1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LOL Idiotic things customers/people have said to you

Discussion in 'General' started by noizdaemon666, 13 Sep 2011.

1. Dae314

Dae314 What's a Dremel?

This one just happened to me.

My friend just found out that cookies and cached data from his web browser actually takes up a significant amount of space. He texts me really enthusiastically: "Do you know what cached web pages and cookies are?? I just deleted them and I got like 7GB back on my computer!"

He's a computer science major in my class -_-. I explain to him really briefly what cookies and cached webpages are, and I recommend him CCleaner to do that kind of cleaning for him.

He responds with something like "cool, but I'll just stick with the built in stuff on chrome."

I don't want him to miss out on an awesome utility so I throw in some extra information: "You should use CCleaner anyway, it can also clean your registry for you."

The answer I got to that was priceless:
    "OH! You mean like the accumulator and index register!!!"

That is quoted character for character, and I laughed my ass off for a good 10 minutes before I finally got myself together enough to send him a nice sarcastic reply.

2. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

And that guy is taking a Computer Science Major? :eyebrow:

3. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Because Computer Science has anything to do with Windows?

4. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

You'd think they'd have a bit of an idea about that kind of thing though.

mvagusta likes this.
  5. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

It's that age old conundrum though; some of the most intelligent people around have absolutely no commonsense ( or book smart vs street smart, so long as the expression isn't taken out of context and used as an insult towards non-university educated folk.. ).

6. Dae314

Dae314 What's a Dremel?

I mentioned that he was a computer science major to explain why he would know about CPU registers but not the windows registry. He does have a Windows computer though, but I should've really seen that one coming when he was texting me that he finally learned how to clean up cookies...

mvagusta likes this.
  7. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

I'd like to have seen his list of cookies if he thinks he had 7Gb of them!

8. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

I'd imagine cached files would take up the bulk of the space.

9. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Exactly. Big difference between Computer Science and knowing how Windows works intimately.

mvagusta likes this.
  10. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

I know a few Comp Sci fellas who only use Apple and Linux.

Windows isn't a requisite, and generally the only need to touch it is for University systems.

11. andreinuk

andreinuk Minimodder

A couple of examples for you;

Whilost selling holidays, I received a call from an old lady who had been looking on teletext for her usual holiday to Spain. Price advertised was £289 per person for 7 nights. I wnet through all the details with her and gave her a price of £274 per person. Great you would think, but not for her.
    Old Lady:"Why is the price different than teletext?"
    Me:"There may have been a reduction in the cost of the flights as this can fluctuate."
    Old Lady:"I want to pay the price it says on teletext."
    Me:"The price quoted is cheaper than the price advertised."
    Old Lady:"Look, I want the holiday advertised on teletext at £289 per person".
    Me:"This is the holiday advertised on teletext but you are paying £15 per person less".
    Old Lady:"No it isn't, the holiday I want is £289 per person. It says so on the television".
    Me(starting to get a little annoyed as she has been on the phone over half an hour):"Would you like me to add on £15 per person, this will give you the price of £289 per person as advertised".
    Old Lady:"Well if you are going to be like that I want to speak to your manager".

After 20 minutes with the manager she finally got off the phone without booking the holiday as she didn't trust either of us.

I went into a little local computer shop and asked for a crossover network cable so I could link 2 pcs.
    Me:"I'd like a 2m crossover network cable, please".
    Assistant:"All of our network cables are over here".
    Me:"These are all patch cables, I need a crossover cable. So I can link 2 pcs directly".
    Assistant:"There is no such thing, they only make 1 type of network cable and this is it".
    Me:"No these are for use with a router or switch, I want a crossover cable".
    Assistant:"Are you sure you know what you are talking about, there is only one type of cable".

I then decided to leave the store. Its just really annoying when you go to buy something and the person selling it has no idea.

I also used to get stopped quite regularly with people selling broadband. They give me the spiel about it and I'd ask what the contention ratio was. Which only on one occasion did the sales guy know what it was. All the rest had no idea what I was talking about.

12. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

@andreinuk, you might already know, but I thought I'd mention it just in case.
    If you're connecting pc's with modern nic's/mobo's, then they should auto detect/eliminate the need for a xover cable.

My stupid encounter of the week:
    I was working in a women's prison the other day, in and around the kitchen.
    I commented on how I was surprised to see the wide range of popular breakfast cereals, fruit juices, and all the quality fruit and vegetable's being prepared for the inmates, and the chefs were telling me about how every week the menu's include items such as porterhouse steak, chicken kiev, smoked salmon, yet the inmates still complain :grr:

This is what taxpayers are funding :confused:

Last edited: 14 Oct 2011
  13. andreinuk

andreinuk Minimodder

Yes, this was some time ago. It was to use with a couple of K6-2 500 base units so you can imagine how long ago it was.

14. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

oh wow :lol:

But back then, coax networks were still very common IIRC, but I guess for a pc shop he was a bit derpish :hehe:

15. andreinuk

andreinuk Minimodder

I still have one of the k6 processors left with motherboard and memory. I seem to be unable to throw things out "just in case" they come in handy.

mvagusta likes this.
  16. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

"OH! You mean like the accumulator and index register!!!"

haha well at least he's learning new things.. you can't make fun of that- we all been there!

17. braincake

braincake What's a Dremel?

my friend was looking at my new gaming computer
    friend: my laptop is faster
    me: what makes you say that
    friend: i have 6gb of ram you only have 4 (i have a i5 2500k and a 470 soc he has a dual core athlon with integrated graphics)
    me: you know the processor and graphics are more important right
    friend: no more ram is the most important the guy in pcworld told me
    me: *facepalm*

mvagusta likes this.
  18. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Phahahahaha, sounds like half the customers who come in the shop I work at lol

19. Blazza181

Blazza181 SVM PLACENTA CASEI

You guys are putting me oof going into IT, if this is what I'll have to deal with. On the other hand, it sounds like a good laugh...:hehe:

20. c0sm1c

c0sm1c What's a Dremel?

haha...been there before. Saleman never no nowt! its amazing.
    They usualy leave me after about 5 minutes.