1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows XP to 7 using "hidden" Windows folder

Discussion in 'Software' started by ModSquid, 6 Oct 2011.

1. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Recently I looked into upgrading from XP to 7 and stumbled across a webpage that showed how to do this using some sort of hidden Windows folder, thereby negating the need to reinstall your apps and programs once migration was complete.

I'm trying to find this page again but can't seem to locate it (now kicking myself for not bookmarking it at the time) - can anyone help?

Cheers,
    Squiddy

2. DieselPower

DieselPower What's a Dremel?

3. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

never used easy transfer.. but that's pretty cool

4. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Really isnt, used it and it makes a new install feel like the old one.

5. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

6. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

I didnt think you could 'upgrade' from XP to W7. I think you need a fresh install

7. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

It is a fresh install of the new OS, but it means you don't have to re-download all your programs you currently have installed.

That said, I'd just make a list of all the programs, note any registry keys required ( for purchased licenses ), then redownload them anyway- will probably be quicker regardless and wont carry over any unnecessary rubbish.

8. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

It's not actually the Windows Easy Transfer or any other Windows tool I was on about - more a bit of jiggery-pokery using the Windows.old folder (I think). I'll keep looking, as I seem to remember it negating the need to look in the registry etc..

Incidentally, how would you retrieve keys for licenses from there?

9. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Think you right I'm sure you cant upgrade from XP to W7

10. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Yeah, it's not a straight upgrade as such. It's a fresh install of 7, as you suggest, but then there's apparently a way of moving all programs and applications without having to reinstall.

I'll keep digging and see if I can find the link...

11. matt_lumley

matt_lumley You're only supposed to...

windows.old is created when you do an upgrade install, it keeps all your old stuff on the HDD incase you forgot to back something up etc but all the programs etc still need to be installed again to put them into the new OS :)

12. Picky88

Picky88 What's a Dremel?

Even if you can force windows 7 to use your program files folder from xp, its likely to be really buggy, as many applications will reference dll files, etc found in xp. You are going to make it alot more complicated, when the idea is to try and save time. Do as SuicideNeil says, get your licence keys and reinstall, it will end up quicker in the long run honestly!

13. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

Meh, window.old was something I looked at after upgrading from XP to 7; retrieved any files & pictures I wanted that weren't already on my external backup, then deleted it whole-sale, re-downloaded all my programs that I made a list of in notepad.

As for license keys- note them down before you do the upgrade, otherwise you can retrieve them via email usually from the site/company you bought the program from originally ( since they usually make you create an account or send your email in order to send you the license key ).

14. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Point taken - cheers. How do you retrieve your keys from the registry, though?

15. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

16. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Cheers Noiz - will give it a shot...

17. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

The free version does only work with Windows keys and office keys, if you're after different ones then you'll need something different. Either the paid for version or something else. I've never found a program that's free that reads loads of keys from the registry. hence I have the 'paid for' version just in case. It might be possible to do it manually, but I've never tried.