1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Just ordered my Dell u2711

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by j4mi3, 11 Oct 2011.

1. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Yes but also read a thread I started here...

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=213271

Lots of useful advice from Bit-Techers. It'll cover pretty much everything you have questions about.

2. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

ah cheers. someone posted a link in your thread telling me i had to change some stuff in the control panel not sure what it did but i just followed the instructions

i had to set adobe rgb to default or something

3. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

some pics. although you cant see alot and it looks much smaller than it really is.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Smashed iPhone and all, very nice! :D

5. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

ipod touch ;) yeah in like 3 places. it still works though

i have my galaxy s2 for my phone ;) an awesome device would recommend that.

6. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Unless you do a great deal of photo editing, no. In Adobe 1998 most colours on the web, games and movies will appear over saturated.

Use Adobe 1998 when editing photos, but switch back to sRGB when doing anything else.

Oh my.. some seriously bad advice in that thread. Do not set the AdobeRGB 1998.icc file as your default colourspace!!!

7. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

When I got my Dell I noticed the anti glare at first and said "what the hell", but after day one you do not notice it at all.

8. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

lol oh.. i have allready done this.

but the colours look better on adobe than standard

im not sure about altering the setting in windows itself. i have done it, but i didnt really notice a difference. should i get rid of it?

9. Pookeyhead

Setting Adobe RGB1998.icc will help reduce the saturated colours (so long as they are profiled), but isn't really a profile.. it's just a colourspace descriptor and is not designed to be a ICC or ICM profile, and has some serious problems when dealing with tagged sRGB images, and still doesn't really cure the problem which is caused by untagged images being expanded to fill the wider gamut colourspace.

There really isn't a suitable cure for the issue of wide gamut displays and the web, games and movies I'm afraid. The problem is that 99% of content on the web is sRGB. That in itself is not a problem if the images are tagged with a sRGB profile. When they are, a colour managed browser like Firefox or Chrome will honour the profile and display the colours correctly, but very, very few websites tag the images at all. When this is the case, the narrower gamut is just "spread" to fill the wider gamut of your screen, and hence the colours are exaggerated.

Even if you have calibrated your screen like I have, it will still show untagged sRGB images as over saturated.

One way around this is to set "sRGB Colorspace Profile.icm" as the default colourspace, like this.....

[​IMG]

...but then you are limiting everything your monitor displays to sRGB.. making the whole point of a wide gamut display redundant.

The other, and here's where you have an advantage, is use the sRGB preset mode when watching movies, browsing or playing games, and when you are in Photoshop or any other colour managed environment, you can switch it back to Adobe RGB preset mode.

These are preset factory calibrated modes. They're not fantastically accurate, but they're visually OK.

Ideally though, I would invest in a decent colorimeter and profile the screen while it is set in custom colour mode, and set the resulting monitor profile as the default windows colrspace, like this....

[​IMG]

...the calibrator software will probably do this for you anyway.

This will not cure the problem of exaggerated colours in untagged web images, games, and movies. The only way to stop that happening is by setting sRGB as your default colourspace like in the first screengrab... but as I said... you lose the benefit of wide gamut.

..anyway... I'd calibrate in custom colour mode... set the resulting profile as default workspace, and then when in a colour managed environment you will have very accurate colours. When gaming, watching movies or web browsing I would then switch the monitor into sRGB preset.

Just remember though, once calibrated, do not adjust the monitor's OSD controls at all... but switching between modes will be OK.. so long as you change nothing else.

The problem is explained quite well here....

http://www.artstorm.net/journal/2009/07/color-management-wide-gamut-dell-2408/

Basically... if you do no serious colour accurate work, there is pretty much NO advantage to using a wide gamut screen... seriously... none at all. In fact, it causes problems as described here. That doesn't mean you have bought the wrong screen, as there are very few large 2560 res panels that are not wide gamut. You just need to be aware of how to use them correctly.

Last edited: 13 Oct 2011
    GoodBytes likes this.
  10. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

The reason why Adobe looks better, is because the monitor is wide gamut one.
    Adobe RGB is just a hint saturated... so not crazy over saturated as PookeyHead says (BUT HE IS RIGHT... he does pro work, which something marginal for us, is CRAZY off for him).
    As I said, this monitor isn't for pro, and if you don't professional photo editing, Adobe RGB is fine.

For Windows side of things, as you do no pro work, but don't want pictures to look too off...
    Start > type: color > open Color Management > check "use my setting on this device" > Add > select "sRGB..." (not to be confused with scRGB), click on Close. Your good.
    Pictures everywhere and games will look very good (from a non-pro stand of view).
    They won't be looking strange, nor overly saturated.. they will be, what I like call it "tolerable off color from perfect color range", if you will.
    Custom color profile (on the monitor), is kinda close to Adobe RGB by default. You can adjust the colors there, IF a color or something is over saturated. But I don't have a problem.

WARNING: Ninja'ed by PookeyHead. Have to go... will read what he said.. but I am sure he is correct if I said crap.

11. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

im a total retard about this kind of stuff this is my first decent monitor. i wont be buying a colourimeter for now i dont think, this is a million times better than what im used to so im happy.

so yeah what you told me was a bit confusing, thanks for making the effort though. so i think im gonna stick to your simpler explanation; use srgb preset on monitor when doing general stuff, and adobe rgb when in a colour managed environment, such as photoshop?

firefox and safari are colour managed you say, would it not be better to use these browsers all the time? i am on chrome currently because it is the fastest from what i have tried

12. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

eek two conflicting opinions. this should be good.

what does changing settings in windows actually do? as i said i previously did what you just told me above but instead of setting sRGB i set adobe rgb 1998, because i was told too in a thread posted earlier. i couldnt see much difference, what was it actually doing? i mean, there is an adobe rgb on monitor but what does changing the settings in windows do

13. Pookeyhead

I would do that: Use sRGB mode for all non colour managed stuff (Games, movies, web browsing) and switch to Adobe RGB mode when in Photoshop or other colour managed applications)

It will in effect, make no damned difference what browser you use, as practically no one tags their images correctly. A colour managed browser will only show images correctly if they are tagged with the correct colour profile... hardly anyone does though :(

Stick what you suggested: sRGB mode for games, movies and web, and Adobe RGB mode for all serious colour work in Photoshop etc.

Just remember, set your Photoshop colour settings like this....

[​IMG]

[EDIT] You need to set those with NO IMAGE open... and then quit PS to save them as default settings.

That will ensure Photoshop is taking advantage of your wider gamut. Make sure the boxes are ticked, as then it will warn you if you load an image with no profile, or a profile other than AdobeRGB1998... then when that happens, select "Convert file to working RGB" and all will be well.

Setting Windows to AdobeRGB1998 will actually achieve little, as any untagged sRGB images will still look over saturated. However... a cure for this is to set sRGB as a default working space(sRGB Color Space Profile.icm), as this effectively limits output to the sRGB color space.

However... your easiest and best solution with that screen is to use sRGB mode for all games, movies and browsing, and AdobeRGB mode for all Photoshop work.

Last edited: 13 Oct 2011
  14. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

thanks will do

15. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

No conflict at all, I fully agree with PookeyHead.
    In fact, PookeyHead explained a lot better than what I tried to explain, PLUS explains to you how to setup things properly for in the moment you do color critical work.

+1 to PookeyHead (I also learned something)

16. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

some more pics after i set my old monitor up to the left for running stuff like itunes when i am using full screen programs so i dont have to switch

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Pookeyhead

Looking good :clap:

18. pete*

pete* Something witty here.

Nice, just ordered my U2711 today :)

I want to do a setup a lil like yours, use my samsung SM2232BW as a seperate monitor to do
    stuff on while using the U2711 as the main thing. However, I think i'm going to need to upgrade
    first. My 4870 (512mb) I think is going to break running just the Dell, let alone both of them.
    haha

19. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

bro i have a 4870 ;) although the 1gb version. i guess memory is important with a screen this size.

the card does struggle on maxed settings on games like crysis, but youd expect it to. but on games like fsx which i also really like, it still produces playable frame rates maxed (some may laugh at 'maxing fsx', but actually, it can be quite a good challenge if you go into custom settings, setting cloud draw distance to full, light bloom etc)

im going to upgrade when the new series come out early next year

20. elliven

elliven What's a Dremel?

GoodBytes likes this.