1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Why have you been kicked out of PC World

Discussion in 'General' started by GaryP, 8 Sep 2011.

1. t4n6o

t4n6o You know when you've been tangoed

Got asked to leave PCworld yesterday as i was looking round computers with my dad - as he hasn't got a clue - and when the guy came over - like they usually do - he started going on about PC's and sayinghow good they were and pointed out ones for him to have a look at and as he was looking at them i was looking at the specs and price £1000 for this one and £800 for that one e.t.c. and when the muppet asked what he thought my dad let me do the talking and i said what i thought of them and mentioned that hge cold get the same PC but with different cases for about half the price. Of course the store muppet didnt like that and started going on about all the things you get with it like their customer care which i said you haveto pay for, why would he do that when i can do it, and then a store manager of some kind heard this going on as he was walking round and came over to see what the problem was.

After explaining that the guy didnt really know what he was talking about and the fact that the prices were in my opinion way too high for what your getting (as all basic parts inside - cheapo not branded) i told him i was building a PC or the same price which would run circles arround any PC world spec PC they had - he didnt seem too happy and asked us to leave the store

2. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

A few years back I went into PCWorld to take advantage of their "if you find it cheaper within 20 miles we'll give the the difference plus 10%" offer. In store however the manager refused to accept my proof of cheaper at Novatech (based about 12 miles away) stating that the product isn't cheaper (which it was). Manager accused me of lying and it ended up in a full scale argument and me being kicked out.

A letter of complaint got me pardoned by head office (and a nice cheque to go with it!) but I haven't been back since.

3. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Only time I talk to the staff in there is when I can't be bothered to look for something. Otherwise I just tell them to help someone else.

Kinda want to get kicked out though :p

4. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

Why would you take your father to PCWorld anyway, if you know you could build him a system for half the price and maintain it for him I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to convince him that would be the better ( cheaper ) option- quick browse on the PCworld website would show him how overpriced systems and parts are vs parts from Scan for example..

5. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Been kicked out of a supermarket because; quoting the security guard, "We don't like the way you shop".

6. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

How were you shopping?

7. Shadow_101

Shadow_101 Minimodder

Didn't get kicked out for it...

but did do this do all the mac's in the store waiting for our dissertations to be bound..

[​IMG]

who would of thought the admin password was pcword :)

8. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

Were you shopping out of hours, using a brick?

9. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Just doing the pre Christmas rounds going from aisle to aisle zipping back and forth gradually filling up the trolley with the usual stodge, nothing extraordinary really. Then 'Pukka Pie' security man turns up with his chest puffed out and announces "We don't like the way you shop". So I just left him with a full trolley and shopped elsewhere. Guess I kicked myself out! :D

10. TheButler

TheButler What's a Dremel?

Got kicked out in Norwich PCW for helping some poor guy trying to buy a router. The 12 year old shop assistant was adament that he needed one for cable, even though the customer told him he lived in a small village in the sticks and had a BT connection. I asked the assistant what what was the difference (playing dumb) and he mumbled that he did not know. I pointed out that I am a system admin with over 15 years of experience and he ran off to the manager.

I was asked to leave leaving my wife still in the store :lol:

11. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

The problem with PC World is they treat their chain stores like some form of supermarket. In a supermarket you don't expect the guy stacking jars of dolmio to know a killer recipe for meatballs but in a store dedicated to PC technology you would hope staff have an adequate level of training to cover the basics such as the difference between Cable and DSL!

12. Xcellenye

Xcellenye What's a Dremel?

Very nice thread, thanks OP love to hear the stories I've never been thrown out though, really pisses me off when they try and sell a netbook with a puny atom as some type of gamnig machine

13. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

Were you naked with vegetabes stuck in every orifice?

Cause I hate it when people do that at my local.

14. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Are there trading regulations/customer rights that specify what they can and can't kick you out of a store for? Blogins' example, of being kicked out simply because they didn't like the look of him, seems like discrimination. I'm guessing they can't kick people out for being black or for being short or whatever - so where's the line? Is there a line?

I always imagined that you'd have to be identifiably messing with their business or causing a disturbance for them to be within their rights telling you to leave. Approaching strangers unprompted and advising their purchases qualifies as this, I think, but surely just discussing hardware with someone you came in with doesn't? (This was someone's anecdote earlier in the thread, I forget who.)

15. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

hmmm

Last edited: 1 Oct 2011
  16. bagman

bagman Minimodder

Where do you shop?

17. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

I've never had more respect for you wyx'y.....your a great big child at heart :)

18. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

I've been kicked out of Kwik-fit (chain garages are awful places, never use um), for telling an elderly lady that the repair would cost half as much if she went to the local garage over the road, and they'd actually do a good job.

PCW and co are bad...but seriously car garages are the worst for this kind of stuff.

Needed a tyre recently and the number of garage that quote you for 'budget' or 'mid-range' tyres and then are surprised when you ask exactly what the tyre is....and then are more surprised when you want to know the model not just the make. And then are insulted when you laugh at them for suggesting 'mohawk' as a big brand name :p

I got through 12 local garages before I actually found a mechanic that knew anything about tyres and actually stocked something decent for a reasonable price.

and don't even get me started on the time I had tyre wear noise (no less than 3 garages got the diagnosis wrong and tried to sell me a complete hub for £300+ - diagnosing wheel noise requires driving in a straight line btw).

19. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Minimodder

As far as I know it's private property and they can kick you out for what ever reason they like.

If they were to say we are kicking you out for being black/short, etc then maybe you would have a case but if they just ask you to leave then that's up to them.

20. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Damn. That doesn't seem entirely right - morally, I mean. I might have to hit the law books on that one sometime (online, I don't actually buy law books, that would be madness). I can't believe customers don't have more rights in this regard - such as a right to know why they're being asked to leave, in writing if necessary. And the right not to be evicted for excessively arbitrary or discriminatory reasons.

One I know for sure is that pubs are no longer allowed to evict customers for being bikers. There was a lot of fuss over that for a long time, or so I hear from my folks.