1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Rage - Anyone excited?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Da_Rude_Baboon, 28 Sep 2011.

1. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Exactamente mon ami.

2. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

had to upgrade the ati drivers to play.. they had a fix out on the 4th just for rage

3. Ayrto

Ayrto What's a Dremel?

Didn't they mention releasing a high res texture pack? It looks like it needs more than that though admittedly. It's Open GL based but that's well behind DX11 in terms of its capabilities :blush:

Something similar happened with UT3, at launch, features were missing , limited tweaking of graphical settings, it's terrible when you read of ,'simultaneous development', alongside a game you're looking forward to. It virtually always means bad port, as no company can invest in extensively differentiated builds of the same game. ( tho DICE seem to have for BF3). Clearly PC tech is too advanced to be anything other than primary/or lead development platform now.

Last edited: 7 Oct 2011
  4. rogerrabbits

rogerrabbits What's a Dremel?

Played it at my mates house, thought it was ok but a bit boring.

The graphics are average. The sky was completely static, and both that and the background environments are flat and still and reminded me of the painted backdrop at a theatre. Some of the textures were crappy, and the texture pop up was annoying.

The gunplay was not bad, just very old school with nothing new or interesting about it (at least in the first few hours which I saw), but whereas in the past you used to get it presented to you really nicely in games like Doom and Quake, nowdays everyone seems to insist on making a "sandbox" approach for some reason, which means that to get your 5 minutes of action, you have to do some tedious running, then tedious driving, and then tedious conversation with stupid NPC, to get some stupid quest to go and collect some stupid item, and then you have to do some more running and more driving and then you get your 5 minutes of shooting.

Not a bad game, just not for me. To me it's Borderlands 2.

5. impar

impar Minimodder

6. WildThing

WildThing Minimodder

I'm installing this now from my retail copy - taking forever! First thing that's annoyed me is, it's adding itself to Steam. I bought it retail thinking I could have it on my SSD. Now gonna have to piss around with steam mover if I want SSD load times...:sigh:

7. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

It shouldn't take too long to move the files and set up a symbolic link.

8. mikemorton

mikemorton Minimodder

It looks like a poor man's Borderlands, but to be fair that game's had two years to get polished while Rage has had less than two days.

The tearing is annoying, and I found it took forever to draw the textures (what little textures there were).

That's pretty lame for what's a very low-res game in the first place.

Maybe it doesn't like SLI, as I have two 580s.

It seems to be more and more the case that it's actually better to play a game a year or so after it's been released.

That way the game will have technically matured - and will probably be cheaper too.

The joys of being an early adapter eh? I suppose we have only ourselves to blame.

9. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Obvously the port to PC is problematic as I played it on the 360 last night and I have to say that it looks very good indeed. The textures are sharp and crisp - some of the best I have seen on the console. It is nice to see a game that doesn't make use of blur and other trickery to get good visual results. There is a timy bit of texture pop-in, but you have to be quite quick to spot it. They have obviously put a lot of work in getting the engine to run on this console.

The game itself seems like a cross between Borderlands and Fallout 3. The combat is a tad simplistic and so far on Hard mode it isn't too much of a challenge (I am only 3 hours in though). The AI seems a bit 'A' rather than 'I' if you know what I mean!

Not played Multiplayer or Co-op yet as on the 360 you have to change disks (even though all three disks are installed) and frankly I couldn't be bothered to get up!

So far I am glad I got it on the 360 rather than the PC. Like I did with Bordelrands, I might get it on the PC later when it's in a crazy Steam sale.

10. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

With the way it looks, I don't understand why its a 20gb install. Even adding the cfg file to force 8k texture it's still looking like smears of poo. I'm hoping it gets resolved with the upcoming patch and rumored 64bit exe. For being 'open' world you can't go where you think you should due to all of the invisible walls everywhere. Fallout3 did a much better job on both counts as far as I'm concerned.
    My biggest gripe is I wish the driving was first person too, like HL2.
    I am looking forward to more difficulty as it goes on hopefully. I don't consider myself to be that good, but I'm starting to feel I should have selected extreme mode. With the half binocular and pistol it is really too easy. I've only got hit a few times by mutants in close quarters down in the sewers.

11. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Hokay. Downloaded this last night, completed it about five minutes ago. On normal.

It's a damn solid game, apart from the fact BT will probably give me a Cease and Desist letter for dowloading 21GB of game straight from steam; I haven't found any large faults with it.

Admittedly; It's bloody annoying when an ordinary mutant tanks four shotgun shells later on in the game, and also somewhat crazy when a HE grenade explodes ontop of someone's foot and they just stumble a little.

I suppose the biggest fault with this game is it reminds me, personally, too much of Borderlands, as well as the teasing of weapon upgrades, so I keep hoping to find or buy one that'll make whatever I happen to be using at the time so much better.

Difficulty curve is annoying, too. Although the Bosses are a pleasant change and not too hard to cope with if you've got the right equipment.

Also; Sentry bots are totally OP. One of them damn near took down a boss by itself.

12. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

First patch out:
    http://store.steampowered.com/news/?feed=steam_updates&appids=9200

13. bagman

bagman Minimodder

But there is no excuse for the game to be unplayable for a lot of people.

14. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Totally. Was just posting Carmacks thoughts on the matter.
    Am staying way clear of that game before some patches and a price drop.

15. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I can see exactly what he means, but why not have a split release to let you iron out some of the shocking PC bugs while the console copies are zooming off the shelves?

16. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

That would have been more sensible - it is not as if PC gamers aren't used to a later release. As I said earlier I am playing this on the 360 and it is most excellent - a totally different game to what people who have the PC version are experiencing.

Potential Spoiler.....
    Learning curve is a bit weird - it's pretty easy until you get to subway town and then all hell breaks loose! Suddenly it is very hard - especially those damn mutants who dip and swerve when they are running at you!

The dynamite bolts are the best weapon so far - they kill almost anything with a couple of hits if you get them off quick enough. I spend all my cash constructing them though! Luckily I have built a killer collection of cards and can win most games in the bar.

I am playing on Hard mode.

17. Apocalypso

Apocalypso Fully armed and operational.

I was too late to cancel my preorder but I'm not regretting that.

According to my steam account I've played fifteen hours and have just reached the subway town, I'm really enjoying myself so far.

I only have two issues which are the truly horrible textures and the weapon selection.

From a distance textures look muddy and out of focus, close up they're just as bad, small objects like trees or desks, tables etc are rough and ugly. Oh and they still pop with the update. Very poor indeed.

The weapon swap system makes little sense to me as I'm able to assign four quick swap whereas I can just hit the corresponding number key to automatically switch to that weapon, why not just have all the weapons selectable and do away with the four or vice versa, it's a minor gripe all told but I just can't my head around it.

Last edited: 10 Oct 2011
  18. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Because it is also a console game and there are no number keys on a joypad! A lot of controls on ported games make no sense when on the PC.

You definitely need more ammo from Subway Town and beyond!!!

19. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

Thought I would chime in here.

Q6600, 2 gigs of DDr2, and a 9800gt. I'm using the current stable non-beta nvidia drivers.

I get 50-60 fps and I have zero texture pop in issues. The only graphical issue I have is screen tearing.

As for the game, I like it so far.

20. Apocalypso

Apocalypso Fully armed and operational.

But to leave the entire system in is what I find hard to understand, I guess I shouldn't be surprised though.

Also; upgraded wingsticks.