1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics 570 woes. Update.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Instagib, 26 Sep 2011.

1. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

Right, the girlfriend has offered to take it up to them tomorrow and have a word too (she's a 3rd yr law student, so she relishes the chance to put some Consumer Rights theroy into practise.). I just want a replacement, which I feel well within reason. Also, it's still within 6 months from purchase, so the onus isn't on me to prove the problem.

Lets see what they say tomorro then.

2. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

It's a shame it's gotten this far - poor show from Scan, tbh.

Hope you get it sorted. :thumb:

Instagib likes this.
  3. jizwizard

jizwizard Modder

i do know there are a few evga 570 suffering from the same sort of thing and its to do with opencl. had to rma my card on monday. whether other manufacturers are suffering from this problem i dont know but it seems to happen in dx11 titles. mine would crash on msi kombustor

Instagib likes this.
  4. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Keep us apprised of your experiences with this matter Instagib.

5. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

The majority of the crashes were in dx11 titles, so you may be on to something there.

It's been booked in for a second round of testing, which is fair. I'm just not holding my breath as to them finding anything though. That's the most frustrating part, I know there's something wrong with it, I just can't prove it to them easily. And i can see it from scan's end, they're not gonna want to take it back without some sort of proof. :wallbash:

Maybe i should take my whole rig over next time....

6. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

I'm sorry but armed with the receipt, photo of the screen artifacts and list of (dx11) game titles inwhich they occured and lived local to Scan's Bolton shop, I'd have gone in there and not left until I had a replacement or a refund.

As far as I'm aware Scan are entitled to test the card after you've returned it but not as a precondition to you returning it! They will have an agreement with the manufacturer who will reimburse Scan for returns ....whether the customer is found to be right or wrong.

7. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

"I just can't prove it to them easily"

Haven't you posted a photo of the screen artifacts here. There's ya proof.

Better still, make a video, from cold boot to in-game disappointment and show them that.

Instagib likes this.
  8. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

It's fairly standard way of doing it. I used to work at Aria and that's exactly the same way. Just a photo isn't considered as proof; i could of gotten that pic from anywhere for all they know. Typically, tthey want to be able to reproduce the fault to call it dead.

I would of done the same, not given up and all, but i wasn't there. I'm at worK today so i couldn't get down. Also, i'm not local to them; i'm in wilmslow, 45 - 50 mins from bolton.

Last edited: 5 Oct 2011
  9. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

From reading this thread both yourself and girlfriend have been more than patient with the problem. If a replacement or refund is not forthcoming then I'd submit a letter stating the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended) that I linked earlier and also get get your girlfriend to contact her bank (assuming it was paid on plastic) to see if they have scope to conduct a Chargeback to refund the money directly. Even better if it was on a credit card then Section 75 without a doubt. Have a read here...

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=217849

Instagib likes this.
  10. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

Scan have found an error and have authorised a replacement. Result! :clap::thumb:

Next problem; Out of Stock, with no ETA. :wallbash: I'm never going to get to play DE:HR :waah:

Cheers to all that contributed. Rep will be added.

11. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Simple thing to do, get a refund and go somewhere else unless you seriously want the OC'd version of the card xD Though the same card might be in stock elsewhere. Though the addition of delivery has to be taken into account too.

12. jizwizard

jizwizard Modder

exactly what they tested on mine and it crashed. recieved a new card this morning. one thing i did was to see what the thermal paste was like before i had even used it and found it to be shockingly poor, so reaplied paste to both my cards for safe keeping. i would advise doing this if you can dude

13. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

*copied from update on first post*

I went up today to the Scan shop as the replacement has been out of stock, on their site, for awhile now, with replacements past their ETA. Which is fair enough. I thought it would be a matter of going over, getting a credit note and adding some cash to get a different card. Something like the EVGA Classified.

So I got down, and the guy at the desk was very amicable at first, but when I explained what I wanted to do he said that wasn't possible, they could give me £269; the current value in a straight swap. I.e. i couldn't pay any extra for a different card. (Contrary to what they did in this instance.) Meanwhile, I'm holding an invoice that shows £280; the price I paid.

I asked about a refund then at that point, which he again offered the current selling value. Before I could finish my sentence declining their offer and explaining that the card was faulty, still under warranty and thus should entitle me to a full refund, the guy was on the phone to a manager. Without even bothering to hear me out.

The manager didn't bother to come down, just told the guy on the desk that the shipment of 570's were due in a couple days, I should just take a replacement.

They did offer to ship it out to me, at no cost, as soon as they arrived. The guy at the desk then went about convincing me that the Direct CU2 is the best 570 going and I should just wait. I know it is, that's why I bought one in the first place...

So I took their offer and once again left the building empty handed.

I've lost patience with Scan now and once this is concluded, I will not be partaking in any further business with them in the future, nor can I in all honesty recommend Scan to anyone after the way this whole situation has been dealt with. I have been more than patient with them at every step of the way. In return for my patience, it feels like I'm constantly being jerked around by them. From the initial incorrect RMA diagnosis, to being offered less than what I paid in way of refund, to being told to wait, this whole process just feels like a bad joke at my expense.

God help them if the one they send me is faulty.

14. Slizza

Slizza beautiful to demons

It's there policy to offer a replacement or cash value.

It makes more sense at the end of the warranty period when say a GTX580 may cost £280 so after using the card for a period of time you wouldn't expect them to refund yout he value of a GTX580 for a faulty GTX570.

Still it does sound like you have went through the mill to get the right outcome.

15. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Very poor indeed! If they could not replace they should have definitely offered you the full amount you paid back as a refund, its only fair!

16. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

I can see your point, but don't forget that I challenged the card and it's fitness for purpose within a week of getting it. Had they diagnosed the fault correctly the first time i sent it back, then I would of got the £280. As it was, due to their error, I have had to live with the card, and in the mean time it has fallen to the £269.

17. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

No disrespect intended to Instagib, but if you find yourself in similar circumstances do not run yourself in to the ground trying to resolve the issue. In this case it was the problem of the retailer SCAN to resolve the issue and get Instagib a repair or replacement. Especially since he made the retailer aware of the problem before 6 months expired from the time of purchase.

Ideally the card should have been returned when the problem was first noticed and if SCAN refused to repair or replace this card at the time then follow through with your credit/debit card company whilst making SCAN aware of what you are doing and also issue a letter outlining the problem and the Sale of Goods Act 1979. Also you have many more consumer rights by buying through the website and not visiting the store, bizarre as that may be!

18. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

The thread you linked to in your first post was mine, and thanks to Blogins i got the result i was hoping for, the main factor in mine was that i had only had the "item" (wireless router) 2 months.

There was a common fault with the router, armed with research i went into scan and got it sorted out.

Not sure how long you have hard the card, but graphics cards go faulty.

I guess the only thing you can do is thank your lucky stars you didnt buy an XFX ! The UK returns policy for XFX sucks.

Quick example, friend of mine bought a 4870, went faulty, took it back to scan, then sent it away to XFX (back to Preston which is where i live?), xfx send card back to scan, no fault found. Goes home, tests card again, same fault. I went back to scan and fitted it into one of their test machines, fault showed straight away.

I refused another XFX card for him and walked away with a Gigabyte, Wesley the returns manager has always been good when ive needed him to be.

As stated in other threads though, retailers/etailers will use customers lack of knowledge of the sales of goods act etc against them.

19. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Oops, should of read further. Just seen its within the first 6 months.

Part of the sales of goods act states that if a fault occurs within the first 6 months then its probable that the fault was there at time of purchase (Its the part i used to get my result)

20. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

And as Blogins has said, you get more rights buying through the website as i think you are then protected under the DSR if im correct ?

And if thats the case i will no longer take the 20minute drive to scan, i will just order using my free postage.

However, scans stock system isnt great at the best of times and that could result in delays, which neither i or my customers can afford.