1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Help with neighbor's computer

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Otis1337, 19 Sep 2011.

1. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

So my mum thinks i like fixing computers and not getting paid, so i have a anouther computer to sort out for sweet FA as she said i would fix it no problem....

Anyways, not sure what to do about this one, but here is a report:

Problem: Giving no signal - Boots when connected to mains with out using power button.

What iv done: been pressed for time today so not to much.. taken the front off where the bottom is to see if it was stuck to see if it constantly on power position some how, nothing wrong with it, so thats no the problem, no diea why it powers on its own.

Changed the GPU to the onboard gfx to see if the GPU was shot, still no signal, no change.

Taken BIOS battory out for a minute and replaced in an attempt to reset the CMOS BIOS.

To me this smells like dead motherboard, but before i tell her that, would like another opinion.

Thanks

2. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

Faulty PSU maybe if it's powering on straight away, or a short somewhere else- check mobo pins where the power and reset switches connect, might need to take the mobo out of the case too.

As for the not getting paid thing, I'd point out to your mum how much professional techs charge ( per hour ) to diagnose and fix faults- especially if it involves more than just a quick look at it & clearing the CMOS; more in depth testing & diagnosis will cost your neighbour money... ( had my sister's friend come over a few years back to look at my poorly PC, all he did was clear the CMOS via the jumper, umm and ahh a bit and say he didn't know what the issue was; turned out to be a dodgy mobo revision as I discovered upon further research, but anyway.. )

Having to tear it apart and test different parts to diagnose them takes a while, and time = money.

3. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

To be sure it's not the switch, disconnect it and the switch it on. If it doesn't fire you know it's the switch for definite. Also it worth trying to jump it across the pins with a screw driver.

Have you tried the GPU in a different slot assuming it's got one.

It may well be a borked mobo though, which could explain the strange behavior.

4. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

done what you said earlier today, forgot to put that.
    Thanks for input. Really do think its a dead mobo, no on/off control, and not giving any signal from gfx card or onboard gfx.

Only thing im getting is power LED and spinning fans, but that dont mean anything really.

5. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

It means that the fans work as does the LED...:D

Ok I'll grab my coat and leave quietly:blush:

6. deadsea

deadsea What's a Dremel?

Might be a silly question but I'm assuming there are no error beeps? If so it really does appear that the MB is toast.

Then might want to have a word with your mom about being volunteered as a PC tech. I've had to refuse to do a "promised" repair to get my point across that it's ask first then promise and not promise first then inform.

7. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

+1

8. sb1991

sb1991 What's a Dremel?

Just say no. If you were an accountant, the neighbours wouldn't expect you to do their tax returns for free, and if you were a mechanic, your mother wouldn't promise that you'd fix their car... Get the number of a local PC shop, give them that.

9. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

no beeps, giving the computer back today, been at it for a few hours just not getting any ware and i have limited tools and working space in my room. Just going to say im 90% sure your motherboards dead.

thanks all

10. Virt

Virt What's a Dremel?

No beeps? Does the speaker work on the motherboard? :p

Without spare parts to chuck in to test, you can't do much more than logical elimination.

11. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

does not have a speaker on the mobo, its in the case i think, but no sounds still st all.

12. short1uk

short1uk Minimodder

I have seen machines power straight on after a power failure - ie this machine didnt start properly then had the plug pulled so it thinks it was a power failure and auto starts when power returns. Its a bios setting for that.

No beeps mmmm, depends if it has system speaker. Had one the other day that didnt, the graphics card had died so tried to replace it but the slot seemed to be damaged and another one wouldnt work. The onboard worked though but for some weird reason not a first only when it got to windows. Its like the bios couldnt see the onboard vga - not seen one likes that before. Eventually the machine died altogether so I think it was on it way out. Tried all sorts of different parts but ended up declaring it dead.

As for working for free it so hard when people volunteer your services to others. You should say that you have to charge for your time. But I often help people and dont charge what I should. I need to be stronger!

13. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

did you try another monitor lol ?

14. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

yes... ofc

15. adamix

adamix What's a Dremel?

Had a similar issue. The problem was the at the psu end. Actually, the psu was fine, but the screws I used for attaching it to the case were tiny bit longer, short-circuiting something inside the psu. Most weird..