1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays IPS or 120 hz

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by czm, 16 Sep 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

yeah that's a good ips monitor far as ghosting goes, if your looking for a compromise

looks like the op is interested in gaming though.. the 120 will definitely be better

see I used to be a cs head back in 1.6.. played competitive for awhile so I know what's up.. the casual gamer doesn't know what it's like to shoot in a fraction of a second against a player just as good.. it's pretty crazy the gap between elite and casual- quake showed this quite a bit more

2. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

I'd take a better looking picture over a slight improvement in how fast I can see things. But it is down to the person, I owned a "fast" TN panel for a while before I got my IPS and I can't notice a difference timing wise.

And I apologise if I sounded overly aggressive, I fear I may be turning into GoodBytes about monitors lol

And thehippoz, yeah as long as you buy a decent one which you will be for 1920x1200 hopefully, then the difference will become even more marginal.

3. Deders

Deders Modder

I remember easily being able to see the flicker on some 50-60Hz CRT's, could even see the difference between 60 and 75Hz on my old CRT. I think you may be confusing Refresh rate with framerate, and even then that is up for debate.

4. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

If you could see faster than 50Hz then you would have seen old light bulbs flickering... :p

5. Deders

Deders Modder

Well i could see the 60Hz screens flickering.

6. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

And people did :p Not many but as previously stated not everyone's vision cuts off at the same level, some can see higher rates than others.

As I said before, IPS is MUCH better at 90% of things, TN panels win on response time so would be better if you want to potentially gain that tiny edge in FPS games.

7. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

I think that both of you are right, I too can see certain screens flicker at 60Hz (old ones), but I can't see light bulbs flicker...unless I flick the switch really quickly lol

I may have to google this....

Edit: Idea, have an IPS panel with a 10bit display....without a colour processor, like a TN panel. With a flux capacitor to get the colours from the future, now. Great colours, far faster response :D

8. longweight

You won't see a GLS lamp flicker at mains voltage, the old switch start fluorescent lamps flickered a lot due to them turning on and off from 100% > 0% > 100% whereas GLS lamps follow the AC wave and "gently" dim up and down.

9. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

You can't really compare a screen to a lightbulb though - the light doesn't change, but the screen of a game changes all the time making it easier to notice (to a point).

10. longweight

I was only commenting on someone else's post :worried:

11. jizwizard

jizwizard Modder

right here we go. i have a benq 2410t 120hz monitor. now before everyone jumps on me i use it in fps games and i can tell the difference if i switch it from 60 - 120hz. just seems smoother. couple of mates have them to and they are competion grade gamers and they love it. yes its not the best at reproducing colours, took me a while to calibrate it. but to me it would make no difference as im totally colur blind lol

12. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

Surely an old fashioned tungsten lightbulb wouldn't flicker though as their would still be a residual glow as the voltage fluctuates through 0V

13. longweight

That was my point (might not have been that clear though!) you only see flicker on fluorescent or metal halide lamps.

14. czm

czm What's a Dremel?

Well I am thinking I am swaying more towards the 120hz over the Dell IPS.
    As I use my PC for gaming..it would make sense

15. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

Best bet is to see if there are any stores in your area that stock an IPS and a 120Hz monitor so you can compare them side by side.

16. longweight

If you are near London then Yoyotech is well worth a visit to have a look at IPS vs TN panels.

17. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

I went from a 2ns Samsung gaming monitor to the Dell U2311 (6ns I think).

1) I have never seen any "in-put lag"
    2) I score much better because I can see into the black (there are levels of black you will not believe)

My next monitor will be a bigger Dell Ultra sharp.

18. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Might not be the best example but I am sure there is an Apple store near you. iMAC's use IPS.

19. longweight

Not everyone will see input lag and I know I certainly don't on my U2711 which has relatively bad input lag.

Once you go IPS black you never go back.....

20. czm

czm What's a Dremel?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.