1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Dear Battlelog, go away!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by b5k, 30 Sep 2011.

1. b5k

b5k What's a Dremel?

It's like a poorly thought out Quake Live, with out the ability to specify a config before loading the game.

2. Bede

Bede Minimodder

Dear b5k, stop raging and have some more fun in life.

Parge likes this.
  3. b5k

b5k What's a Dremel?

I am having fun. Right now I'm playing Street Fighter 3 Third Strike over GGPO. Get this right, in GGPO I can bind my characters up/down/left/right to the analogue stick on my controller and have l/m/h p/k on keyboard buttons! Fantastic.

I don't get why people assume my life is not fun. Is it because you don't like the manner in which i address you, therefore you assume I'm a dickhead? I'd think that's your problem, not mine.

I created this thread after seeing that Origin thread from June. Everyone was raged at the concept of publisher based distribution platforms but you can slowly see it start to sink in. People are becoming complacent. I would've been complacent too if Origin were the only hurdle to playing BF3. Instead I've got to get over the concept of a publisher based distribution system (bad) AND a Facebook style web based launcher (bad).

It may only be 1 step over the line but it's 2 steps too far.

4. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Have you even used Battlelog or are you just ragin' for ragin' sake?

5. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

He's just throwing his toys out of his pram because he's unhappy that Dice's idea of an unfinished game doesn't live up to his expectations.

6. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

I think the answer is if you don't like the beta don't buy the game. Simple :)

7. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

I said, continue the argument via PM. Not start a new thread so we can flame you even more. You clearly can't read or play a game.

8. Dwarfer

Dwarfer What's a Dremel?

Haha +1 :)

9. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Well, he is entitled to his opinion and this is a discussions forum!

I for one am not too keen on every publisher having its own distribution stream while at the same time making it an exclusive purchase point, it is anti-competetive. I can see exactly why they are doing it though - it will make them more money.

As for Battlelog - it's a bit weird but I am not totally against it. As long as they;

1. Allow you to set the in-game options from there. Currently it is barking mad that the only way to do it is during a battle!
    2. Allow you to change your soldier name.
    3. Allow you to have more than one soldier.

It would be nice also if they did let you run it as a stand alone exe without having to resort to loading a browser, as I would like to run it from Steam. This won't happen I suspect.

10. b5k

b5k What's a Dremel?

Yes. I've installed the beta, used battlelog to chat/find friends, "played" the beta (as best as you can play with crippled binds, crashes and constant disconnects) and uninstalled it all.
    I'm throwing my toys out the pram because apparently I have to use a facebook wanna be to play a video game now. I haven't even played the game due to freezes, crashes and disconnects (not to mention how bad default binds are:grr:). I'm sure I'd love the gameplay of BF3 as I did BF2 and BFBC2. The problem I have is their new concept for "social gaming". It's worse than Blizzards new concept for Battle.net.
    I want. To play. The game. I have not. Played. The game. Yet. Do. You. Under. Stand?
    This is a thread about Battlelog specifically, not about any sort of individual argument. Check your PM's if you want to carry that crap on. :hehe:

People on these forums seem incapable of reading to a decent standard, so I decided to bold some stuff.

11. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

Well at least we're agreed you're throwing toys out of a pram.

What does that have to do with battlelog? Would the game not freeze, crash or disconnect if battlelog didn't exist?

And what exactly is the problem with it? What is this massive issue that seemingly make battlelog the biggest evil ever visited on gaming?

12. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Not sure about every other person on the planet, but I for one haven't really had any issues. No crashes, just the odd random glitch.

13. b5k

b5k What's a Dremel?

Holy crap, thanks. :D

That's the system in a nutshell. Only profits Publishers. Publishers used to be middle men. Rather than a person having to find a printer to print his book then sell the millions of copies to a store him self, he got a publisher to do it for him. Same for video games. Developer makes game, finds publisher to distribute, shops sell the game.

Not anymore. First step was from independant developers to publisher owned ones. That means the publisher has control of the content, at this point they still didn't control distribution. Now that they're aiming at "App stores" for their games they're attempt to shove the retailer out the market. This will leave you with EA, a developer, publisher and retailer all in one...Nice.

The web launch system has benefits and everyone knows Quake Live works very well as a web based system. This is a triple A title though. Not a dead 12 year old game brought back to life by a web based system.

My main complaint.
    Don't really care. Freedom of name choice is nice but aliasing is bad.

I would like to not have to load my default WEB BROWSER to play a VIDEO GAME. Since I've got my WEB BROWSER setup for BROWSING THE WEB rather than PLAYING VIDEO GAMES. (too many plugins, etc, etc, consumes too much memory, etc, etc would have to change default browser to something stream lined etc etc.)

14. b5k

b5k What's a Dremel?

Yeah, cause the reaction I'd get from denying it would be like denying the...what ever :p

I haven't played the game. I can't judge the game. (I have been saying this for a good 2 hours now, i'd like you to listen) I can only judge battlelog because it's what I spent most of the 5 hours "playing BF3" looking at.

If "Battlelog" is the main launch platform for all of BF3 then here are my problems:
    1) The fact it exists.
    2) The fact DNS has to work for you to play. (DNS goes down I can still IP connect on Quake)
    3) The fact the internet has to work for you to play. (Inet goes down I can still play SP Half-Life 2)
    Remember that wont just be Multiplayer. Singleplayer will need the same.

noizdaemon666 likes this.
  15. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

I don't like this either - even Steam changed things to allow offline mode in some of its games. Although they say it is anti-piracy I suspect it is more that it allows them to advertise at you 24 hours a day. Anyway, ultimately all games will be streamed (although on-live may die, the concept will not) so the days of running a game from your hard drive are numbered.

16. Pieface

Pieface Modder

Holy crap, a Beta having issues? Who would have thought it!

17. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

Ok, so what is it that battlelog is doing that is preventing you from playing a game?

Good reasoned argument there.

Is this a major issue? Are people routinely suffering DNS outages while still retaining an otherwise normal internet connection?

And you're basing this claim on what? Have you played single player? Do you have a retail copy and know how Dice are going to be handling it?

Edit: Turns out a two second search on google can find you a tweet from a Dice developer stating SP will be playable offline.

18. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

I wasn't going to post in this thread after how the general BF3 thread went, but I'll throw my 2 cent in here and give my own impressions with Battlelog so far.

Installed origin a few days ago (fresh install on new SSD) and everything is fine. Got my early access code for the Beta and it all installed fine. I like the look of Origin, it's simple, clean and the box-art is a small, but nice touch.

Starting the game up and it opens battlelog and everything has been groovy so far. I installed the Beta AMD drivers before I even fired up the game, so never saw any errors regarding that. The single browser plug-in that I have had to get so far is fine and has not caused any issues or heart-ache.

Initially, I had about a 2 hour period of trying to find a server, but couldn't get onto anything because I was gettin "General Error Code 1" and nobody knew what that was. This was about 4 hours after the early access had gone live. Eventually, got onto a server, connected fine, checked my email and FB whilst the game was loading and when loaded fired up the game fine and had a good 3 hour 45minute session.

I like the stats tracking of the Battlelog as it updates pretty damn fast and there is no need for a third party stats tracker. Friends list has worked flawlessly, except for parties as I usually don't get a message to start with them.

Server browser has worked well, filters update very quickly, pings are pretty spot on and general usage I find is fairly easy.

Most evenings when I am actually playing the game, I have Firefox open with my Gmail, ZiiP and FB open at the same time and my memory usage doesn't seem to go beyond 60% at any stage, same for CPU usage, so I'm liking the resource allocation.

Being perfectly honest, I quite like the Battlelog. It's easy to navigate, things work fine, not a resource hog in any way, friends list works well, server browser is good and I don't have to sit through any splash screens.

19. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Play it and forget about the battle log, if something like that stops you from playing a game then you are being a bit pedantic, especially as it's only a beta.

20. b5k

b5k What's a Dremel?

What stopped me playing the game was crashes, server lag, inability to rebind keys to something comfortable, joining errors, audio glitches, etc, etc. The multiple times I tried to tweak my graphics/controls to something better and was spawn killed. (repeating your self drives you mad you know...)

Surprisingly Battlelog didn't stop me playing the game. It's just a retarded concept.