1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress GET A LIFE - COMPLETED

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by The_Gnu, 17 Nov 2010.

1. bguilleminot

bguilleminot What's a Dremel?

Man, your work is awesome. After watching your logs, I'm highly impressed of your skill and of course the high end tools you have. I'm glad you can materialize so impressively your great ideas. I'm new in computer modding, I felt identified with a reply you've made "I remember those days when I had only access to a dremel and some wood(not remeber more :D)", of course you would like to professionally build your ideas but making them by yourself it's MUCH better, when all it's finished of course because when you're building things it's like hell ahaha :) Well, I wish you the best luck in your current projects, and I can't hide that I'm HUNGRY for the final result. Cheers ;)

Last edited: 23 Sep 2011
  2. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

nice trick on the glue! nice soldering also. I´m making similar cables for my project and could use some inspiration, so thanx :thumb:

3. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Thanks for reading my logs, and your encouraging comments.
    I guess in the beginning of modding, most of us only have acess to a limit amount of tools. Collecting tools along the way and learning new ways to make things is actually the best part. This knowledge can give you a lot of advantages in the future. I hope you find my work inspiring and keep on with your modding.

Hi, and thanks. Nice to see another "Goo Göteborgare" in the forums. Your projects looks really nice aswell:thumb:

4. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

Nice trick there. Keep it coming...

5. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Thanks voigts:thumb:

6. |V| 4 L k i 3 R

|V| 4 L k i 3 R Minimodder

7. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Thanks for the link, I havn't seen this one. Crayons was a nice idea.
    I actually did something similar with parchment paper in my first try but the results weren't that great. Most likely because I didn't use silicon spray as described as the key to sucess in the guide. Hm.. maybe I'll go get some silicon spray and give this another try.

8. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

I thinks its' about time for another update.

First of was the task of mounting the Hdmi connector to the foot. I haf a hole for it to fit into but there wasn't much more than that. And sice the connector itself is so small there isn't really anything to attach a screw in. I have been dreading for this task for quite a long time since I knew it would be quite a challenge and I really didn't have any good solution.

But then I came up with the idea of making a plastic piece to press fit over the hdmi connector and decided to try my luck att milling plastic.

I decided to use some Polyoxymethylene for this task. You could also call it Cutting board plastic or Delrin but Polyoxymethylene sounds more advanced :)

[​IMG]

Since this piece is so small and have some deep grooves, It was really hard to make. I had to use a knife to make some of the cutts so therefore the finish isn't the best, but it does the job.
    [​IMG]

The connector slides in from the side and there is a small plastic edge on the connector that maches the grove in the holder
    [​IMG]

Mounting procedure:
    Hdmi connector In place and plastic slides over the connector from the side...
    [​IMG]

...Plastic part is pushed firmly all the way in and is held in place by the pressure. It wont slide off without prying with screwdriver.
    [​IMG]

The nicely centered alignment in the hole was pure luck since I acidently made the hole in the foot a bit too big.
    [​IMG]

Power bracket comming up. This was one really fiddly piece since its so small and didnt have any good clamping surfaces. That "large" wall is 1mm thin.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I need some holes for the USB connectors aswell.
    [​IMG]

I had to finish up the holes with some needlefiles and I had to be very carefull not to bend it

[​IMG]

The nut is for the threaded 12v power in connector. Since the connector is threaded I decided to mount the nut in this grove, that way I don't need a wrench to tighten it but can just screw the connector on from the backside.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Razer2007 likes this.
  9. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Love, love, love it...

10. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Thank, thank, thank you... :thumb:

Waynio and bulldogjeff like this.
  11. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

I've just been reading back through the log, I've missed so much of it. Your attention to detail is amazing. All the little bits and brackets, the mountings, it's all simply out of this world. I'm actually lost for words, which is most unlike me.Top modding dude, can't wait to see what this all looks like as a finished product....+ Rep

12. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:jawdrop::D More Uber fine details :cooldude: sweet work Gnu :thumb:.
    Did it with a knife :rock::D +rep.

Last edited: 5 Oct 2011
  13. RedManc

RedManc What's a Dremel?

Another interesting update, the sheer luck with the placing of the hdmi cable is amazing ;)

14. Korvus

Korvus May contain traces of sanity.

You know if you and Attila did a collab project.. it'd probably start a new religion or something...:worried:

15. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

Looking very nice... How much of the power-cable-fitting threaded bit are we going to be able to see in the completed exterior? (None, I'm hoping!)

16. Livio

Livio What's a Dremel?

If I had registered earlier I could read the log in the flow. Now I had to take a so great time trip reading the whole thing from the beginning. So many small details man. Those make the whole mod a fantastic masterpiece.

Regarding touch-sensors: with increasing capacitor size you will have a more sensitive button (bigger range) therefore maybe even one piece of the puzzle would be too big. Atmel sensors has detailed datasheets.

17. DeltaFX

DeltaFX What's a Dremel?

Add G69T, and Critical Awsomeness Density will rip the very fabric of the universe !

Some people worried the LHC could eventually create micro black holes... FOOLS :lol:

18. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

A
    C
    C
    U
    R
    A
    C
    Y

... that's the first think that popped in my mind when I saw all those conenctors perfectly fitted. Gr8t job dude :thumb:

19. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

Frikking awesome work. All aligns so perfectly!

20. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Thanks a lot. Were kind words from a great modder :thumb: All the small bits and pieces is something I always end up doing. I spend way to much time on parts that I know will most likely never be vissible. But this is a thing I do and have been doing all my life regardless if its modding, painting or reading. It takes a little bit longer but it will feel much better in the end.
    In the beginning I decided that this was going to be a quick project but I pretty soon felt that I had to do it right from the start.

Besides the machining, there is several hours of planing behind each part and Im glad you see this :)

Thanks waynio, always nice comments:thumb:

Thanks, yeah I have to Admit I was pretty lucky on that one.

Haha, who knows :naughty:. Im honored to be mentioned next to Atila.

Thank you, the only thing that will be vissible is the outer ring and it will be flush with the I/O panel of the foot. No threads will be allowed to be vissible.

Thank you very much for stopping by and reading it all and Im glad you like the progress so far.
    And I really apreciate your info on the touch button. It was a really helpfull link you got there since I've been a bit confused to how you regulate the sensitivity and so on, but now you sortet it out for me :) : However In this project I have decided to go with a standard push button since I think I came up with a pretty nice place for it (updated soon).

hahaha maybe I should stay away from him then :) I actually did some micro black holes on the foot, not as dangerous as the real thing though :)

T
    H
    A
    N
    K
    S
    ... Im glad you like it:)

Thanks man:)