...

20. Blazza181

Blazza181 SVM PLACENTA CASEI

I'll be honest - I was thinking of working for them soon. But being dishonest to customers is something I cannot stand. A HD5450 for all the recent games? It can't even play Crysis, a game from 2007!