1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Deus Ex: Human Revolution gets in-game adverts

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 16 Sep 2011.

1. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

The idea of in game advertising on the billboards didn't annoy me. I didn't even notice any in game, although reading above they probably weren't active. This however, THIS IS ********! Especially, as said above, its been added as a patch after the game got lots of attention and awards.
    Filthy Mother****ing *******s!!

Maybe I will see one and go "oh, its a tiny thing in the corner I don't even notice" lol but as it stands from reading the above this is a new low.

2. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Its just the loading screens... so it doesn't really mess up immersion, after all the loading screen itself already does that anyway. Could be much worse, imagine you'd have to go to a virtual Mc Donalds for example and buy Happy Meals until you get the Ammo you need for your weapon of choice.

3. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

I never saw any mention of in-game advertising in the press leading up to launch, and as a Deus Ex fan I was interested in news reports.
    How convenient that the in-game advertising is put in the game AFTER the press reviews are done.

At least now we have the reason for the abysmally long loading times. It's not as if having the advertising up longer would net any more money or anything. I'm sure it is only on TV that a 1min long ad bring in more revenue than a 30sec ad.

4. Darkefire

Darkefire What's a Dremel?

Wait, what? The last time I played TF2 was about a week ago and I don't remember seeing any advertisements during the map loading screen.

5. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

Simple equation:
    Pay money = get game experience.
    Free game = put up with ads in game.

I paid for an ad-free product, which I got (ignoring the unskippable ones at the beginning). Now Square Enix/Eidos Montreal have changed my product into something else, something less than what I paid for.
    Maybe some here don't find the loading screen ads a big deal, and the in-game ads unobtrusive. I found that when playing in a darkened room the never-ending loading times of DE:HR forces me to stare at the screen. On most games the loading screen doesn't take me outside of the game. That is what the advertising does. It may not ruin a game, but it does lessen the immersion value.

If they think I'm going to pay for The Missing Link DLC (which is just content cut from the game and doesn't even include a new hub) or any other DLC after this then they are mistaken.

6. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Honestly I prefer ads in games. Crysis 2 New York without real ads was a disaster. I really didn't get that Times Square vibe.

7. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Without ads that is. Times Square without ads felt empty.

8. modfx

modfx Loft Gremlin

+1

9. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan What's a Dremel?

It depends on the server you're playing on. Some servers have adds prior to the team selection, but most don't.

As for in game advertising, if the game is free, sure! If the game is paid for, go **** yourself! It reminds me how my family used to have cable TV when it was all the rage. No adds, heaps of channels! Then slowly but surely, the adds crept in, prompting us to drop our subscription.

10. Zero_UK

Zero_UK What's a Dremel?

I don't understand what the fuss is about. It is a loading screen, who gives a damn if there is a tiny image banner in the corner advertising. Easy enough just to ignore it, read the chapter briefing, have a sip of a drink, eat something, walk about your room to stop blood clots in your legs or what ever. Loading times are like 10 seconds at the most. It seems a bit extreme to say they have taken advantage of us or betrayed us.

If someone is to not play a game or refuse to buy it over that, then I am sorry but you are missing out on a really good product. It is a very good game, I'm fine them making some more revenue on something I won't even look at for more than a second.

11. Gigglebyte

Gigglebyte :3

This is hardly new to gaming, I remember playing 2142 and seeing ads on billboards in the game, you just ignore them.
    I see people complaining about the "Go Compare" man and how annoying it is but the advert was a high success because even though you hate the advert itself the brand of "Go Compare" is now firmly lodged in your head and you are even giving them free press by talking about it to everyone and refreshing their memories of it.

12. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

same, what is with the "OMFFGGG IMM NOTTT GONNAA BUYY THISSSSS" rage because of ads?, I really don't care at all as long as it doesn't ruin my gaming experience like when I press a button to jump suddenly a window appears and says "OH you pressed jump, want a Jolt Cola there big boy?", now that is annoying , but really - "OH SSHIITT AN AD IN THEE LOAADDINNGG SCREEEN", where Instead I could just have... hmm. wait what do we do in the loading screen again? yeahh, stare on.... yeah.. art! , really, it is not that a big deal.

13. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

Don't care..... If its a good game i'll play it

14. K404

K404 It IS cold and it IS fast

Didn't notice, don't care.

If it's an in-game billboard, it's(shock, horror) appropriate.

If it's in a loading screen... well.... on my rig the loading screen is~5 seconds and i'm looking at the story recap.

The fact theres in-game advertising on a game I paid for is neither here nor there. What *if* the game would have been £2 more without the advertising? We wouldn't notice, we'd just think it cost more.

over-reaction. (IMO)

15. mejobloggs

mejobloggs What's a Dremel?

As others have said doesn't really bother me. As long as it doesn't interrupt gameplay

Ads tastefully done inside the game in billboards etc might even be pretty cool

16. RobJapan

RobJapan What's a Dremel?

I always laugh when people get pissed off about adverts.

Now for example, if they only display during loading screens and never impede the flow of the game then surely this isn't a problem whatsoever.

The problem for me comes when the adverts would make the loading screens longer.

Although adding in the adverts after people have bought it is a bit sneaky and as someone else said, either you ask people to pay for something or you fill it with adverts and give it away for free. to do both just seems greedy.

17. do_it_anyway

do_it_anyway Minimodder

I'm in the "so what?" camp.

I can fully understand the frustrations, you pay for the game, and you get adverts too.
    But, as long as they are not intrusive and don't impact on the experience, who cares?

I remember BF2142 having billboards with advertsing on. I thought that was kinda cool. Didn't bother me in the slightest.
    What bothers me more is when you buy a magazine, pay a fiver for it, and the magazine doesn't start until page 7. Then has full page adverts every 3 or 4 pages. Thats annoying, but funnily enough we don't all get forum rage because of it.

18. Kamikaze-X

Kamikaze-X Minimodder

What a shame.

Sent from Bittech Android app

19. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

The first computer game I was really into in years, and now I can't buy it. Because I have these irritating things called "principles".

For ****'s sake.

20. rollo

rollo Modder

your principles prevent you playing a decent game then

enjoy those principles

Tags: Add Tags