1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News First ultrabook on sale

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 14 Oct 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. mongpong

mongpong What's a Dremel?

It certainly looks the business. Always liked ASUS's styling.

3. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Wouldn't buy an ultrabook, if it's not drastically cheaper then the MBA.

When using the same hardware, MacOS X is having the advantage over Win7 due to the OS and hardware being heavily optimized on Apple-devices and that easily covers the $100 expense on the Macbook Air.

4. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

A shiny shiny thing that anyone can use without restrictions and compatible with everything kinda makes things easy. I may seriously take a look at this.

5. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Can't agree with that jrs77. Try installing some of the most popular software used in any industry and more than likely, there isn't a Mac version.

6. Matticus

Matticus ...

Did you last use a Mac 10 years ago? Almost everything I use has a Mac version. The only exception being Visual Studio and sql management studio, but its hardly surprising that MS don't release these for Mac being that they use and create the .net framework. Could always use MonoDevelop if you really wanted to .net on a mac.

The Asus is a very nice looking machine and I would seriously consider it if I was in the market for an Ultrabook, but I can't see the resale value being close to that of an MBA, which is always worth considering. Higher initial cost can be easily offset by resale value so the total cost of ownership can sometimes be lower.

7. Tattysnuc

Tattysnuc Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

If you want a MBA, buy one. If you need Windows on it, run a VM, or dual boot. If you want a copy of an MBA, then buy this, but it needs to be priced competitively for the PC MArket - It ISNT an MBA. Do people seriously think people will pay MBA prices for PC hardware, without the customer asurance levels that Apple Offer?

There's a place in the market for this, but it needs to be priced right, and pricing it around the MBA price just makes me think that the MBA is a better buy.

8. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

^^ If you don't consider the hardware, then yes. Because storage at 64 (even 128) and RAM at 2GB is just too low.

9. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

I would love an ultra book like this or the MBA, IF it had the nipple mouse. Why oh why do manufacturers disregard this epic pointing device? It's more precise than a touchpad, takes up less space, is less likely to **** up, can be used with damp fingers and most of all it isn't brushed accidentally when writing.

Only Lenovo and HP hear my cries :(

10. stotea

stotea What's a Dremel?

Man, 11" screen... how do people use these things? I can barely tolerate my 15" laptop screen!

11. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

I wouldn't mind buying it, my T8300, HD Mobility 2600 is asking for a replacement. But before I'd buy this thing I would like to know the brand of the SSD, if it's Intel I'll buy, other brands... not so much...

12. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

Most likely it'll be something from Samsung or Intel, since manufacturers prefer them for reliability reasons. You won't see any consumer computer maker putting a Sandforce-based drive in their products (yet).

13. echeb

echeb What's a Dremel?

That price better be just introductory, there's no way they are going to shift a half decent amount at $1k especially when the previously mentioned resale value is added in. Give me a price in £, in 3 months down the line when there's competition from Dell, Lenovo and the like and I might reconsider but I'm predicting a flop numbers wise.

Shame because I think its quite a good idea.

Ps. I love it when my favourite hardware review site links to my favourite international tech news site. :)

Last edited: 14 Oct 2011
  14. PCBuilderSven

PCBuilderSven Minimodder

What customer assurance levels? The ones saying that it's going to be completely crap?

Well, X Terminal (The Mac terminal just sucks - eventhough they baisicly just copied Linux they couldn't resist screwing it up) and (not that I'd recommened it on an ultrabook) baisicly every game in existance.

15. The_EXorcist

The_EXorcist Possibly Australian

Yeah...Mac...Value for money... dont think they ever did that.

16. echeb

echeb What's a Dremel?

Come on, they've got Steam so credit where credits due.

I hate apple as much as the next guy who'c currently downloading Ubuntu 11.10 X64 but do we have to have a flame war every time one of their products or services are mentioned?

17. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Who gives a f*** about "on standby" how does it compare fully loaded? Personally windows appeals over the macbook simply for light gaming and tbh I was dreading the thought that alienware had the best gaming notebook outthere *shutter*

18. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

This is a pretty major consideration, imo. I question whether having a more streamlined OS can overcome the performance advantages of these specs. I'd also like to point out that dual booting isn't an option on a stock 11" MBA as you're going to be hard pressed to fit two operating systems on a 64GB hard drive.

It'd probably be going too far to say the Zenbook is the "better" choice but it's safe to say that it's a good option for a lot of user's needs.

Not entirely, they have SteamPlay which, at least for the time being, falls far short of the full Steam library. There's also some difference in the quality of OpenGL's rendering compared to DirectX. However, good luck doing much gaming on either machine in the first place.

This part confused me as well. Who is actually going to leave their notebook in standby for longer than a week straight without simply plugging it into a charger or turning it off? What would really push my decision between the two is how the operating battery life compares to the specs. If the MBA can last for significantly longer like it does in standby it might gets some points back.

19. leslie

leslie Just me!

I like the look, the shape and the size, I won't like the keyboard.
    WHY is it so expensive though? Seriously!

All the time you hear of the so called Mac tax, and yet when the industry tries to beat Apple at their own game on an Apple original design, they can't beat them. Get with it people!

BTW, the Toshiba 13in looks a bit better spec-wise than this Asus model for the same or similar price.
    http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news...-intels-ultrabook-quest-with-13-inch-z830.ars

Stop using a notebook as a desktop, especially ultra portables, where the focus is on.... Portability.
    I carry a 13in with me to every jobsite, and I would prefer an 11 or 12 due to weight and size.

While I agree, it's not what it was 10 years ago, it's not what you claim either.

The real estate industry in the U.S. is almost entirely web based today, only only last year did they finally get anything other than Internet Exploder to work on it. It's not just that industry either, I work with several, and about half have Windows or I.E. specific items they need. It's not many, but it only takes one to throw a wrench in the works.

I also still regularly see printers with no actual Mac support, or they only work with very specific versions, you can often get them working, but it's a hack job. The last Mac brought in took me about an hour to finally get the office's laser printer to work on it. I also see a lot of Bluetooth adapters and wireless cards that have no Mac support either.

I like Mac, but you can't tell me they enjoy the same level of support, it's not even close. Close doesn't cut it when you have to tell the owner that their $20k printer or the website that they use day in, day out, won't work with their shiny new Mac.

Last edited: 14 Oct 2011
  20. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

Tags: Add Tags