1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Just ordered my Dell u2711

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by j4mi3, 11 Oct 2011.

1. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

I hope its as good as everyone says it is ;)

2. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

Enjoy :)

3. Yeoo

Yeoo Minimodder

where you order from?

4. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

amazon. should be here on thursday

5. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

I do like mine but I'm not overly impressed by the black or the backlight bleed in the corners.

6. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

i had heard about this but i heard it wasnt that bad at all. and frankly anything will be an improvement over my current screen

7. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Great monitor.

8. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

woop woop.

the only things stopping my comp from being kickass now is the graphics card. which i hope to upgrade when the new series come out.

you may be thinking, lol why did you get a massive screen with a crap card. well, it isnt that bad, its a 4870. and i dont expect to max any games until my new card comes. i just look forward to enjoying the colours and extra space.

9. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

It's a bi-product of IPS. It's not backlight bleed as such. If you look at it head on from a greater distance, you can't see it. It's a product of poor black viewing angles on IPS screens. The screen is that large that when you sit close (normal desktop distance) the angles between the corners and your eyes are much greater than the centre and your eyes. I had the same problem with my Dell 3008. I returned it and went with a S-PVA screen.

It either bothers you or it doesn't. If it doesn't bother you then you'll love the 2711. Nice screen. The aggressive anti reflection coating makes light areas a little sparkly which takes some getting used to, but one of the better screens out there.

10. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

yeah im hoping i will just get used to the anti glare. that honestly is my only worry about buying it. i guess we will find out in a couple of days now.

although i do plan to use photoshop on it, i am not a professional photographer so i think it should be fine.

i noticed you have an eizo. nice :p

11. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

edit: eeek just been reading some stuff, i need a 'dual link capable graphics card'. crap.

is a 4870 dual link capable? this is scary...

luckily it hasnt been shipped so i can cancel if it i need to

12. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

edit2: phew looks like im ok. quoted from ati website:

13. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Yeah you need dual link for that res, but as you've found out your card will be fine. The anti glare isn't a deal breaker, just looks a bit weird at first.

14. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

I was exactly the same! Just waiting for a new round of graphics cards that'll offer decent Video RAM and better a GTX 580 for performance at 2560 by 1440. Love my GTX 460 SLI but with newer games the cracks are beginning to show a little!

Also, if you absolutely hate the monitor, rest assured. It can always be returned for whatever reason under the Distance Selling Regulations which you can read more about from the consumer rights thread linked in my signature!

15. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

Thanks bro

16. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

It's a great monitor.
    I have the U2410, granted much smaller, but to comment on the black effect. I do see it on a pure black screen, but when matching wide screen movie where you have black lines on top and bottom, despite your wide screen monitor, I don't see any problem. I start to do, when I put the brightness at above 80% in a dark environment... Another example, when I am on bit-tech, at the bottom of this very page, where the left and right side of the forum page is total black, I don't see anything beside black.

Now 80% brightness might seam nothing, I know many people (including many of our monitor at work) have the monitor brightness set at 100%. But the Dell U2410/2711/3011/2311H are SUPER DUPER bright. I have my U2410 at 0% brightness . And it's not OF. it's about 40-50% brightness level, if I put my laptop next to it. 50% (default) is very bright.. anything above that, practically will you make you blind on a white screen. I wonder if they used freaking projectors light that spins on top of building to alert planes, as back light system. (They don't, that is just me playing idiot.. but it make you wonder that)

Setup tip:
    Remember that once you turn on the monitor, the default color profile is set to Store shelf settings (Standard), nothing really impressive... well it could be miles better than what you have now, but if you want to be blown away. I suggest to use select the pre-calibrated color profiles sRGB or Adobe RGB based on your preference. NOW, WARNING: What I just said applies and assumes that you don't any professional image editing work. If you use Adobe RGB, you need to setup PhotoShop (or wtv picture editor you use) properly to reflect the proper color space used. Else when you'll print pictures, they will won't appear as they show on your screen exactly, and now you have a problem.
    Also, note, as you probably saw from reviews, the color profiles, despite calibrated aren't pin point color accurate. It's good... but not good enough for some pro work. You may want to get your own trusty color calibrator. PookeyHead and a few people here can help you (I think there is even a thread on this, somewhere), that can help you setup everything properly.

But if you don't care about professional picture editing, using sRGB or Adobe RGB will be a lot better than Standard, and enjoy more this great monitor. If you use Adobe RGB, and your pictures looks strange, make sure you have the color profile in Windows, set to sRGB instead of the monitor provided color profile that Windows will get via Windows update automatically.
    If you wonder for pro work, both profiles are wrong, you want a custom profile for your monitor, done with your color calibrator for best results.

If the monitor beeps every-time you press any buttons, don't worry, you can turn it off under "Other Settings" section of the on screen menu.

I have my U2410 set to use Adobe RGB color space. I don't do any professional image work, other than my website and icons in my own software. I am just a person that enjoy colors very much. I don't need pin point color accuracy, but I don't over saturated or bland/flat/lifeless either. Something in between and somewhat close, I am happy.

Also follow box instructions on how to open the box properly to avoid any damage to the monitor (it is heavy for a monitor! (and the metal stand, doesn't help (it's heavy as well)). It's not 6Tone heavy, but it's heavier than one would expect from a monitor, especially coming from a ~low end range, and smaller screens, of course.

Enjoy!

Please tell us what you think of it when you have it. Feel free to post pictures too!

j4mi3 likes this.
  17. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

thanks very much for your input as usual goodbytes. i will most definitely upload pics of this beast!

18. Maximilian

Maximilian WC Virgin

Great choice, I am loving mine.

19. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

Yeah buddy, grats!

There's a link I need to find you about setting it up properly with the Adobe 1998 RGB ICC profile...

TSB

20. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

this is one massive son of a BITCH!

fits perfectly on my desk like i measured it too. will get some pics up in a sec

i pretty much immideately noticed this anti glare coating people say makes **** fuzzy, but frankly, its not a deal breaker for me.

moreover its only on white backgrounds i have noticed it

i am just revelling in its brightness, colours and real estate right now.

also, i have set it at adobe rgb from the presets, this is fine right?

Last edited: 13 Oct 2011