1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Now?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Plugs, 14 Sep 2011.

1. Plugs

Plugs Minimodder

Is now a good time to build a computer? or is something appearing just around the corner that'll blow the transistors off anything i buy now?

2. Cus_de_Sparta65

Cus_de_Sparta65 "There is no dremel"

Well the Sandy Bridge CPU's are very fast like the unlocked 2500K or 2600K but AMD's Bulldozer is supposed to be here early next year and Intel's Ivy Bridge also early next year.

I am tempted to go a Sandy Bridge but might hold off to see what these new processors can do!

3. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

There's always something new coming out.

4. Cus_de_Sparta65

Cus_de_Sparta65 "There is no dremel"

True enough, I am really tempted to go for a 2500K but by the time I will have enough for a complete new build it wont be long until the new gear is out so I am torn.

5. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

Well I don't think it'll be *that* long until Bulldozer comes out.

And realistically what will happen? It's not going to smash SB, even if it's a bit better it'll be priced similarly.

2500k is a superb chip and will last for years if you want it too.

6. blinkieleblind

blinkieleblind Tings and such

exactly. if you ask that question then no, there is never a good time to build a computer as there is always something new coming out. You have to do it sometime so now is as good a time as any.

personally i would go SB as there are a lot of unknowns about bulldozer but you can wait and see.
    If you build a system around an 1155 socket then that will still be current when ivy bridge comes out as that will also be 1155.

so in my opinion.... go for it.

7. favst89

favst89 What's a Dremel?

The truth.

The important question is, how bad is your old machine for what you do? Is it unbearably slow in new games now to the point you just want a new one or can you last to see comparisons with the bulldozer and ivy bridge?
    Sandy bridge seems to cope with most (all?) games on max when paired with a good gpu. The differences will be more noticeable with video/image editing I feel. Also your budget, Ivy bridge is likely to be a couple hundred pounds more.

8. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Please spec ur current PC and what you would like to be able to do so that we can better asses the situation and help acordingly :D

9. Plugs

Plugs Minimodder

I have a 5 year old computer which doesn't behave very well, and has needed a complete overhaul for a while.
    I will likely use the computer for about 4-5 years, and will be used for general use, programming and gaming

10. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

Isn't Bulldozer meant to be here around October? Not next year

11. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Like everyone has said go with what you want and what suits your needs for right now. You have issues with your current system. And for the most part prices right now are pretty good. Though I have only been pricing up my system the past few weeks or so. And not long chosen to buy mine as components and build it myself.

I'm going with the i5 2500k simply because theres plenty overclockability in it and the price tag is lower xD

12. Plugs

Plugs Minimodder

I suppose budget will also probably not stretch to new components, however will it cause prices of current tech to drop significantly? If not i guess I'll be investigating sb

13. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

14. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

Now!

Zinfandel likes this.
  15. Plugs

Plugs Minimodder

lol ok, thanks to everyone for their input

16. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Isn't Bulldozer out on the 19th?

17. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Yeh, I thought Bulldozer was the next couple of weeks, and SB-E in November.

Personally I'm considering buying now as I've heard that prices will be raising soon due to the bad exchange rates currently...

18. woof82

woof82 What's a Dremel?

Might as well get it now if you want it now. I waited ages for sandy bridge - then ended up with a dodgy mobo because they hadn't been tested properly!

A good thing to wait for is for a bit-tech buyer's guide if you know there's one on the way. Last one I saw gave great advice on what's best value on different budgets - can knock together a really solid pc for <£500.