1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware PNY XLR8 Liquid Cooled GTX 580 OC 1.5GB Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 26 Sep 2011.

1. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

If you SLI 580's I think a proper watercooled loop is the only way to go.

2. ziggy444

ziggy444 What's a Dremel?

"we have concerns about the XLR8 GTX 580 OC's potential to cook itself in the long term!

Maybe others should read the review first as well?

3. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

Dam right :)

4. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

I think I might have to go SLI on my EVGA 570...

5. 1-0-1

1-0-1 Nothing interesting to put here.

That one is only for GTX285 and seem to be only compatible with EVGA products.

http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=200-CU-HC85-B1&family=Hydro Copper Waterblocks&sw=4

EDIT: Found a GTX580 one but this will require some reading and research on how to best use this block :/

http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=400-CU-G580-B1&family=Accessories - Hardware&sw=4

Last edited: 28 Sep 2011
  6. mejobloggs

mejobloggs What's a Dremel?

Yeah I was surprised at that too. Sounded great the whole way through

I'm assuming it was because of this on the last page:

7. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I did SLI with 2 Palit GTX 580's both on air and they were fine temp wise and noise was perfectly fine as well, thank's to the custom cooler that Palit put on it.

8. l1m1tl3ss

l1m1tl3ss What's a Dremel?

Ok so I had this installed for a bit now and I'm running it all stock so here goes.

Noise levels: Well Before this I was GTX480 stock (very Loud) then went to a Cool it omni cooler)
    now running this full kumbustor for 20 mins its just hitting 63°C with fan speed 2010rpm and It is a lot quieter then the stock cooler of the 480 and to be honest I can notice a difference between this and the Omni cooler being significantly louder.

I need to point out as well that today is one hell of a hot day (using Androsensor my phone reads 32°c room temp !!!)

Installation was a doddle and took 10 mins max

Running real games I got a temp of 67°c after 2 hours of BFBC2 and 65 after 1 hour of Battlefield 3 beta these are the 2 hottest temps I got gaming and feel it only relevant to use these.

Like I pointed out this is all stock and to be honest not in a well vented case. Another note is this is not the PNY limited time package but just a standerd one.

Added to this as mentioned Before I got several free games from the selected retailer Medal of Honour,Colin McRae Dirt 2,Flashpoint Red river, Lost planet 2, Total war Shogun 2 and a pre order code for Batman Arkham City. these alone to buy would come to £90.

All in all Personally I think this was a sound purchase and have a visual increase in GFX performance on my system.

Hope this helps someone

9. Demlock

Demlock What's a Dremel?

I have had this card for about 3 weeks now. I've not noticed a binary switch of fan speed. I double checked last night, and it had different noise levels (about a 4 hour session). At all times the majority of the noise came from my Noctua CPU cooler. In fact, I'm going to replace this cooler with a H100 (no time to set my own system up).

I bought this card to replace 2 x 9800 GTX's and it's quieter than them.

I use EVGA precision, but this only seems to control the stock fan speed, and the temp monitor on this never get above 40 degrees.

I know noise is a difficult measurement to take, as some frequencies are more annoying than others, and noise comfort is subjective - but I've felt that this has been lacking in Bit-tech reviews. The noise seems to be the reason that this card scores poorly and no quantative evidence is provided.

The fan isn't great though, and this has been noted on other reviews.

10. Demlock

Demlock What's a Dremel?

On my last post I said 40 degrees - this is wrong. I should of put 50. Tends to be between the two.

11. l1m1tl3ss

That is Idle yeah ? What are your load temps like BFBC2 or Kombustor ? using something 95% GPU ?

12. Lord-Vale3

Lord-Vale3 His Tremendousness

Just found this on Newegg. Looks like Zotac may have decided to steal PNY's thunder and release their own watercooled card - that looks like it may cool more than just the GPU itself, but also the other parts. If Bit-Tech could get a hold of this and review it that would be 'cool'.

13. greypilgers

greypilgers What's a Dremel?

Looks promising - a 580 on single slot? Wowzers... But then I saw the rad doesn't look that dense, and the pump appears to be mounted on the back of the rad? Surely this will block a sizeable chunk of airflow from passing through the rad and escaping with the heat? And why do so many watercooling loops have right-angled bends in them? Not very good for flow!

But definitely a step forward and another step in the right direction! I like the way this is moving.

:thumb:

14. l1m1tl3ss

These I think are the new systems from Cool it ... the omni coolers I had one of these on my GTX 480 and they are ok

When I had one it was an after market cooler but its good to see one now in a complete package will have to look out for UK sales

15. Demlock

Demlock What's a Dremel?

Nah, that's not idle. Those were the load temps with the GPU at or near to full load (although read below, turns out that the cooler doesn't seem to cool the whole card, hence the low temps).
    --

After having the card for a while longer and using it for longer periods, I'm starting to get the heat related crashes - that Bit-tech dwelled on. The back of the card is getting crazy hot.

Other than the cooler not being good enough, another problem is the way the GPU temp is monitored. It doesn't turn up fan speed to keep the card cool.

To stop it crashing, I've turn up the fan speed to 65% and I've underclocked the card back to the original GTX580 clock speeds. This means the Card fan is noisy as hell.

It still isn't noisy from fan on the radiator though, and that remains cool, but the card (not GPU) is hot as hell.

So the design is fundementally flawed , and I wouldn't advise anyone else buy one.

16. Arghnews

Arghnews What's a Dremel?

Love it when this happens. Bit Tech call it mediocre but a jack of all trades and master of none and therefore you shouldn't bother with it.
    The guy at OC3D gives it his gold award, highest that he can... life is so simple

www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyhouiSb_m4

17. Terlcartman

Terlcartman What's a Dremel?

This review surprised me as well. It seems odd that this card crushed all the scores, had great temps, and the tester dropped the score a ton based on an unproven fear of how much heat the non liquid cooled part of the card could take. I see PNY reached out and told the author that the parts that are not cooled are ok to 125C and I really doubt that level will be reached by normal use even with the fan at low levels. I did not join the forum or respond before as I dont understand why I continue to see very negative opinions and this is really funny, buying recommendations from people that don't own the product or any other competing product. I just replaced two MSI lightnings with two of these cards in an effort to reduce fan noise, GPU temps and increase the performance with the higher stock OC. So far they have done all three. My motherboard makes me put video cards right next to each other in order to use the 2 16x PCIe slots so the MSI on top was hitting 88-90C with only the stock OC. This high temp also made the twin frozer fans scream to try and keep the card from thermal shutdown and therefore made a lot of noise. I am very sure I would not have had this issue if I could have had space between the cards as the bottom card was always much cooler which is consistent with the reviews I read on it being one of the top air cooled cards. I do agree with the concern about the fan on the PNY board not being keyed to the temperature of the parts of the card that are not water cooled, and this would be my only criticism but as PNY has said they are well within the temperature tolerance, so I trusted them and the 5 year warrantee and bought the cards. For my rig I have set a custom fan profile that spins up the cards fan at much lower temperatures. The guy who said the fan at 65% is making a ton of noise must have a very different case than I do, antec 1200, as I can barely hear the fan at 65% over the case fans, all set on low, or the fans I have on my rad for the CPU. So far I am very pleased with my new cards, they have the fastest stock overclock of any 580 at 857, have the best GPU temps, and have much less fan noise in my system.

18. GiantKiwi

GiantKiwi What's a Dremel?

There is a well known form of word formatting called the paragraph. Use them.

19. Terlcartman

Terlcartman What's a Dremel?

They are a waste of time, kind of like your post.

20. shaunster1011

shaunster1011 What's a Dremel?

Fear not Terlcartman I have no doubt if this was an Asus card then it would have recieved a much higher mark...

Tags: Add Tags