1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress GET A LIFE - COMPLETED

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by The_Gnu, 17 Nov 2010.

1. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Yeah that's a good point, I actually don't think that there is that many mods out there that is easy upgradeable. It's more fun to build a new :)

I just hope the hardware have survived the countless test mounts. I should probably to a testrun to make shure it still works.

Thanks a lot:thumb:

Thanks Angel :) That was very encouraging words from a big modder like you and I really apreciate it. It's always nice to get this kind of feedback that keeps the modding spirit going:thumb: Reps for you my friend

Thank you very much Watchtown. Inspiring others is one of my goals so its nice to hear that I do

towelie likes this.
  2. Autti

Autti What's a Dremel?

USB3 would be annoying as it has 9 wires instead of 4, making such tight spaces like this a headache to work with. Certainly do-able though with Gnu's skills.

3. towelie

towelie How do I Internet!!

So impressed with this build it has literally blown my mind. You sir a True craftsman

Cannot wait to see the end result.

4. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Thanks..:thumb: Then Im glad I wont use USB3 since there isn't too much space left in this case for som extra cables.

Oh my.. didn't expect towelie to read my log. Thank you very much:thumb:

5. craig - toyoracer

craig - toyoracer Minimodder

Love it. Your detailed planning and precision machining results in perfect connectors. :)

Very well done work. :clap:

6. Vo0Ds

Vo0Ds Fake potato

I've just invested several hours of my day reading the log from the beginning, 26 pages in and getting close to the end I guess! Can't wait to see some colour on this work of art; you sir are an artist and a craftsman, bloody well done.

7. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Thanks a lot craig:thumb:

wow, you read through it all. Thank you very much for showing that much interest and I hope youll stay tuned and that you will like the end aswell. Not much left now :)

Thanks yet again:thumb:

8. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

OHHH

MA

GAWD!!!!

:rock:

9. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

TH

AAANKS!!

:thumb:

Time for another update.
    How to connect the USB ports have long been an issue I havn't been shure how to solve since there isn't that much space left down by the foot. And I also want the cablemanagement to be as tidy as I can get it, but small spaces and nice cablemanagement dosn't go hand in hand too often. Anyway I decided to fabricate my own usb cable using my all time favorite, black hot glue :dremel:

There is quite a lot of pictures, but the reason for that is to try to explain the whole process of how it was done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Since I still don't own a hot air gun I had to go "el romantico" style
    [​IMG]

Shaping the glue while still hot with some angle brackets. To make shure the glue didn't stick to the aluplates, I prepped them with a very thin layer of cooking oil. If you got greasy fingers it will probably do just as good.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some finetuning of the holder.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is how the powerconnector was from the start. It was way to stiff so I removed it from the mainboard. I removed the heatshrink and replaced the cables with some softer black ones to match the rest of the cables. Desoldering those cables from the mainboard was a pain in the ass. Must have been some special solder cause it took a lot of heat and a long time. At one point I was shure the copper traces were goin to come off, but I managed to save them in time.
    [​IMG]

New cables in place
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ther reason the cable is so.. vobbly in the middle is because It need to be bent at a slight angle to match the connector on the mainboard. And since it's a flat cable in a vertical possition (standing up) Its impossible to get a nice bend.
    [​IMG]

Yet some more modification of the foot. Added a slot for the cable.
    [​IMG]

I deliberatly made the slot a little smaller than the cable to allow the flex in the cable to hold it in place.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I still need to do something about the routing of the power cables, because they are in the way of some of the other cables as they are now.
    [​IMG]

And as A finalt note.
    I've encountered a major issue with the alu Alloy im using in the front squares. It's 6082 aluminium, and when I bought it a long time ago I asked the supplier if it was good for machining and anodizing. Yes they said and I was happy with that.

It just realised the other day when reading some alloy specifications that alloy 6082 is ok for "anodizing" but not recomended for "decorative anodizing". :wallbash: The thing is that there is a risk of a spotty surface because of the extra substances added to make it mor suitable for machining. From now on I will always buy 6063 alloy (its good for anodizing and has a sligthly better thermal conductivity)

I've not yet talked to my anodizer about this but hope he have some tips on how I can make it Less vissible. Im hoping that maybe a more heavy brushed surface can hide some of it.

This is the spotty surface im afraid I might get:
    [​IMG]
    Some think it looks good but It's not what I intended.

So is there anyone of you guys out there that have experience on anodizing 6082? Any tips?

Last edited: 28 Oct 2011
    peteski, Nutman and PureSilver like this.
  10. Gtek

Gtek Doesn't raise the bar; he IS the bar.

:D you must enjoy building it so much... I do, just watching it :D:thumb:

11. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

You bet I do...:D
    And thanks for watching

12. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

More sweet crazy cable work :jawdrop::D:thumb:.

13. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

I... I have no words. +rep!

14. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

+rep for the hot-glued USB connector. It's simply way too cool. Period.

15. craig - toyoracer

craig - toyoracer Minimodder

Just sweet. :)

Good luck with the anodizing, different alloys will be tougher to get even finish. Darn it.

16. peteski

peteski long live the pc

man your skills amaze me they really do +rep to you mate and keep up the good work :rock::rock::rock:

17. Livio

Livio What's a Dremel?

Amazing precise job!

I am sure there is some way to apply some kind of layer on the ally before the final anodizing.

18. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Amazed as I can be... look at that DIY usb cable!!!!! woooooosssssshhhhh :jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:
    Like the candle pic btw, very romantic... now we´re talking passionate :D

19. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Freaking brilliant, I love it:)

20. jokkos

jokkos too busy to mod *sigh*

oh boy...

that right angled usb connector is just... Incredible.

I don't know how you do it. It's just all so amazing. Me: jealous. You: rock. :rock: