1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lian Li launches the all new PC-A05N Mid-Tower Chassis

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Guest-16, 26 Jan 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

It helps people read what you are writing if you spell properly and use punctuation correctly.

2. chrismarkham1982

chrismarkham1982 Multimodder

so a capital is easier to read than a lower case? anyway lets not argue over silly things, this was dead 2 years ago and lets keep it like that

3. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

If you think complaining about me correcting you is going to make me stop correcting you, you're wrong. As longweight said, I'm just concerned about the readability of the forum. It only takes a few people to start posting with absolutely no punctuation or grammar for the forum to become an unreadable mess (to someone who knows what good English reads like that is). I'm not trying to be superior and I don't think that I am. People think me being a "grammar Nazi" is funny and it did start out as a joke but honestly, I am trying to stop bit-tech from becoming the sort of uneducated, unreadable forum that I have seen many times in the past. In particular, some car forums that I've been on recently are ridiculously hard to read, because each and every post is either from someone whose first language is not English, or a UK member who doesn't post with proper English.

4. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Massive de-rail here I see...

LOL

5. longweight

Capital letters usually indicate the start of a sentence which helps people read quickly and it also stops a paragraph from looking like a mass of continuous text.

It doesn't take much effort to use correct spelling and punctuation, I make an effort to do so and if I am not sure then I try to find out if I am wrong.

Unicorn isn't better than you but he is right in this instance and you shouldn't dismiss spelling and grammar as not being important.

Remember that the only thing people can judge your forum post on is how you present it. You could have a very valid point but if you use letters instead of words and don't capitalise the start of a sentence then I am sure people will think less of your post.

6. longweight

It's the internet! :naughty:

7. chrismarkham1982

all this because i didnt start with a capital letter? come on guys surely youve got someting better to do with your time? not having a go im just saying.

if you dont know like the way i post then fair enough, afterall its not life threatening but can we please just leave it now?

Last edited: 9 Sep 2011
  8. longweight

I this is more about your attitude that spelling and grammar doesn't really matter which is just plain wrong.

9. chrismarkham1982

i never said the use of capitals does not matter, that would be very wrong of me.
    if unicorn had had stopped at the point he was making about my use of 'y' rather than 'why' then i wouldnt have a problem, its not my usual style to use text speak in a forum.
    hell, i dont even use it when im texting someone.

at the end of the day i have 3 kids to look after, a house to clean, clothes to wash, 2 gardens to look after, breakfast, lunch and dinner to cook, school runs etc...so as you can see, i dont really have time to make sure that every sentence i write on a forum is started with a capital letter.

i am literaly up and down all day, there are more important things to worry about than starting with a capital letter, if i had time i would put more thought into what i type.

now can we please just drop this?

10. longweight

That is fine by me, I think we can leave this now.

11. chrismarkham1982

12. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I think we all have busy lives tbh - it's no excuse for poor grammar. I'm not that bothered though as your posts are at least readable.

longweight likes this.
  13. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Yep, second. If you're too busy to move your pinky down 1mm to engage the shift key, you're probably too busy to be wasting our time on your computer.

longweight likes this.
  14. longweight

+rep for that mate.

15. dangerman1337

dangerman1337 Minimodder

I think this thread needs to be closed now.

16. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I really don't think it does. Nobody is doing anything wrong and no forum rules are being broken...

17. StingLikeABee

StingLikeABee What's a Dremel?

Punctuation and spelling seems to have gone amiss here too, so I think this is a case of kettle calling pot black. If you're going to call someone out for their grammar, at least make the effort to ensure your own text is correct first:sigh:

Unicorn, who appointed you as the trustee of good grammar for this website, just curious?

18. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

This could get interesting...

*pulls up a chair and opens a pack of Twiglets*

19. longweight

As I said previously I know I need to improve so please do tell me what exactly I did wrong?

20. longweight

Mmmm Twiglets :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.