1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors The Official bit-tech F1 2011 Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by yodasarmpit, 30 Nov 2010.

1. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

Hamilton did well to come back to 5th after taking out Massa's back wheel and getting the drive-through. Button didn't really stand a chance of beating Vettel but it was still fairly exciting towards the end. Schumacher was stupid and incredibly lucky.

Overall, not a bad Singapore GP.

2. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

Would like to see the safety car rules put back to allowing out of place cars to go past and join the back of the pack rather than staying where they are. It kinda ruins the restart when the leader can shoot off unimpeded while cars behind are stuck trying to get past lapped cars.

Edit: It'd also be nice if they got rid of restrictions on things like engines RPM. The reliability of current F1 cars is getting dull.

3. identikit

identikit Minimodder

+1. In some ways it's unfair on the leaders that have lapped the traffic. But the current restart situation is dull.

This would be nice, but lower end teams really wouldn't be able to compete with the likes of RedBull, Ferrari and McLaren and the various engine deals.

4. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

It's not like Button would have been able to pass Vettel. Vettel was going "half speed" last 10 laps.

5. Pieface

Pieface Modder

Lower end teams would be able to compete really. Remember how unreliable Red Bulls engines were? They could be closer on points if that unreliability was there.

6. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Racing incident between Massa and Lewis - the penalty was a little harsh but fair I thought. Far too much analysis of it though - Lewis had some great overtakes to recover from a rubbish start!

Great result from JB though - very solid drive from him. :)

7. Canon

Canon Reformed

Lewis had some good overtakes but I can entirely understand Felipe's anger, I wont bring it up again but my 'excuses to bitch about Lewis' tally board is literally off the edge of the wall now, I jest of course, keep your nickers on. Great race for Jenson, quite entertaining towards the end. But as always happy to see Vettel bring it home virtually undisturbed. :thumb:

It may have been clear for a long time who is going to win the WDC but I don't think there is such a thing as a boring F1 season.

8. bagman

bagman Minimodder

I don't understand why Hamilton got a penalty. Also I got really pissed off that lotus got penalised for a unsafe release when Ferrari have done many unsafe releases this season.

But overall a really good race.

9. sp4nky

Hamilton got a penalty because he crashed into Massa and basically ruined his race.

10. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

It wasn't like Hamilton got away from the incident scot-free, he suffered damage to his car as well. It was the sort of thing that used to be regarded as a racing incident and have nothing more said or done about it and that's how it should be. The sport is in danger of becoming a procession where overtaking is only done in specified areas of the track where gimmicks like DRS mean that cars can overtake without really needing to do any real racing.

11. Canon

Canon Reformed

No it isn't in danger of that, the rest of the race there was great overtaking. He got another penalty for another mistake that ruined someone elses race, again, there's no changing it now.

I'm not inclined to answer this myself after previous discussions but how many times does it take before it becomes more than just an issue of misfortune for Hamilton?

12. sp4nky

Surprisingly, since Hamilton caused the accident, he appeared to suffer less than Massa. I think the penalty was well deserved. Hamilton didn't even need to pit immediately whereas Massa had to nurse a puncture back to the pits and his race was effectively destroyed. All because Hamilton doesn't know where the front end of his car is.

13. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Regarding this particular incident I think the person who will be most pissed off by it will be Hamilton himself. At that time he was easily the fastest man, besides Vettel, and was stomping through the order only to misjudge an attempted pass and foolishly not elect to take to the run off area resulting in him smashing his wing on Massa's tyre. If you watch it back he turns in while locked up, he was never gonna make it stick.Most would just bug out and go again next time around with a car still in one piece.

I do think it should be classed as a 'racing incident' but on this occassion he completely ruined Massa's race. The time it took Massa to get back to the pits was much much greater than the time it tok Hamilton to serve a drive through and different stop for a front wing so in the end, it ended up vaguely fair.

14. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

And how many of those overtakes took place in the DRS zone with one car just flying past the other? Or where the driver in front essentially yielded the position without really putting up a fight?

He's competitive and drives an aggressive race. That very nature means he's going to be involved in more incidents but that's who he is and what makes him interesting to watch for a lot of people. As it was today the difference between him hitting Massa's car and making the turn was a matter of inches and it's certainly possible that had his tyres not locked for a split second there would have been no collision and he would have set himself up nicely for a pass in the next few turns.

15. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

I don't think he was trying to pass him on that corner tbh, I think he'd already decided that he wasn't going to make it and was trying to stay as close as possible for the next few turns. It looks to me like he's already started the turn when he locks up.

16. Canon

Canon Reformed

In that case he isn't thinking quick enough.

17. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

What exactly was he supposed to be thinking about doing faster?

18. sp4nky

Avoiding cars when he turns in to corners.

19. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

I think it's probably unlikely he locked up his own tyres on purpose. And once they've locked up there's little he'd have been able to do until they started spinning again.

Out of curiousity do those of you who think that Hamilton's penalty was entirely warranted think that Mark Webber should have also recieved a penalty of some sort for his antics in Monza?

20. Canon

Canon Reformed

Yeah, why not. But lets remember there are different stewards at tracks, they're not getting together inbetween races and plotting against Hamilton, he gets what he gets, incidents are brought to their attention, decided upon, done.