1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays 2560x1440 displays Budget of £700

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sharpethunder, 6 Oct 2011.

1. sharpethunder

sharpethunder Minimodder

i am looking for a good display i can afford to buy 3 but i will stick with 1 for the moment any recommendation are welcome

2. Polymorph83

Polymorph83 What's a Dremel?

Hazro HZ27WC , around the £400 mark for the lower end model , Highly reccomended .
    I really shouldnt post a link as i am unsure of the rulings about doing so .

3. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

The Dell U2711 is very popular here as many people have managed to get it quite a bit below its normal going price.

Is there any reason why you want 2560x1440 and not 2560x1600, since price is not a limit? I'd say check out some 30" displays (HP ZR30W, Dell U3011) before you decide to get one or more 27"s. ;)

4. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

+ 1 on the Dell U2711 great monitors I game on mine and its great for it

5. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

If you are going for the U2711 then get a quote from Dell small business and say you work freelance. By doing this I got it for £570 a couple of months ago. That sliced a few hundred pounds off the RRP so it's worth doing!

6. Maximilian

Maximilian WC Virgin

+1 for Dell U2711, I am still amazed by this screen every time I fire it up. Incredible. £625 with the 3 year premium pixel guarantee.

And if you don't mind a cheap stand and less inputs go for the £350 Hazro and save yourself a few hundred quid. (But still happy I paid the extra for the Dell personally)

7. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

Definitely the U2711, pick it over the U3011 due to reported input lag.

It is amazing, as the prices continue to tumble, I really am tempted to get a second and third - I'm limited only by small desk space, and lack of imagination of what to use them for!

TSB

8. yassarikhan786

yassarikhan786 Ultramodder(Not)

The U2711 is an obvious choice here. I have the U2410, which I'm extremely happy with, so you can't go wrong with a better larger monitor from the Ultrasharp range :).

9. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

U2711 is amazing :)

10. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

All the hype about input lag is OTT tbh - it's very easy to get caught up in it.

My current IPS monitors are about as far from gaming monitors as you can imagine and have (reportedly) the highest input lag of any 24" IPS monitor, and I must say I cannot perceive a difference between these and any uber-fast TN or CRT monitor I've used in the past.

11. Roskoken

Roskoken What's a Dremel?

True, many differences in specs, especialy those on large fancy TV's are not even discernible by the human eye, wouldnt think that in the price of some of them though eh.

12. SlowMotionSuicide

SlowMotionSuicide Come Hell or High Water

Dell U2711.

/thread

13. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

it's not /thread at all. The OP has not said what his main usage is?

Are you a gamer? Do you need it for serious photoshop or graphics work?

If you want three eventually, but one for now, it's reasonable to assume you are not looking down the back of the sofa for loose change, so there are MUCH better monitors out there than the Dell U2711, and why limit yourself to 2560x1440 when 2560x1600 is within your grasp?

What do you use your computer for?

14. SlowMotionSuicide

Please educate me. Which 2560x1440 monitor, under 700£ surpasses Dell U2711?

15. Pookeyhead

Please re read my post. My point was, why limit yourself to £700 or 2560x1440 when you've clearly got a large budget ( he was planning on three... but only one now). That's clearly someone who can regularly have a spare £700 floating around. If he's only buying one now, my point was buy something better still. He's clearly shooting for awesome eventually... so start with awesome.

For £700 there's not much to beat the U2711, no... but that wasn't my point.

16. SlowMotionSuicide

Contradict much?

OP asked simply for a monitor with a resolution 2560x1440 under 700£. Dell U2711 is pretty much the definite answer for that question. Hence /thread.

What you're basically saying is, "not good enough, go spend even more"?

17. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

The £700 budget wasn't in the title when I responded to the thread... :eyebrow:

Even so, I'm still with Pookey on this one - if the OP "can afford to buy 3" £700 monitors, there is definitely more scope than just "three U2711s" with his budget. If I had the money for three U2711s, rest assured that's not what I would buy. Sometimes people have a fixed idea of what they want but it can be misinformed or premature...and as Pook says, we don't know his intended use. It would be good to have him contribute a little more to the thread.

I must say the thread title is a lot like a big flower with "U2711 fanboy nectar" at its centre. :brrr:

18. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

What Pook is saying is that the OP clearly has plenty of cash around, so why the exacting restriction of 2560*1440 and £700. There are better choices to be had for minor fluctuations in budget and resolution.

[edit] Rhys got there before me. :p

19. SlowMotionSuicide

Fair enough, I see your point.

I will argue, however, that if one needs to go around asking forums (especially with one-sentence questions) what monitor to get, it'll be bloody waste to blow money on anything more than U2711, and even that is probably overkill. Better to spend the money on liquor & women than 2000£ Eizos, or whatever it is that makes the more refined monitor enthusiasts tick.

As much as I passionately hate the word "fanboy", I got to agree on this one.

20. Pookeyhead

No I'm not... What I was saying was if you can afford to have THREE 2560x1440 screens.. you're demonstrating you obviously have no financial problems... and if you plan on buying only one of them now, why limit yourself to 2560x1440?

Relax.. (I Noticed you have a U2711 in your sig)... I'm not saying your monitor is crap or anything ;)

I was referring to resolution rather than quality. The Dell is a very high quality screen indeed. While high end Eizo screens are better, you're into the realms of diminishing returns. My Eizo costs almost three times as much, but it is far from three times better.. it's not even twice as good... it's just measurably better, and that's enough if you make money from the work you produce on it.

Unless the guy is a image professional three Dell U3011s would be where I'd be aiming... just because if you can.. why not? That extra vertical resolution really does make a difference.

Last edited: 8 Oct 2011