1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Smartphones outsell feature phones for first time

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 12 Sep 2011.

1. Xir

Xir Modder

Ahyup, the 5 year old battery in my 6021 still runs for a week, when it was new I forgot where the charger was. :D

No hate for Smartphones though...If there were plans here that cap your costs and give you unlimited* internet.
    *(well it's probably capped severly, but that would be okay)
    German providers tend to want either 30-50 pounds for data plans, OR do a price-per-mb that's unacceptable. I you dare turn on your phone while abroad...be ready to accuire life-long debts :nono:

Phone manufacturers aren't totally innocent, howcome i have a dedicated switch Bluetooth-on/off, and WLAN on/off but no "Everything BUT WLAN" off?
    Using the GPS-function that uses GPRS-triangulation in the background can set you back tens of pounds in a foreign country without you knowing or wanting it. :grr:

It's a ripoff, really.

2. JerryW

JerryW Relative Newbie...

I have a Samsung Galaxy II I am deeply in love with. The screen, including the touch facility, is by far the best I have ever seen.
    I have trouble getting my head around the idea that anyone would be a fan of Bit-tech but not respond to a phone as technically good and as cool as this.. but it takes all sorts, I guess!

3. Xir

Xir Modder

It's awesome!
    Remember when mobile phones could run ALL WEEKEND on a charge? My that must have been...1998ish? :hehe:

4. Woollster00

Woollster00 What's a Dremel?

This is Bulls*** typing on my Lg Optimus 2x touchscreen phone is heavenly the buttons are so much easier to press compared to stupid qwerty keyboard phones where you press 1 button and end up pressing about 4 more by accident also they make a god awfull loud clicking noise (blackberry's)whereas on a touchscreen phone it requires no effort makes no noise when you type and the buttons are of good size so it's easy to type quickly and not press multiple buttons.

5. stefan442

stefan442 Minimodder

I pay 40quid a month to Vodafone for 750 mb data, unlimited texts and 1000 mins any network any time, i get 25mb a day data free whilst abroad in the EU and i get calls to 0870,0800,0845 etc etc inclusive for free within my mins. I have a Samsung galaxy s2, best phone ive had there is no need for a netbook, everything can be done on this. I would even consider getting the Samsung note... bigger screen :)

I even under-clock my processor to 0.8 GHz so i get more battery life out of it, and it doesn't affect performance at all.

All this and i have no need for a land line, netbook, if it wasn't for my obsession for online gaming i could probably get away with not having internet as my connection speed whilst at home is pretty nifty!

6. Xir

Xir Modder

Not a bad offer, mayby it's just us getting shafted.
    But:
    a) do your included minutes/texts count abroad? (mine don't) :grr:
    b) does your included free 25mb a day abroad work in any network, or just vodaphone's? (something often forgotten and used to rip you off abroad)

7. minimad127

minimad127 CPC Refugee

the thing that gets me about smart phones is that most people i know (myself included) who have a smart phone actually use very little of the functionality most of the time,

they are still mostly used for texts and calls, with the occasional pop onto the internet when not in range of a computer, i think the main big 'win' for them has been the games and GPS/sat nav systems, as the increased screen size has allowed you to see much more without eye strain,