1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware AMD FX-8150 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 12 Oct 2011.

1. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Look at power consumption under load, fold on something else.

2. Woollster00

Woollster00 What's a Dremel?

This is the end for amd they just can't compete next 5 years we wont see a consumer cpu division from amd.

3. Dwarfer

Dwarfer What's a Dremel?

4. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

The APU (rather than CPU) version of Bulldozer is due out next year. There's no word yet on whether it'll use FM1 sockets like Llano, or whether there'll be a new socket for it. It won't be AM3+ though.

5. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

Fingers Crossed. They only thing is Ivy Bridge will be here by then and Intel will have extended their lead even further. I'd like to think Piledriver could catch up, but that would probably be optimistic to the point of foolishness.

6. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

I have a funny feeling AMD knew it wasn't right but after so many delays they had to just let it go as it is. They may well be pinning their hopes on Pile driver, which they have a bit of time to play with and in doing so they might be able to get it right this time. It may then be the case that we see Bulldozer rev.2 hit the shelves. It's a brand new architecture and who knows in time it might prove to be the right way to go forward.

I've been hunting about for reviews on the 6 core and from the few bits I've found it's just the same as the 8 core but with 25% less performance across all the bench marks.

7. Dwarfer

Dwarfer What's a Dremel?

8. Rustypouch

Rustypouch What's a Dremel?

Can't see me hanging about waiting on AMD to tinker with Bulldozer. Like many people, I had pinned my hopes on AMD being able to pull this one out of the bag, but they haven't. It looks like I will be making an Intel rig for the first time ever.

9. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

10. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

"Adam Kozak is a product marketing manager at AMD. His postings are his own opinions and may not represent AMD’s positions, strategies or opinions. Links to third party sites, and references to third party trademarks, are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, AMD is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third party endorsement of AMD or any of its products is implied."

Couldn't stop myself from having a little chuckle at that part.

11. faugusztin

LOL, AMD must be joking. FX-8120 = 197€. i5-2500K = 199€. Please, tell me AMD what are you smoking, it must be some good stuff.

12. S1W1

S1W1 Minimodder

I definetly agree with you, Intel will stil offer good products at a fair price- afterall they still have to strike a balance between supply and demand in terms of price if they want to maximise profit (they can't just hike prices up or people just won't buy), but I still can't help but feel that close competition would always push them to make the product that little bit more competetive.

13. msroadkill612

msroadkill612 What's a Dremel?

This does seem sad.. AMD have a killer edge in ATI over intel & some killer products like brazos & llano - in these categories - they can make intel dance to their tune for once, even at higher nm than intel.

but they had to compete in the big game of servers & top end - macho jocks mentality.

They cant win in this market - heat for one thing. Its a big issue for server farms. Intel willl always be a node in front.

at least we know why dirk got the bullet - suspect he was handed a poison chalice tho - to much had been spent already to walk away.

all the big die chips seem to be fails. nvidea was a perfect warning.

They should focus on the ordinary joe & GPU market, & forget the fancy schmancy CPU market. These CPUs are certainly adequate for 90% of joes. They got lucky a few times at the big end but thats all.

The logic is because vw make bughatti - the sell more golfs - BS.

Conversely, intel is on the backfoot in graphics, which most do care about - its still a nice, lucrative business (if not being dragged down by keep up server chips).

I hope they sell some servers, but charity from a few fanboys aint gonna do it in retail.

I guess its a shot to nothing - money has been invested anyhoo - may as well - but sounds they cruelled a lot of loyal customers via overhype (pre purchases am3+ mobos & false expectations) - v bad business.

as to bottom line, nothing new - this category is a loser for them now anyway methinks.

They have proved the old rule u dont do a tick & a tock at once also. The success of Llano & brazos supports this also.

I dont think they bet the company on it, but they lost a lotta unpaid salesmen for their products - shame.

AMD claim to have philosophy of reducing goals but having a marketable product for the various seasonal buying surges like xmas - if true - we should have been suspicious delays on bulldozer - they clearly had fundamental problems w/ it.

14. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

I suppose what's more annoying to my mind is that m-atx boards for the AM3+ platform aren't going to get made. So even those of us crazy enough to still buy bulldozer (Me) won't have the ability to cram it into a tiny case and haul it around as a Lan rig.

15. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

I am massively gutted this morning, just read the review. I spent this week drooling over what would effectively be a £370 (after a vat return) upgrade for me, (FX-8150, Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 and 16GB corsair vengeance).

Dreaming it would be an awesome CAD workstation, mostly for rendering. So it would seem a Phenom 1100T is still the real AMD king.

I've got rather sick of Intel and their changing of socket at every new CPU release, plus the chipset bug and errors its just taking the piss for too long. 1366, 1156 or 1155, at least AMD stuck with AM3 for bulldozer.

16. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Why stick with a socket when there no competition? It means more sales at the end of the day.

They could drive prices higher due to what is becoming more of a monopoly but they haven't so we cant fault them for that.

17. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

not as many sales really, not like the days of 775, the P35 chipset was truly universal supporting Pentium D's, the E-series and Q series with multiple releases.

More people are likely to upgrade a CPU, like a jump from a E6600 to a Q6600, than go out and buy a new motherboard as well, which ultimately increases the upgrade price by ~£100

Just because AMD aren't competitive doesn't mean you have to be a dick to your customers, look at all the people who jumped on the 1366 socket, only to have the platform canned by intel and they only kept the brand i7.

18. chrismarkham1982

chrismarkham1982 Multimodder

Sometimes improvement needs changes, intel have changed often and often improved, AMD on the other have hardly changed at all and barely improved either.
    Therein lies the reason why intel has changed sockets often.

19. warejon9

warejon9 What's a Dremel?

Found something interesting just surfing the web, i didn't discover it either thought i would share. As most review kits used crosshair V, GTX 580 they all have relatively similar results, however hardware heaven used as Asrock board, and a sapphire 6970, and it showed more favourable results.

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/revie...cessor-vs-core-i7-2600k-review-3dmark-11.html

compared to

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-8150-zambezi-bulldozer-990fx,3043-13.html

I know they are using different 3Dmark settings but still interesting?

Also rage 3D used a different setup and did even better

http://www.rage3d.com/reviews/cpu/amd_fx_8150/index.php?p=9

20. faugusztin

Not really. HD6950 was probably not CPU limited, GTX580 could have been.

Tags: Add Tags