1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam Red Orchestra 2 release date

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by sharpethunder, 21 Jun 2011.

1. Dae314

Dae314 What's a Dremel?

BF2 is a different kind of realism than what RO is going for. BC2 is aiming for realistic environments/realistic physics. RO is going for realistic combat. In BC2 you can expect fair fights, balanced weaponry, a bit of hp so you don't die from being hit once usually, and generally a good/fair/fun fight experience. As far as physics and environment goes, BC2 is amazing. Blowing up something on the ground leaves a crater, buildings collapse, bullets can pierce materials they should be piercing, etc. However, you don't fight a real battle the way you fight a BC2 battle.

RO goes for realistic combat. The sides are not equal, defense is supposed to have a slight advantage over the offence. ANY chest or head shot you hit will kill someone, but only a limited number of people are allowed automatic or even semi-automatic weapons (the rest get bolt action) which puts them at a severe disadvantage for close/medium range. However, that was normal, automatic weaponry wasn't wide spread and common. Some fights are unbalanced, not all weapons are equal, and not everyone can have the best weapons.

The game design is made so you actually start to feel a bit of fear for your character's life like you would feel in a battle. Normal people don't go charging into an enemy encampment unless it's a surprise attack. You don't jump out of cover and barrel your way toward the storm of bullets coming at you. You don't do all that because you feel fear for your life, and you don't want to die. RO1 does this by making it easy for you to die if you do stuff like that (much easier than trying to instill fear of death in a gamer who knows they'll respawn). The effect is the same though, charging in doesn't work so you take cover and try to clear your path before charging or you try to flank. That's how it would've been in a normal battle: take cover and pop out and shoot, or stay behind cover and shoot constantly so you provide cover and others can move up and possibly flank the enemy.

Because taking cover and hiding is a much bigger concern in RO, they try to give players as much control as possible over taking cover. Going prone, leaning left and right, the clunky cover system, those are all mechanisms to try and balance the game for cover style fights. Getting used to this style of fighting takes time, and it forces you to rely more on teamwork to get things done. To be honest, I think BC2 does a better job of emphasizing teamwork than RO does though. Anyway, it's a different, more realistic style of fighting that makes you think a lot more than any other FPS. "Where could he be firing from, can I get to that piece of cover or will he shoot me b4 I can get there, if I get there can I pop up and get a better shot at him, etc." instead of "RAWR! activate/deactivate the m-com or die trying!"

Bede likes this.
  2. sharpethunder

sharpethunder Minimodder

At lease they where quick at releasing the first patch which fixs

A required update for Red Orchestra 2 has just been released. Servers must update to maintain compatibility with clients. To recap what is included in this update:

Update includes:

- fixing the day 1 unlocks not working (Note: there still appears to be some cases where unlocks do not appear, but the major reason for them not working has been fixed. We'll continue working on the other issues with the unlocks and get that out asap).
    - Improved framerate to reduce hitching/dropping when artillery explodes
    - spawn menu looping bug fixed
    - various crash fixes
    - decreased AI MG accuracy for vehicle AI
    - Added a system so outdated servers should no longer show in the server browser (so make sure and update so people can find your servers)

Additionally, we've received word that PBBans streaming is now available for Red Orchestra 2. Head on over to the PBBans website for more information:http://www.pbbans.com/forums/ro2-str...e-t146557.html

3. viewasjack

viewasjack What's a Dremel?

Thoroughly let down by this game. Such a shame.

Its bugged to hell, on my second match in I jumped to level 89 honour and had all the classes/weapons unlock. Also unlocked about 15 Steam achievements, killing 500 enemies with bayonets? I dont think so....So much for a sense of achievement.

Don't get me wrong, its got its plus points, the graphics are nice, and I like the cover and aiming system. Also the tenseness of matches when your one bullet away from death makes every fight seem important to me for some reason, its just a shame its riddled with bugs. I hope the dev's sort some of them out, its got the potential to be a class act.

4. spectre456

spectre456 What's a Dremel?

i fully agree with you. Stats being broken is where i drew the line and i have put the game down 'till it's fixed.

5. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

Stats are a waste of time, I started on lvl 91 I think. They should just get rid. Can't stand stat whores playing for unlocks instead of playing to win.

6. pingu666

pingu666 What's a Dremel?

yeah i dislike unlocks alot too :/

7. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

It is probably psychological, but I have found that I play games for longer that have achievements than I do with games that don't. This is on Steam, XBL and PSN. There is something about getting an achievement that makes you pick up and play the game 'just one more time'.

So, for me anyway, the fact that the stats and achievements are broken takes a little something away from the whole experience. I agree that it shouldn't, but it does!!!

8. Dae314

Dae314 What's a Dremel?

lol I didn't even notice there were stats in this game what xD. What gets unlocked??

9. SMIFFYDUDE

Weapons, abilities and achievements, but eveyone seems to have started on level 85 or higher so no one has noticed anything cos everything is available to them already. I'm on lvl 98 now, having skipped another 6 since yesterday.

Last edited: 2 Oct 2011
  10. Dae314

Dae314 What's a Dremel?

I'm level 4... :(

11. spectre456

New patch released. Stats will be reset tomorrow:

Sauce

12. chewbaccas_nan

chewbaccas_nan Minimodder

Thank god for the stat update, Ive been level 89 for ages and hardly played

13. viewasjack

viewasjack What's a Dremel?

Just played a couple of rounds, seems alot of bugs are gone, stats reset and game seems genuinely playable. Hopefully its sorted...

14. SMIFFYDUDE

Yeah, not noticed anything bad since the update.

Now for the SDK and custom maps. Alte Ziegelei Cheesecake!

15. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

yeah i cant wait for the sdk being released, the game is getting better every week and i am glad i was patient!!

16. sharpethunder

sharpethunder Minimodder

Red Orchestra 2: Rising Storm expansion announced

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/10/19/red-orchestra-2-rising-storm-expansion-announced/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KRM12CR2VU&feature=player_detailpage

A post on the Red Orchestra blog announces Rising Storm as the first expansion pack for Red Orchestra 2. It’ll ferry Red Orchestra 2′s bloody, muddy realism out to the sunny, sandy beaches of the Pacific theatre, where American forces will battle the Japanese army on famous battlefields like Tarawa, Kwajalein, Saipan, Iwo Jima and Peleliu.

The expansion is a total conversion created with help from Red Orchestra’s active modding community. Tripwire recruited a “hit-list” of modders who had worked with Tripwire before, and asked them to help produce the expansion.

“As Red Orchestra: Ostfront had such an avid modding community, producing some pretty good content, it made sense for the Tripwire team, the core of whom were ex-modders themselves, to offer this opportunity to a team of modders,” Rising Storm producer Tony Gillham tells Gamespy.

The US and Japanese factions will be asymmetrically equipped. Gilham tells Gamespy that balancing the well-equipped US forces against a Japanese army that hardly used automatic weapons at the time is the biggest design challenge for the team at the moment, but they’re hoping that carefully constructed maps can help to even out each battle. The expansion’s due to arrive at an unspecified point this year, and IGN have the announcement trailer, which you can see below.

looking forward to this

Last edited: 19 Oct 2011
  17. mikemorton

mikemorton Minimodder

I'm a nervous wreck after playing this - and I've only done the training!

"Miss. High and right. Don't snatch the trigger!"

Ach, what a dummkopf I am.

I can imagine this game is very, very good when you've got a better handle on the controls and tactics.

18. SMIFFYDUDE

Rising Storm will be where all the boring middle aged pedants from the US go to play on servers with stricter rules than the Third Reich. Just like what happened with the Darkest Hour mod for RO1.

19. spectre456

Don't lose faith guys. Hopefully this content pack will bring the community back!

The biggest change?

client side hit-detection

There's gonna be a free weekend for this week as well!

20. Bede

Bede Minimodder

Please explain how client-side hit detection is a good thing? Casual-mode seems like it will split the community, which as I understand is already pretty low on numbers.

I have been on the fence about buying RO2 for a while now, but this update does more to put me off than draw me in.