1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable Worth waiting for iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gcwebbyuk, 14 Aug 2011.

1. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

HTC arrived today - really happy with it! Bonus is that the new version of andLess plays Apple Lossless files, so I won't have to re-encode any of my iTunes library :)

Still need to get some form of iPod Touch to support clients though, but may try and pick up a second hand one.

2. OCJunkie

OCJunkie OC your Dremel too

2nd hand is an excellent idea if that's all you need it for.

3. DaveBC

DaveBC What's a Dremel?

I'm sure there will be plenty going on eBay when the next gen iPod touch is released later this year.

4. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

Well the iPhone 4s certainly doesn't appear to be THAT much of an improvement in my opinion:

1. Faster - well that was a given
    2. Better camera - good for most people I guess, but I have a camera that I use. The on-phone editing looks good though.
    3. Siri - can't see myself ever using this! If I wanted a P.A. she would be cute and have nice legs!

Kinda glad I bought the HTC when I did, and didn't wait for this.

5. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

There will probably be a load of regulard 4's available on eBay and since it is almost as good I don't see one why would want the 4s over the regular 4.

6. MiT

MiT Don't feed me after midnight!! nom

I want one of these!!! lol

Wait until silly people start selling there 4, will save you tonnes of money.

7. Puk

Puk (A shrewd and knavish sprite)

The word is that both the phone and pad are soon to go to six monthly releases. I own a IP4, I won't be buying a 4s, that's for sure, my phone is already fine with speed, camera is ok for a pissed night out's pics of ppl planking and the PA? Pfft. sort it out Apple.

8. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

'Sort it out Apple'

Excuse me? What did you just say? Because it sounded like you were being ungrateful towards Apple for launching another phone that's exactly the same physical dimensions as the last model, exactly the same weight but is better in several ways. The smartphone owning population of the world would still be walking around using BlackBerry's with stupidly small keypads and unintuitive software if it weren't for Apple, so I think you might need to re-evaluate your opinion of the 4S launch there mate.

Almost every phone that's ever been launched since 2005 has had a camera that is ok for a pissed up night out and does all the things that a mobile phone is supposed to do - you seem to forget the fact that there are people who use their phones for business for hours and hours every day, and the slightest improvement over the last model makes it an attractive and worthwhile upgrade for them. The vast (and I mean vastt, like effing HUGE) majority of smartphone users today have a smartphone for all the wrong reasons and don't use them to one third of their full potential, my iPhone gets used above and beyond it's full potential each and every day. Facebook, games, SMS that looks like IM apps and iPod. that's what a lot of iPhone users want their iPhone for, not quick easy email, or remote desktop apps, or dropbox file sharing, or the countless other enterprise class features included in iOS...

No, I'm not waiting for iPhone 5. I skipped the 4 to save money and skip the teething problems - the 4S will be a worthwhile upgrade for me.

Last edited: 6 Oct 2011
  9. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Wait and then just buy the 4 if you want it cheap.

10. srgtherasta

srgtherasta Minimodder

Humm I take it the awesomenss of the 4s is why there share price fell after there keynote for it. And why would he be grateful?

11. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

The share price gets twitchy at any announcement at all - judging the 4S on share price because of expectation for the 5 to be coming out is absolutely daft. All that was down to speculative hedging to try and make some money out of the inevitable profits of a new generation iPhone.

12. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

If the reactions with the customers who have been in my store the last couple days I'd say apple will lose out of expected sales that's for sure

13. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Krikkit nailed it on the share price theory mate, and everyone should be grateful for the iPhone in general because whether people like it or agree with it or not, it's consistently the yard stick for the smartphone market. Every single smartphone manufacturer is trying and has been trying since 2007 to match or out-perform whichever version of the Apple device that is current - as I said, we'd all be a lot farther behind with mobile devices if it weren't for the iPhone as a concept and the way that Apple continuously better themselves with every release is a very big part of that. The 3G was revolutionary compared to the original iPhone, the 3GS was a massive improvement over the 3G, the 4, whilst it had it's problems, was a massive improvement on the 3GS and I believe very strongly that the 4S will continue that trend. Their software is a whole other story that has the same basic plot. When, before 2007/8 was Android ever widely known about or written for? It came along as direct competition to iOS and that competition has driven the market and the technology forward at an alarming rate.

On the grand scheme of things, four years is not a lot of time, yet as little as four years ago, in October 2007, I was still using a stupid and irritating LG KG800 handset, along with a Dell PDA for web connectivity and email. I bought an iPhone at the UK launch in mid November and my whole mobile life changed for ever. It made things so much easier and opened up vast possibilities and allowed me to do things on the go that I didn't even know I was capable of. Since then, Apple have pushed harder and faster than anyone with developments and improvements, bringing the rest of the world along with it and setting a stirling example for it's competition.

I'm pretty sure almost nobody else sees it the same as I do, but that's only to be expected. People see things in different ways and have different opinions of Apple as a company - I think the way that I see this launch/reveal is adequately reflected by my posts in this thread.

Last edited: 6 Oct 2011
  14. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

I bought the iPhone 3GS for £200, 1 yr contract, and at the end of my contract I sold it for £225 to Orange. Do the math.

15. driftingphil

driftingphil What's a Dremel?

htc desire s is really good handset, but the best bit is the htc sence it makes using an android phone so much eaiser compared to the likes of samsung.

16. zhzubir4

zhzubir4 What's a Dremel?

Worth waiting for iPhone 5?

Lots of speculation about this feature in iPhone 5. I will not buy another Mac product iPhone, iPad or Macbook Air unless 4G is integrated.

I wonder how many Apple customers/users feel the same way and if this will have a negative impact on projected unit sales of iPhone 5.

17. Lord-Vale3

Lord-Vale3 His Tremendousness

Burn the necromancer!!@!@!#!!

Anyways.

Nokia Lumia 900.

18. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

You can always flash a custom rom, i`d recommend coredroid for your desire revolution hd isgood as well, also grab a mugen battery and get a nice overclock

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

19. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

This is kinda the worst time to buy an iPhone 4 imo

The 5 can't be too far away and the 4 has been out for a long time - just long enough that price drops are close. But not quite here yet. If you haven't bought one all this time then patience! For just a couple more months :)