1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning The GuilleAcoustic design thread

Discussion in 'Modding' started by GuilleAcoustic, 23 Mar 2011.

1. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Thanks for the advise about the 2105. This is a PC aimed at professionnal coding, but the higher igp might help with dual screens.

Seams like you're an ITX addict, so am I :thumb:.

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Less fan, more heat pipe and heat sink. :D It's perfect for it!

3. GuilleAcoustic

A little metaversa 2.0 would be perfect on my desk at work :p

EDIT : OMG, I just discovered that the Intel DH61AG board has both a eVD and a LVDS connectors

[​IMG]

Do you see what I'm thinking about ? (psssss, I'd love a 7" flipup LCD fitted inside a slim tray under the chassis, would be nice for monitoring/remote unix console) ... kinda like that :

[​IMG]

Last edited: 13 Oct 2011
  4. GuilleAcoustic

Ok guys,

here is a small update concerning the VLDS screen. I found a nice device with google (7" capacitive 800x480 TFT screen), so I did play a little with sketchup during my break and here is the result :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The overall size of the chassis remains unchanged. The flipup screen is located under the mobo, and luckily there's enough space to fit a SSD. I didn't have my SU files at work, so I made a quick one just for testing purpose.

Hope you like the idea. Next step : the opening mechanism :dremel:.

EDIT : This flipup screen will have multiple use (display for a USB oscilloscope, shortcut to launch softwares, monitoring, remote shell console, debuger, media controller, etc.)

Stay tuned.

5. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Really nice idea with the flip-up screen :thumb:

Also, the board is very interesting as it has a built-in PSU just like my Zotac IONITX A-E. And with the two mini PCIe-ports you can have WLAN and a SSD onboard and use a normal 2.5" HDD for storage. €115 isn't even expensive for that board I'd say.

Oh... and with the 4x PCIe-slot, I'd even be able to throw a TV-card into the mix...

Damn now I'm starting to think about a new all-in-one HTPC with touchscreen myself :duh:

6. GuilleAcoustic

Thanks.

This is coming closer and closer to my HTPC design :D. This could make a perfect devel studio I could move everywhere. Plus the touch screen would be a nice addition for electronic play time :lol:.

I damn know this feeling. This happens to me each time I read a thread on this forum :wallbash:

7. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Intel® DH61AG = €112
    Intel® Core™ i3-2105 = €115
    Kingston HyperX SO-DIMM 4 GB DDR3-1333 Kit = €42
    Intel® 310series mSATA SSD 40 GB = €80
    TP-LINK TL-WN861N (300 Mbps mSATA WLAN half-height) = €14
    Hauppauge WinTV HVR-5500 = €138
    open frame 8.0" (16:9) TFT = €300

All in all = €800 for the hardware plus maybe another €100 for the case.

Can't say that this isn't tempting :worried:

8. GuilleAcoustic

I'd really like to see a design contest around the ITX form factor ... Bill, Nexxo, Combatus pssss pssss

9. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

/signed :rock:

10. GuilleAcoustic

I think I'll take a look at the RC spare parts store to buy some gears and high torque stepper motor this week-end. Time to play with my ol' mecano boxes :D

11. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

If I can find a sponsor (will check with Bill in a bit) I may run another case design contest.. hell if people are happy with a socket AM2+ Abit board as a prize I could run one now! Aurora Design Studio sponsored :D And yes I will compete this time. ITX designs only though!

Guille - you go through more case designs than I do!

12. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

I was thinking about sponsoring a contest myself aswell, but then I coulcn't compete in it myself :sigh:

You don't wanna know how many SU-stuff I've got lying around... Didn't post it though as I'm one of those not posting stuff before I can't really build it too :geek:

13. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

You can compete - its a community decided winner :)

14. GuilleAcoustic

@Confusis :

AM2+ .... there's always something to build around every bit of hardware .... retro gaming arcade cabinet, DIY video projector with built-in PC, file/web server, etc.

Why not a contest around this Abit AM2+ board, the best concept/way-to-use-it win the board :thumb: :lol:

@JRS77 :

I agree with you with posting only ready to build stuff. I do the exact opposite, I like to design even if it is not 100% ready or won't even be built. I do that to kill time and release the pressure from my job. I post everything here in case it could give some idea to other members.

By the way, I wanted to say something to all the BT members who follow this thread. My designs are here so that you can use it. Just drop me a message :). I received several messages asking me permission to build some designs of mines ... don't be shy, feel free to use them, just let me know and open a thread in the project logs :thumb:.

The only thing I demand : non commercial use only ... :D

EDIT : While I'm thinking about it, I found a nice french website to buy laptop replacement screen

http://www.ecrans-direct.fr/accueil.shtml

They are not very expensive. I'm looking at this lovely Toshiba/Matsushita 8" 1600x768 screen

http://www.ecrans-direct.fr/Toshiba_Matsushita--LT080EE04000--8.0-uwxga--ecran-portable.shtml

Last edited: 14 Oct 2011
  15. GuilleAcoustic

Hi guys,

I just found a cool stuff : http://usb.brando.com/rii-mini-i6-wireless-mini-keyboard-with-ir-remote_p02470c034d015.html

They make really cool small sized USB/wireless keybord. This could be a nice addition and could be hidden somewhere and serve as a remote for HTPC use or nomad keyboard + touchpad for engineering use (like a lab computer/oscilloscope) when no extern screen available.

Thus this little box will include both a 8" 1600x768 in-dash + flip-up screen and a USB/wireless keyboard+touchepad / remote. With only a single powercord and no external device, you'll have a fully working computer (OK, laptop do the same with bigger screen and keyboard and have a battery .... but let's be honest .... it's far less cool :D).

16. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

17. GuilleAcoustic

Nice product and not very expensive.

I did work on the in-dash flip-up mechanism today. Here is the solution I found (probably the easier for me to build). It basically relies on a fix rail :

[​IMG]

and here is a simulation of the motion :

[​IMG]

I'll make an animated render to show it. What do you think of it ?

18. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

Motorized? Looks like it could work - Just trying to think if the design could be 'slimmed down' to suit w/ the SFF side of things?

19. GuilleAcoustic

Yup, it'll be motorized. I found several high-torque slim line stepper motors (aimed at robotics). They are 12V power ... what a luck :D.

Now the big optimize-everything time is coming. I'm right now modeling all this things under Maya and will play with reactor to have REAL physic simulation.

I'm trying to find a way to slow the motion when the lcd is almost opened/closed.

If someone have any ideas (ultrawave sensor, magnetic sensor, etc) ...

20. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

maybe a microswitch + relay so the circuit gets thrown over to a circuit that uses a resistor or whatnot in it for slower movement. keeps you from having to program the speed decrease into the motor control chip?