1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics 570 woes. Update.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Instagib, 26 Sep 2011.

1. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

[​IMG]

I have a problem with my Asus GTX570. This happens every few minutes in DE;HR. It used to do it in a few other games, but it settled down. Recently, it's back with a vengeance.

I'll play for a little while, then this will occur. 50% of the time it will dump me back into windows, the rest of the time I have to do a hard reset.

I've tried the latest WHQL drivers, and the betas, both make no difference.

As per my upgrade cycle, my entire rig has been swapped out and the problem is persistent.

Today, I bought a Corsair TX750M psu, 8Gb of LP Vengence ram and a Dark Rock Pro.

Last month, I got my Gene-Z and 2500k.

The only things that has carried over from my previous rig (AMD 1055t @ 4.0Ghz, Crosshair 4 formula, 4gb patriot, Akasa 1000W Power Max.) are my case; HAF 922, and my drives.

It's really annoying as this card has been back to Scan once already, and predictably, no fault was found.

This is a fairly clear indication that the card is on it's way out isn't it? Or am I just missing something obvious here? Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

**Update**

Okay, so sent it back and they found a fault so they will be issuing a replacement. Great.

I went up today to the Scan shop as the replacement has been out of stock, on their site, for awhile now, with replacements past their ETA. Which is fair enough. I thought it would be a matter of going over, getting a credit note and adding some cash to get a different card. Something like the EVGA Classified.

So I got down, and the guy at the desk was very amicable at first, but when I explained what I wanted to do he said that wasn't possible, they could give me £269; the current value in a straight swap. I.e. i couldn't pay any extra for a different card. (Contrary to what they did in this instance.) Meanwhile, I'm holding an invoice that shows £280; the price I paid.

I asked about a refund then at that point, which he again offered the current selling value. Before I could finish my sentence declining their offer and explaining that the card was faulty, still under warranty and thus should entitle me to a full refund, the guy was on the phone to a manager. Without even bothering to hear me out.

The manager didn't bother to come down, just told the guy on the desk that the shipment of 570's were due in a couple days, I should just take a replacement.

They did offer to ship it out to me, at no cost, as soon as they arrived. The guy at the desk then went about convincing me that the Direct CU2 is the best 570 going and I should just wait. I know it is, that's why I bought one in the first place...

So I took their offer and once again left the building empty handed.

I've lost patience with Scan now and once this is concluded, I will not be partaking in any further business with them in the future, nor can I in all honesty recommend Scan to anyone after the way this whole situation has been dealt with. I have been more than patient with them at every step of the way. In return for my patience, it feels like I'm constantly being jerked around by them. From the initial incorrect RMA diagnosis, to being offered less than what I paid in way of refund, to being told to wait, this whole process just feels like a bad joke at my expense.

God help them if the one they send me is faulty.

Last edited: 10 Oct 2011
  2. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Thats borked, plain and simple mate.
    And it seems to be the week when 570's are giving every one grief for some reason.

I don't know how they test the cards, but it seem a lot of people are getting the same no fault for diagnoses.

Edit: Just had a thought, are you using a VGA adapter, it could be that, so it's worth changing it.

Instagib likes this.
  3. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

I forgot to mention, it only happens in a few games. It will run Fur mark all day happily, and pass Uniengine at 1080, maxed out.

First time it happened, i thought it'd be dead simple, take the thing back to Scan and they'll give me a nice shiny replacement. Imagine my surprise when i got it back with "No Fault Found" on the report.

4. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

Nope, single link DVI cable. Tried replacing that, twice, just incase.

5. bulldogjeff

Might be a bug in the games, might be worth updating to the new beta drivers.

Instagib likes this.
  6. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Can you not RMA it direct with Asus?

Instagib likes this.
  7. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

Cheers for the suggestion Jeff, there is a new beta out today on the nVidia site, which i wouldn't of noticed as i only downloaded the last beta on Saturday. Just downloading now. It doesn't say anything in the release notes, but it's worth a try. This won't take long if it is still an issue....

8. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

I've never done a RMA back to manufacturer before, but tbh, i shouldn't have to. It's still well within the warranty Scan supply, so they should be sorting this for me.

Edit; perhaps i should look into it as a backup. Is it a difficult process? Do Asus have UK premises?

9. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

try running something like afterburner and osd to check your temps while gaming.. you can create a fan ramp that works for your case and airflow.. try moving the voltage down a bit too- you can flash it in with nibitor if that works (not sure if nibitor works with 570.. had to use a tool called fermi bios editor lite by orb to fix my 460)

seen that plenty when overclocking.. I dunno why your seeing it stock- you could retim the card too.. probably a mess under the sink in my experience

Instagib likes this.
  10. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

Temps don't go above 70 when gaming. The Direct CU2 cooler is superb. Just a shame about the rest of the card....

You're prob right about the tim, but as the temps aren't really a prob, i rather not just yet.

11. bulldogjeff

I wouldn't have thought the TIM would be a prob on a new card. It can happen I suppose, but it's pretty rare.

12. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

TIM is fine, because the temps are fine.
    I think the GPU is broken when it tried to do some specific effect. I HIGHLY doubt it's the new components.

Instagib likes this.
  13. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Can you tell us when you bought the card and first noticed problems? Also when was the card returned to SCAN for diagnosis? If you paid on plastic then you got a few options available to you seeing as the card has already been sent back to the retailer and returned with the same defect. For one under the Sales of Goods Act 1979 the impetus is upon the retailer to prove the goods are functional and work as advertised, which is clearly not the case! If you paid on a credit card then invoke Section 75...

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/section75-protect-your-purchases

If you paid by Debit then you can always try Chargeback for a refund...

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/section75-protect-your-purchases#debitcard

14. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

Just a suggestion but why not ask SCAN to state how they diagnose the card.

If you find out what software (i.e Benchmark) they use you might be able to determine how many loops it takes to break card e.g. if they only test 5 loops and you find it breaks after 10. You can ask them to test using this method.

Instagib likes this.
  15. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

It was bought on my girlfriends debit card on 15th April. I've got the receipt, but it's in my car, along with all the invoices. It started displaying problems almost straight away.

I posted this thread in the scan forums on the 17th. When noone at Scan bothered to reply, I took the card down myself the week after. I left the card with them for the weekend and picked it up the following Wednesday I think.

New drivers didn't work, but apparently they do net me a 38% performance increase in BF3.

16. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

So you bought it from SCAN in person at the shop in Bolton or on-line? Either way it's helpful to know which.

17. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

My girlfriend bought it in person, in the store in Bolton. Which is a PITA as we both live on the otherside of manchester. every time i go is a special trip of nearly an hour. I thought it'd be easier to deal in person. Each time i go, my girlfriend has to come too. Days which we are both free are becoming few and far between.

18. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Don't put yourself out to get this sorted, it's the sellers responsibility. Here's a link with a very good video about the Sale of Goods Act 1979 which also has a template letter that I urge you to send to SCAN by Recorded Delivery...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/theoneshow/consumer/2009/07/03/sale_of_goods_act_letter_downl.html

It's also a good idea to press for a proper written reply posted to your home address which I consider far more professional than a quick dirty e-mail. Since you raised the issue within 6 months of purchase you're in a better position than you would have been a month from now as it is the sellers responsibility to prove the GTX 570 works properly and not yours! Bookmark this thread and keep us updated, I'll dispense advice as and where it is needed! :thumb:

Instagib likes this.
  19. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

thing is that's the screen you get when you overvolt.. under 70C is plenty cool- was thinking 80c+

hmm can't really say as I've only dealt with the 460 on down.. like on the 260 and 9800 remember you'd get a screen that looked like snow- the game would still play, but it would get worse and worse and you'd have to reboot

that's running the voltage high.. the 460 looked just like that though when pushing over 906 on the clk and couldn't hold the temps under 75c- it would get those green artifacts

know guys like mrbens was doing 940 on water stock but he could keep the temps really low.. it could be memory related too- I would seriously pop off the cooler and redo everything.. I do this with all my cards brand new anyways

the thing is you'll see what I mean too- you'll find memory pads missing.. or in the case of the zotac, had none.. the tim job will have air in it too, and you'll sometimes find only a third of the chips been covered

the older cards were a lot worse.. but the 460 was pretty new and still had those issues.. shiney on the outside.. sheet on the inside

it's pretty easy to do- just like first time doing anything- you might be hesitant.. but that's the way you learn.. funny even friends of mine who I'd consider very computer literate don't do this- and it's one of the easiest things before throwing thousands of dollars of gear together

that and lapping (little more advanced)

20. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

All good words thehippoz but the simple fact is the card was not fit for purpose when it was bought, so it's the retailers problem to put this right. Don't trouble yourself any more than necessary Instagib! It's time to get your girlfriends money back and if SCAN don't see sense then there's still plenty of legal options available to you. Keep a copy of all receipts, invoices and correspondence and you'll then be in a stronger position to fight this.