1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other SWTOR

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by elmondinio, 6 Sep 2011.

1. elmondinio

elmondinio What's a Dremel?

Star wars!!!

who's planning to play this?

I'm building a new PC so I can play this on highest quality.. I hope :)

2. edayghost

edayghost What's a Dremel?

Part of me cant wait for this game, as i LOVED StarWars Galaxies years ago, coolest mmo ever, and the idea of another online starwars game sounds amazing. but im having concerns that it wont live up to what SWG was for me. especially since my friend who was in the beta didnt love it that much and he was a huge SWG fan as well. gonna have to wait for reviews and see what my old guild thinks about it

3. nukeman8

nukeman8 What's a Dremel?

Not me, looks like a greatly cut down version of SWG. I hope they prove me wrong but i see nothing whatsoever that sets itself apart from other MMO's

4. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

At first SWTOR looked absolutely amazing but as time's gone on and they've released more and more information about it it just gets worse and worse.

I was going to play it but the more i've seen has changed my mind. SWG was awesome (until 'the patch that will not be named') and i seriously doubt this will hold people for very long.

Also don't forget that at rughly the same time of its release (or fairly soon after) it's got to compete with Diablo 3, Guild Wars 2 and new expansions for both WoW and LotRO. It'll pull an Aion i reckon. Initially awesome until people get into it and see it's bland shallowness, which is a great shame, The ingredients were there, they just didnt use them correctly.

5. soviet_

soviet_ Bantros

Compete with Diablo 3? Not exactly direct competitors and I, like many others shall be getting both games. GW2 couldn't give a **** over and never played WoW or LotRO.

It's probably going to be good for one or 2 playthroughs then we'll have to see what they can do to keep people's money

6. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

/Will be there on Launch Day =].

Fizzban likes this.
  7. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

i was planning to play this for a while but unfortunately its looked more like an mmo with every press release.

I guess what i want is a persistent world that isn't a classic mmo, seems unlikely for a few years at least.

8. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

I'd probably say that sounds more similar to Guild Wars 2 which is trying to stand apart from conventional MMO mechanics.

+ On a side note, what classes is everyone planning on rolling come launch?

My main is going to be a Sith Assassin spec'd for Tanking with my next alt being a Sith Marauder for DPS.

After that i'll have some mixture of DPS Sith Juggernaut, DPS Mercenary or Healer Operative.

9. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

I'm going to wait a little with this one, I don't want to jump right in on launch because it hasn't shown me anything specific that makes me excited.

10. Hutchy

Hutchy What's a Dremel?

It is starting to look quite generic. With them admitting that a "Dungeon Finder" won't make it into launch and we'll have to resort to waiting around hubs spamming a LFG channel it does start to look less and less appealing than some of the other multiplayer games coming out in the same time period.

11. CrazyBlade

CrazyBlade What's a Dremel?

Covers me as well. I cannot wait for this, but I am concerned that it's going to slip to 2012. If that does happen, SWTOR and GW2 could be heading for a major smack down.

12. Randomeclipse

Randomeclipse Minimodder

I'm worried it's going to be a PvE fest, so will wait until it's been released for a little while before deciding.

I've heard that there are Warhammer Online style SCs and some open Realm vs Realm fighting planned on planets, but it's yet to be seen if it'll be decent.

13. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

I agree that it's looking more and more like traditional MMOs, but then again, I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with a more traditional gameplay elements (World of Warcraft is, despite all the bashing, a very successful game). There are various elements that i like from certain MMOs, but stop me from wanting to continue on (the graphics and grind of WoW, the lack of progression customisation of Aion, the drab and dreary look of Rift) and ultimately SWTOR seems to look like the best answer to it, at the moment.

The main issue is that it's not actually what certain people want, but keep thinking that it's what they were looking for. I.E. This is an MMO set in the KoTOR universe with some elements from KoTOR, what it isn't however, is a direct sequel to KoTOR (in terms of gameplay) with some MMO elements.

You can argue whether or not which idea is more popular, but at the end of the day this is the route Bioware have chosen (and it's obviously gained a significant amount of interest from both KoTOR and MMO fans alike). People complaining about it aren't going to change Bioware's development and they just have to accept that this obviously isn't the game for them.

With regards to the Dungeon Finder, i thought that they stated Cross-Server Dungeon Finders wouldn't be implemented at Launch but it seems they were vague about a "Same-Server" Dungeon Finder (obviously i could have just missed that confirmation, so feel free to point it out). Also, i feel that with the advent of Companion Characters, they've stated that it's possible to do Flashpoints with just 2+2 chars. + companions (although would obviously have to be more careful) which i think helps alleviate the issue (esp. for me at least). With regards to the Operations/Raids i wouldn't have thought you'd really want to hit those with randoms anyways so it's less of an issue.

I'm not too worried about it slipping to 2012... it sounds as if they're on track, but then again that's never a true indicator of how things are going (as time has shown on multiple occasions). I'm actually quite... sad about a holiday release, as i'll be on holiday this Christmas and am worried about playing on Launch Day, then having to take 2 weeks off in between :( (mainly because i'll have to catch up with friends and wasting 2 weeks worth of subscription ;>). Waiting till after the holiday to start playing obviously isn't going to happen :hehe:.

As for Guild Wars 2, i'm definitely looking forward to it and i'll probably end up playing both. However i'm rather tired of the somewhat typical Fantasy/Medieval setting and only like it because of the unconventional MMO mechanics of it (reaction/skillshot based combat, no subscription fees etc.) The fact is, with the latter, it only really competes with SWTOR in terms of time and even then, i wouldn't be worried about diverting any potential subscription time away from either to order to play the other.

Anyhow, both are on show at the Eurogamer Expo next weekend and i'll be sure to visit both SWTOR's and GW2's booth and i'll post some thoughts up after the event.

14. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

This - +1. SWG2 is what they should have made. Bugger anything else. My hype meter plummeted after BT's preview confirmed my worries. SWTOR: Effect.

15. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

This. :rock:

16. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

Meet n' Greet after the Eurogamer Expo:

Details Here.

Basically:

Saturday 24th September
    8pm - 12am
    Gamerbase -> HMV -> Trocadero -> London (near Picadilly Circus)

I won't be there when it starts since i'll be going out for dinner with friends after the Expo, but i definitely want to swing by later in the evening.

If anyone has any questions for the devs i'll be happy to try and get them answered. Not to mention i'll post my thoughts from both Eurogamer and this Meet Up.