1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Battlefield 3 beta opens

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 27 Sep 2011.

1. rowin4kicks

rowin4kicks a man walked into a bar ...

Just gave it a go on xbox and it was actualy quite good. Doesnt look too great though so downloading it now onto pc. 1.5MB/s isnt too bad

2. glitchez

glitchez What's a Dremel?

Can you run it on that res? :jawdrop: :D

3. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

I dont really like the web browser interface, I suppose I will get use to it though.
    Just a shame you have to load origin, it seems to take ages to load for me.
    operation metro has very bad clipping, and many times I have fallen through the ground into a pit of nothingness and it has taken good timing to get out. I would have expected that map to be much better finished off by now, considering it was also in alpha.
    I do think that the majority of issues will be resolved by the time the game is released though, I have faith in DICE to do the best they can.

and LOL at xbox screenshots, it looks terrible compared to PC, glad i dont have an xbox

4. chrismarkham1982

chrismarkham1982 Multimodder

Cant even downloading it, cant get onto origin store online and cant even get the origin store up locally either?

5. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

I do understand what you are saying but these core functions aren't going to get changed by Launch. I'm still going to have to install crappy plugins for my browser to be able to play a game, which by rights should be a self contained piece of software.
    If it was JUST Origin fair enough. Browser plugins too? Not cool.

In addition I managed to get the game launched with the drivers I was already running (I just kept mashing play and cancelling warnings until it launched), Frame rates were great but random black screen flickering like BC2 ensued, which is fine because I know the settings that cause it.
    Install beta drivers anyway so that I don't have difficulty launching the game, reboot, black flickering is gone but frame rates are about 10 lower than before if not worse.. Yeah those drivers are AWESOME AND TOTALLY improve performance.. Oh wait.

So we have a server browser that smacks of EA trying to be twunts and forcing you to install their crap when steam is perfectly good.
    Drivers said to improve performance that make things worse..

Oh yeah, and to top it off, post process effects that are actually making me motion sick, that no matter what I turn off, don't seem to go away!
    First game that's ever made me motion sick.

Seriously tempted to cancel my pre-order at this rate, if nothing else other than the motion sickness and the poor software that is Origin.

6. stefan442

stefan442 Minimodder

I bet you play the **** out of it and you dont cancel your pre order :p:clap:

7. chrismarkham1982

Scratch that, kept F5'ing and after a few minutes it opened up, downloading @ 700KB/s which isnt too bad.

Edit: 1:22 remaining :D

Last edited: 29 Sep 2011
  8. rowin4kicks

rowin4kicks a man walked into a bar ...

cant activate it online for some reason keeps saying try again later?

9. mongpong

mongpong What's a Dremel?

Don't know what the download speed was and can't be bothered doing the maths but I have downloaded 25% in 20 minutes which seems pretty good to me (based on past download speeds on my connection - generally pretty good but never amazing). On an 9MB wifi connection. Maybe I just picked the right time of day, but thats a damn lot quicker than Steam has ever been for me!

Took a few attempts to get Origin working though as it wouldn't load up the main page where you choose the games for some reason. Closed and restarted it 3 times until it worked but when it did it was very easy to use.

10. chrismarkham1982

I couldn't get the store front to load at all, I just went through the web page and after refreshing for a few minutes, I eventually managed to get it that way.

11. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

How do I bring up the settings menu? It's doing my nut in.

12. chrismarkham1982

I cant see it either, maybe you have to go into a game and do it that way, I'd tell you if that was the case but I cant get a match, no matter how long I wait :(

13. jizwizard

jizwizard Modder

when your playing just press escape to bring up the option menu

14. chrismarkham1982

Oh yes! lol, well, it runs smooth on my gtx 460 (oc'd of course) on the high preset with no AA, game is brilliant i have to say, the only thing that does me is the bullet damage, but then it works both ways and just means ill have to get better.

So the crux of my post? I like the game...A LOT and if any of you see me (chris24031982) just remember, go easy on me :lol:

15. SighMoan

SighMoan What's a Dremel?

To be honest, i found spawn killing to be pretty bad on some BFBC2 servers.

16. Bede

Bede Minimodder

I'm going back to uni on Saturday, looks like it's a good thing there are no lectures in my first week! :D

17. b5k

b5k What's a Dremel?

My first 10 minutes of BF3 Beta:
    Web platform is terrible.
    Site "breaks" if you try to resize to fit smaller window.
    Useless voice chat plugin REQUIRED.
    Server browser lacks filters and "goodness".
    Friends list and "social" aspects are poorly thought out.
    Have to be alive and in a game to change video/keybinding settings. Woo, free frags!
    Can't bind mouse buttons.
    "Reset All" button i keybind menu resets ALL game settings. Video, Sound, etc.
    Can bind multiple commands to 1 key. "F" became step right, stab and prone.

I didn't get to play any of the game because apparently my preference to have jump on right mouse is unsupportable. Also I don't want a game to feel like I'm facebooking...

18. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

My god. Battlelog is the worst idea ever. Who the hell thought this was ok?

19. chrismarkham1982

Battlelog is my only gripe, BFBC2 system was fine with me.

20. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    What about the "you can only enter Options while ingame"?

Tags: Add Tags