1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware AMD FX-8150 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 12 Oct 2011.

1. Blazza181

Blazza181 SVM PLACENTA CASEI

Tis be a pity.

Now I think it's time to buy that 2500K

2. Blackshark

Blackshark What's a Dremel?

AMD simply doesnt have the money or resources to go up against Intel and build a processor for 2 markets (home and server). Its a shame but good on BitTech for being honest. But from the perspective of someone working in a Swedish University IT dept, I am sure my colleagues who source and update the servers here will be looking out to update their Opts soon enough.

3. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

I purchased a 2500k setup two days ago and had it running yesterday. Was a bit concerned that AMD would really come around this time and make something great but alas. I am happy with my 2500k.

4. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

A few more game benchies would have been nice seeing as one was bugged, you know since we have been waiting for so long for them.

5. sear

sear What's a Dremel?

I like the horrendously negative conclusions coupled with the poor but not altogether terrible score. Jeez, what does a processor have to do to get a 5/10 or less, kill your mother or something?

6. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

I find myself wondering why AMD bothered to release this at all. I am reminded of the original Phenom launch, where pretty much everything across the board was late to the party and stil failed to compete.

Damn shame.

7. DBA

DBA I do my modding with a spoon

this. this should have been the headline.

... and what's been on my mind every time someone said "bulldozer is gonna trash Sandy-bridge"

8. BrightCandle

BrightCandle What's a Dremel?

This CPU is definitely a 10% score. Go on use the full range of possibilities! 59% is far to high for a CPU that is that bad.

9. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

it's a t*rd... It has an higher base clock than the 2500/2600 and still can't compete in single thread. Why don't they improve single thread performance? and that memory controller is slow... I'm glad I didn't wait for this, and bought the 2600k.

10. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Be better off calling it a Phenom II X8? Seems to be all it is performance wise.

I am actually quite angry, what a load rubbish.

11. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Have to say I am disappointed as I wanted some competition to make Intel drop the prices of there cpu's.

I did however see this coming as yesterday AMD were pulling the post's and video's from the net of the guy, who bought one early and basically said they stink but in other word's.

Oh well stick with my 2500k for now and wait for Sandy Bridge E to come along.

12. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

My old MATX 1156 board died and I was semi forced into buying a 2500k as I couldn't get another one. I'm so glad to see that I didn't buy in too soon and that Z68 was the sensible option. Phew.

13. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

What the hell?

My X3 720 scores higher in the image editing test... :S

EDIT: Correction; my X3 720 scores higher at 3.6GHz than this does at 4.8GHz. Epic fail much?

14. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

Seriously AMD... What have you been doing :-/

15. tonyd223

tonyd223 king of nothing

and have you seen the power difference!

16. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Such a disapointment. I had high hopes from this, it ruins my entire day. Maybe a test under Linux or with database use ... probably where it could be a decent cpu.

Intel all the way for me now :waah:

17. tonyd223

tonyd223 king of nothing

ok - so it's actually not an 8-core processor, it's a super 4 core - so how does it compare to the 975 X4 Phenom II?

which is a lot cheaper...

18. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

C'mon guys, it ain't that bad - as long as your code is heavily threaded, compiled to use AVX instructions, performs mostly integer calculations and crams the pipeline by avoiding too many branch instructions. Then it might suit you :p

19. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

:hehe::hehe: :clap::clap: :lol::lol: ... I really think it's a professionnal CPU (database and number crunching). It might be a good CPU for coding purpose, lot's of fun. Maybe a coding machine .... have to see the budget ... but I want to see review oriented on calculus (rendering, math / physics)

20. Krayzie_B.o.n.e.

Krayzie_B.o.n.e. What's a Dremel?

The FX-8150 and AMD once again at the bottom of the benchmarks. I dumped AMD and jumped ship for Intel a while ago although I was hoping AMD would be competitive it seems that they stand no chance against Intel. Very sad that the little engine no longer can! Oh well I'm enjoying my Core i7 2500K and my GTX 560ti Sli set-up! AMD = 2nd place!

Tags: Add Tags