1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Bad welder threatens to take car in payment

Discussion in 'General' started by Huge, 14 Sep 2011.

1. el2k

el2k Modder

Bit-Tech Stands together!Bit-Tech Stands together!

2. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

If even 10 CONFIDENT guys showed up at Ben Jones Welding, and one simply said "You pay us £250, and stay away from Seeks" then that would be all.

If you're game Seeks, covertly follow Ben Jones home, so you can also give /b/ his home adress in a couple of months :D

3. Huge

Huge aka Dave

Here's an update to warm your hearts: today my car failed its MOT on the welding.

I have no money left, no time left and no enthusiasm left. Three months of summer, £1000 of bills, hours of work and nothing to show for it. Can I claim off the welder who already has my money? No, that takes us back to square one. Can I do it myself? Probably, but not until next summer - uni starts back next week. I feel crushed.

4. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

Really sorry to hear that. Good luck with sorting it out next summer.

5. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Absolutely gutted for you mate - personally I'd think about getting in touch with a solicitor. The guy has obviously done sub-standard work if it won't even pass its MOT.

Whatever you decide to do with the guy who ruined it, I'd get it tucked up for winter in a lockup and come back fresh in the new year with a renewed attitude towards getting it sorted.

6. Huge

Huge aka Dave

Thanks

I don't have access to a lock up, not sure how much they cost either. I'm sure they're more than I can afford! I'll have to make some calls.

7. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Bloody hell fella. I've read through this and you have my sympathies. I would go with Krikkit on this one, he shafted you for money for shoddy work, which is now going to cost you more to get it re-done again.

Hopefully it works out properly. If it ends up with him losing money to you - good.

8. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

I liked the small claims idea best, particularly now you have his address, £50 to file a claim. Basically claim all the bad workmanship/lack of work and damage caused up to £5,000.00. I believe, the MOT failure is excellent evidence, also get quotes for all remedial work to bring your car back up to standard. You should prepare for a counter claim which Mr Jones may submit, he may, although you have paid him, claim he was underpaid so take photos and get an estimates form other professionals for the value of the work done as evidence. Either way the balance is still likely to be in your favour (be generous with claim cost amounts, eg. get quotes and submit the highest ones, they are difficult to revise once submitted). With evidence the judge hardly listens to personal statements at all, under these circumstances your victory would probably be assured. If Mr Jones does not pay after the court finds in your favour he will eventually financially **** himself, under those circumstances you get the pleasure of setting a date for Mr Jones to get a visit from the baliffs and Police. What a total knob!

9. getDownShep

getDownShep What's a Dremel?

What about a story for the local newspaper, once his face is all over there is not much he can do about it

10. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

This ^^

11. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Given the situation was resolved because the OP's family and friends felt threatened, I don't think a smear in the papers would do any good at all.

Sensible, quiet legal action would be my only suggestion, beyond that suck it up, put it behind you and one day park it outside his house for an hour while he's there, just so he knows he didn't really beat you.

12. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

Small claims court. Nothing more to it.

Christ, I'll even lend you the £50 to do it!

13. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

Legal action. The failed MOT is almost what you needed if you wanted to take action. I know the timing sucks and you will be back to uni soon.

I'm sorry that this has happened to you buddy.

14. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

I think we'll all chip in!

15. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

Sucks to hear you got shafted on the MOT, what an utter and total effing knob.

Silver lining, you're not going to be the designated driver at Uni. I used to ring my mates up when I was at some party in the peak district at 5 in the morning and convince them to come pick me up! :D

16. Huge

Huge aka Dave

Thanks for the messages guys. I'm going to discuss it with my parents and see what they think. I badly want to go down the legal route, though I'd settle for just my £250 back. At least then I'm almost back at square one.

17. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

I was just thinking this.

18. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

Plus vandalism and theft is ripe in student areas of cities...

19. Blazza181

Blazza181 SVM PLACENTA CASEI

The small claims court is great. You can go to your local Citizen's Advice Bureau, which provides free information, and sometimes lawyers will visit the CAB, giving free legal advice, and sometimes doing work for free. Also, they sometimes have details of lawyers willing to do discounts or free work.

Also, in the small claims court, you can have a lay representative or a "next friend", who represents you. Normally this person should be a good debater, and some do it for the experience, like legal students.

It actually starts from £30 in order to enter a completed form for a claim of ~£300, but sometimes the fee is waived.

I'm serious, when he sees the copy of the claim form sent to his house, he would be stupid not to pay and get it over and done with. (Almost) All lawsuits are open to the public - if he goes to court and loses - well, there goes his reputation. Also, I'd recommend you inform the police if he tries to threaten you after receiving the form.

I'll see if I can dig out any more information.

20. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

I have a few quid left in my paypal if we are all clubbing together, even £1 each from some of the regular members in here could get a good start on the repair bill to get it re-welded.