1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Why We Need Origin

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 6 Oct 2011.

1. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

Are we talking RRP or the price retail stores sell for?

2. Lenderz

Lenderz Minimodder

What? Portal 2 was £25 on pre-order, or £47.98 for the two pack.

:facts:

3. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

You know guys....i'm for valve, i bought portal 2 on pre order, what i'm saying was it isnt ludicrously cheap as a download as they will make the right money etc, YES it is cheaper than other releases, but i was trying to say is they started at a high price point, offered a pre order bonus, it went down to £20 in a few months then on sale recently for £10 offering it to all types of buyer. It was an example of a good way to sell games!

4. facior

facior What's a Dremel?

THIS ARTICLE IS SPONSORED BY EA.

Nobody needs nor wants Origin but EA. Author of this article has no idea what monopoly is. If you can buy a game in any retail shop not through Steam u cannot say about anything about Steam monopoly.
    It is a form of selling and EA only wants to get money from it too, seeing how Steam is seccesful.

Read EULA for Origing and u will see that it has all featers of Spyware.
    EA want through Orgin earn money not only on sales of game but on selling ur private data to third parties too.

I just canceld my preorder and I am not buying BF3 if even retail disk game will require installing this spyware Origin.

5. mdshann

mdshann What's a Dremel?

I still don't understand why a digital copy costs the same as a boxed copy.

6. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

For the simple reason that publishers still want to be able to sell copies in retail stores. Retailers are not going to buy thousands of copies to sell through their stores if the best price they can offer is undercut by a publisher's own online store.

7. AstralWanderer

AstralWanderer What's a Dremel?

If that was the case, then those same retailers would be able to block the heavy discounts offered by the likes of Amazon or Play (even on pre-launch orders) by insisting that publishers sell to them at a higher price. And there would be no 70%+ discount Steam sales.

Furthermore, as Darryl Still (international publishing director for 1C) points out in Retail vs Steam, retail sales are now far less influential than the digital marketplace.

As such, the "retail boycott" seems more like a convenient excuse for some digital distributors to screw over their fanbase.

8. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

I would imagine that would be more an issue of buying power of those bigger retailers than anything else. It's not the same thing as the publisher themselves undercutting the retailers it's selling to.

And how often does that happen in the first few weeks/months following a games release?

9. AstralWanderer

AstralWanderer What's a Dremel?

But according to the article linked, Steam's buying power dwarfed that of the brick-and-mortar crowd so Steam should be the one dictating prices.
    Don't use Steam so I don't know. GOG however did offer a 40% discount on Witcher 2 just 3 months after its release.

10. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

Seemed to me that the article stated that Steam was selling more than one brick-and-mortar store, not all of them.

After 3 months I'd imagine that most people who were going to buy it for the release price would have already done so.

11. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

More PC-gaming community fracturation into several services...

12. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Fracturation ? Both of those are on Steam. :eyebrow:

13. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Yet the digital copy often costs more money than the boxed edition. No production costs, yet an inflated price.

Game companys want us to all go digital don't they? Making digital cheaper than boxed should be the way to go. It is not under cutting when you don't have to print, press and ship physical copies. I know they have to pay costs for servers, maintenance and bandwidth, but they are doing this anyway/as well as. Digital has to be cheaper than the alternative.

I think the reason digital costs the same or more, is because they make back a little on what they spend on boxed editions. Quite smart really.

Last edited: 27 Oct 2011
  14. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Sure. So, will you buy the Steam or Origin or XYZ version?
    Will you keep in touch, while gaming, with your Steam friends or Origin friends or XYZ friends? Or all of them?

You ever tried running a game through one of those DD platforms while keeping in touch with friends from other DD platform?
    I did with Starcraft 2 (battle.net) ladder games and trying to keep in touch with Steam friends. A nightmare.

15. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

So you complain about the fact that the social features are not integrated. Reason to be angry, that is for sure. Steam friends can't talk to Origin friends, they cannot talk to Facebook friends, none of them can talk to Google Talk, ICQ, AIM, MSN, (insert any IM messaging platform here)...

Seriously, if this is your biggest problem, then call yourself lucky.

16. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

I think Origin is a good idea however I dont see it getting the care and attention it needs to be successfull like steam did back in the day + i foresee EA being shitbags and not releasing thier games on steam anymore.

17. Big_malc

Big_malc Minimodder

Have to agree with this as they will try to force people to use to use origin

18. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

You seem to have missed the point. It's not that the digital copy actually costs more than the physical copy, it's that no retail store in their right mind is going to purchase copies to sell through their brick and mortar stores if hte publisher is turning around and selling the same game by digital distribution for a price that the retailers simply can't match without losing money.

countstex likes this.
  19. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Yep. And its geting worse.

20. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

What is all this about origin being bad spyware, I'm really put off using it now until I find out more about it, is it as bad as many are making out?.

Installed BF3 earlier but after reading up a little about origin being 24-7 spyware I'm rather put off bothering with it, could anyone enlighten me?.

Tags: Add Tags