1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking Check my overclock/ pc setup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by morris8809, 27 Sep 2011.

1. morris8809

morris8809 Minimodder

Hey guys and gals, just decided to post my pc setup and overclock to see how it compares to current hardware. At the moment it seems to be suiting all of my needs but just want to stay updated. Here it is:
    Case- Lian-li PC-A70F 2x140mm intake, 2x 120mm exhaust
    Mobo- Gigabyte EP45-UD3P
    CPU - C2Q 9400 overclocked to 3.8ghz atm
    heatsink- Noctua NH-U12P SE2
    Ram- 2x 2GB Gskill 1066 ddr2
    GPU - EVGA GTX260-216
    HD- 2x 1TB wd, 1x 750GB seagate, 5x 160GB in raid 0
    PSU - Corsair 650HX
    Monitor- Samsung T240HD x2
    Keyboard - logitech slim illuminated keyboard
    mouse - steelseries ikari optical
    speakers- creative 2.1 set
    sound card - creative xfi fatality gamer edition

I am currently trying to get my cpu 100% stable at 3.8ghz as i have recently overclocked it more so i will post those specs later.

Is my system still pretty good compared to the newer hard ware or is it starting to become dated. At the moment it plays all the games that i want but I havent gotten any recent games as i have been to busy. I was also looking at getting rid of the raid array and going with a single fast boot drive. What upgrades would you all recommend? Thanks

2. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Upgrade to a modern DX11 GPU, dump an SSD in there, and then enjoy. I'm on a Phenom II x3 @ 4Ghz atm, and the 550Ti I've got purring along in here will happily manage most games that I throw at it, so long as I'm conservative with graphics options.

I'd suggest a 560Ti or 570 GPU, and a single 120GB SSD for the boot-drive. everything else should be fine. A new DDR3 capable 775 motherboard would be awesome for extra frames, but it'd start working out better to upgrade entirely if you're going that far.

3. morris8809

morris8809 Minimodder

I didnt think there would be much difference between ddr2 and ddr3 on the 775 socket and Thanks for the rest of the info. At 3.7 Ghz is my q9400 comparable to the newer processors or do they still out perform it by a large margin?

4. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Newer ones do still outperform it due to them being able to do more calculations per clock cycle. An 1155 i5 would outperform your C2Q by quite a large margin when clock identically, and an even larger margin considering newer ones can do ~4.5GHz.

5. morris8809

morris8809 Minimodder

If i decided to upgrade do you think I would be fine reusing that cpu cooler and power supply on a i5 system with a more powerful video card, and is the sound card i have any better than what would come built onto the motherboard? Im pretty sure the psu will be fine but not too sure on the cooler. Thanks

6. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

PSU is fine, really good one :thumb: Sound card is way better than on board, though I do know some people who have had issues with Creative stuff. And not sure on the heatsink, I'll have a quick google :)

Edit: yeah heatsink would be fine, you can get better ones but it should be fine :D

7. morris8809

morris8809 Minimodder

I also have a xigmatek balder in another pc i could use so i think i have that covered lol, Im going to wait for ivy bridge and/or bulldozer to come out before i do anything for possible price drops :) thanks for the info. :rock: