1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors The Official bit-tech F1 2011 Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by yodasarmpit, 30 Nov 2010.

1. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

Why should having different stewards at each track have any significance? Presumably they're all working to the same set of rules/procedures and not just making it up as they go along? If not then how can we hope to have any sort of consistency in how decisions are made?

As for 'plotting against' Hamilton I don't think that's what they're doing but at the same time I also don't think that they always view incidents in which he's involved in isolation and that decisions may be affected by consideration of previous races.

2. Canon

Canon Reformed

It may surprise you that different people in different situations interpret things differently. What do you mean by 'isolation' because I think if they don't look at a broader picture that makes it as good as 'making it up as you go along'. For example, Hamilton charges through corner A, having to avoid car X during the corner, which sends him off the line which in turn makes his attempted pass on car Y at corner B result in an incident, now, looking at the isolated incident at corner B would perhaps not warrant a penalty but in my eyes he would be due a slap on the wrist from the bigger picture. But perhaps that isn't what you mean.

3. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

I'm well aware of that but the point I was making is that they should be working to the same set of rules/procedures in order to minimise inconsistencies in interpretations/decisions. You can't have a sport where the rules are applied differently at each event because you happen to have a different set of people in charge of applying them.

What I mean by looking at incidents in isolation is looking at the incident without consideration of previous incidents in the same or earlier races. Now in the example you gave I'd expect consideration to be given to what took place at corner A because it directly impacts what happened at corner B. But I wouldn't expect the events of those two corners to be considered in light of what may have happened in other incidents earlier in the race or season(s), they should be looked at on their own merits alone. I don't think this always happens and I wouldn't be suprised if decisions made against Hamilton (and no doubt other drivers as well) have been influenced by previous incidents.

4. Canon

Canon Reformed

Ok, that makes sense but it is next to impossible to judge when, why or how that has ever happened, if ever.

5. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I missed the race, thanks to work.

GREAT to see Kovalainen finishing in front of Petrov though,

6. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

Indeed. In fact, what the hell happened to Petrov - why was he so slow? Has that been explained at all?

7. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

just looking at the finish-order, it doesn't seem like Senna was a lot faster.

8. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Nothing, the track is not good for the Renaults.

Oh and Hamilton ? GLOBAL CONSPIRACY against him :D.

9. Everydayoddity

Everydayoddity What's a Dremel?

IIRC, Webber was in the middle of being investigated by the stewards when he decided to go Front-Wing-Surfing into the barriers. At that point the investigation is dropped, as it wasn't a serious enough incident to warrant post-race penalties, and Webbo had suffered for his mistake by being plunged into a wall at 150MPH. Also, theres not much point issuing a drive through, although maybe they should change that to a 'run of shame' if you've already crashed out, make the drive jog the length of the pit lane with the rival pit crews booing him?

10. sp4nky

On similar lines, there didn't seem to be any investigation of the avoidable accident that Michael Schumacher had yesterday. However, he did come off worse than the other guy (I can't remember who it was).

11. Stotherd-001

Stotherd-001 Minimodder

Perez. From my point of view, it was a far more avoidable accident. He was inches from a slower less experienced driver, recovering from being overtaken, who probably didn't know he was there, at a braking point on a corner which really doesn't look like a great place to overtake. Of course, he's Schumacher, so nothing will come of that.

Hamilton's incident was another common theme for the year. He just needs to learn patience, and stop attempting to overtake on every opportunity. He does seem to be taking less risks, but all it takes is one to kill his race.

The steward decisions seem to largely relate to the driver representative. They're meant to give their professional viewpoint, and they change every race so stewards decisions will be different.

12. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Just seen the post race interview with Massa. That's an interesting one. Yeah, he has good reason to be upset but it's really a bit of a toys-out-the-pram moment.

EDIT: That appeared to come after this moment

Dear, dear, dear. People getting a bit wound up towards the end of the year then huh.

13. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

With every word he utters, he becomes more of a b*tch, and the more I dislike that brazilian cry baby.

14. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

I haven't yet watched the race but everyone was yelling about the incident so I fired it up on Youtube.

My take - racing incident but sloppy/risky driving from Hamilton. As others have said, the guy really needs to think before diving into every glimmer of an opportunity he sees. The penalty was deserved because it was an avoidable accident and there's precedent for penalties being handed out for the same. Open and shut, really.

EDIT: And Massa's right. Everyone from commentators to ex-racers to current drivers have said Hamilton needs to calm the f**k down and race with a clear head. I won't deny that seeing someone drive with the red mist is entertaining but not when the slightest contact is usually a race-ender. There's a fine line between racing and demolition derby-ing and Hamilton's been plain silly most of this season.

15. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I haven't seen the incident, so am not defending Hamilton's driving.
    Has anyone noticed though that the moment anyone comes near Massa he cries like a little girl about how OTHER people need to learn to drive.
    His move of commenting while Lewis was in an interview was unprofessional and childish at best.
    Then claiming "Yes... I tried talking to him..."
    He's never tried... he just walked in, kicked for the nuts, and ran away.
    I think Sutil should pay him a visit. ;)

16. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Fun fact:

Using the old scoring [10 for a win, 6 for 2nd, 4 for 3rd, 3, 2, 1] Vettel would have won the championship in Singapore, but Red Bull would not have run away with the constructors championship [it would still pretty much be a 2 horse race between McLaren and RBR though..]

... what? i was bored...

17. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

No ? Schumacher reprimanded for Perez crash in the Singapore Grand Prix.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/94837

18. sp4nky

19. Canon

Canon Reformed

I love the way Lewis gets all weepy eyed and his voice goes when he's having a post race interview and there's been an incident involving him, even more so when something like that happens. But yeah,

Something to look at.

Last edited: 27 Sep 2011
  20. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev