1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD overclocks Bulldozer to 8.429GHz

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 13 Sep 2011.

1. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

How did the AMD fanbois miss that part?
    Confused as to what you're implying?

And damien, SB doesn't do clockspeed very well, currently the highest cpu-z anyone's got out of one is only 6044mhz

2. sakzzz

sakzzz Minimodder

Good to see competition... In the ATi vs Nvidia war..ultimate winner is the consumer both.in terms of cost and performance.
    Hope to see the same for processors..

3. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Thank's didn't know that but got to admit I am looking forward to Sandy Bridge E and Ivy Bridge to see what they can do.

Certaintly looking forward to the Bulldozer chip's under more wallet friendly cooling sollution's.

Maybe my next monster build with hopefully a custom made case will include a Bulldozer cpu as well as a monstrous water cooling setup which will include 40 fan's 4x480mm rad's with push pull and case fan's for mobo and hdd's etc etc with some 19db fan's I have seen but will have to test them all 1st.

4. reflux

reflux What's a Dremel?

Good work AMD, but do you think you could actually release the darn things?

5. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

RAW ghz is one thing but i want to know how it performs clock for clock as the aging phenoms are much slower clock for clock than SB at the moment. Hope this is AMDs comeback, prices down is win for all. Also looking to do a new build in a a couple of months so hope the 6-core FX CPU is a beast too.

6. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

So Intel will still probably have better performance but it'll cost more....as is the case now :D

7. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

Where be the benches?

8. Bede

Bede Minimodder

I am impressed! Let's hope it's good at normal frequencies too, I'm looking forward to the reviews even more now.

In the park.

*gets coat*

9. MjFrosty

MjFrosty Minimodder

More than likely. This is it - why put yourself in the limelight with this pointless achievement when the processor is still two generations behind it's competition. I hope for their sake the benchmarks prove me wrong, but given the price point I'd be suprised if bulldozer even comes close to sandybridge.

10. boz4442

boz4442 What's a Dremel?

More details from Anantech:

The first used a sub-$100 closed-loop waster cooling solution from Antec (Kühler series). I can't tell you much about the chip itself other than it is an 8-core FX processor that AMD was able to overclock to 4.8GHz using the Antec Kühler.

Next up was phase change cooling. Armed with a phase change cooler AMD pushed another 8-core FX CPU up to 5.894GHz at 1.632V.

AMD ended on its most aggressive cooling solution: liquid helium. Using liquid helium AMD was able to take Bulldozer to a new world record of 8.429GHz.

None of this tells us much about how Bulldozer will perform unfortunately. The most interesting number is likely the first number (4.8GHz) which gives you the upper bound of what to expect from an overclocked Bulldozer at home without any exotic cooling.

11. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

wow gj =] bet he went through a few chips

this sounds like it's going to be a monster if you can get those kinds of frequencies with that many cores.. the celeron d was a single core

12. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

I can still remember Phenom II overclocking till 6ghz... but that didn't help them against Intel... lets just wait and see how it hangs against Sandy bridge...

13. Nicodemus_MM

Nicodemus_MM What's a Dremel?

Funny how you didn't read/missed/ignored what you quoted. That is a single core processor. OC'ing typically becomes more difficult with more cores. The two processors aren't even of comparable complexity and the many core beast set the record. This has nothing to do with being a "fanboi" (lame, overused term) of AMD as when we step to 22nm with Ivy Bridge this record may be shattered.

14. Farfalho

Farfalho Minimodder

I paused the video in various moments to get a glance at the chip. One moment you're able to see all the data written on IHS but unfortunately I can't figure a rat's ass :(
    I've also paused at the cpu-z showing on screen and the thing that got me was the fact it accused 8 core cpu but only 2 were detected from cpu-z. Also the frequency was a bit over half the announced record but maybe they were upping the clocks in that time. The TDP I thought it was too good for an 8 core.

Don't get me wrong, I an AMD enthusiast but those things made my head itchy.
    Does anyone has the skills or the software to pause and clean the cpu frame were you can see all the details?

15. LedHed

LedHed What's a Dremel?

Yea at what voltage? If Intel used that much effort to OC the 2600k I bet it would hit 8ghz and higher. However this means nothing, a C2D at 2ghz beats an AMD X2 @ 3ghz in any test. Show us some benches, who cares if you just got the computer to boot, what functionality does that have in the real world?

16. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

If that 4.8 came on a Kuhler, then a good water loop should place it around 5-5.2 24/7. In other words, SB range frequency wise.

Also, traditionally a single core of a CPU can go higher than all cores-which means a 9GHz single BD core validation may be just around the corner.

17. LedHed

LedHed What's a Dremel?

These is a CPU....ATI doesn't exist anymore.

18. LedHed

LedHed What's a Dremel?

they only ran it on 2 cores, not 8

Quoted from CPU-Z "CPU Arch : 1 CPU - 2 Cores - 2 Threads"

19. loftie

loftie Multimodder

I'm hoping AMD do pull something really good out of the bag. I want there to be some good competition in the CPU market again. Don't get me wrong, AMD is doing ok, but they need to be doing better and give Intel a run for it's money.

I have to admit though, this feels more like AMD saying 'Hi we're awesome, look what we can do. Please ignore the benchmarks when they're released' which I hope wrong. That would make me a sad panda.....

20. urobulos

urobulos Minimodder

It's cool news, but ultimately what will matter to us is performance on air cooling and in very few cases under water cooling. Record OC's are fun for the sake of it, but ultimately pointless.

Tags: Add Tags