1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Epic PC Micron mATX - First Few Completed! 7th Nov

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Djayness, 15 Oct 2011.

1. HandMadeAndroid

HandMadeAndroid That's handy.

As much as I like your work $500AU/$515US/£325 for a mATX case is a load of money. I know every company has to start somewhere; however entering an established market and introducing a product at almost three times the price of an equivalent top of the range case from someone like Silverstone or LianLi seems a little excessive.

2. Snubbs

Snubbs CustomPC Migration victim....

One pays a premium for quality, style and exclusivity. How expensive is a Bugatti Veyron when compared to a Nissan GTR? Yes, they essentially do the same job, but the Veyron is in a completely different league. (and has a very limited production)

3. HandMadeAndroid

Perhaps, but I'm not seeing that here.

4. RedManc

RedManc What's a Dremel?

I think the prototype looks great,
    the gloss finish is something you don't see much of and provided its not sold to a hardware hotswapper with energy drink stained finger tips then this would make a great statement on many desks.

It would be nice to see a clean and simple set-up inside the case to give an idea of how it would looks but not always necessary :)

please do keep the prototypes coming and if you decided not to put them into production then you'll just have to mod them some more :)

5. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

It's PSU room is ATX form factor, you can fit the largest ATX PSU in the case without any problems because it is designed to standards. I have also designed it for industries who laugh at standards such as the graphics card industry (who currently break the max PCI power draw and PCI card length standards). The case can fit a graphics card 350mm long, such a monster does not exist...yet.

Yay, troll harder please.

The cost is reflective of the material used and the actual time it takes to build. I am in no way trying to compete with the standard cases on the market and it doesn't bother me in the slightest if not a single person orders this case (but as it stands, there are 5 pre-orders for it already).

It's still in prototype stage and the version you are seeing at current is vastly different to what will launch. In reality, I do this as a hobby and each bit of work I do is hand polished and assembled.

If you can't see the value in that then don't consider buying it, why bother getting your troll on for a product you don't want? *yawn*

+1

The final product will be a matte brushed finish as I have found it absolutely rocks at not attracting fingerprints!

6. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Sneak peak :)

7. KoSoVaR^

KoSoVaR^ Professional Sleever & Modder

this is just great !

8. KiiYzOo

KiiYzOo What's a Dremel?

please tell me how you attach the acrylic together, I want to make my own acrylic case :p

9. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Weldon 3 and a very fine paint brush :)

10. KiiYzOo

KiiYzOo What's a Dremel?

thought it may have been some type of acrylic glue :p thanks, hmmm an orange acrylic small watercooling case? :p

11. HandMadeAndroid

Offering a subjective opinion does not make someone a troll. Likewise calling someone a troll because you don't like their opinion is not a good counter argument. I'm a discerning purchaser of computer parts and have bought many cases in my time. This forum is for scratch builds and modding. Once you start to advertise products for sale under an all be it new brand, people will provide feedback. So seeing as you're now marketing your products in a free modding forum on the internet ill say what I like.

12. microsoftPerson

microsoftPerson What's a Dremel?

I think you're an intelligent person and have a fair argument. On the other hand, I think people come here to admire talent, provide inspiration, and showcase the product of modding. This thread, along with others this man has authored, provide just that. Either way, it seems there is sufficient demand to keep his business afloat and he certainly has a nice workshop.

Also, I've never really considered his posts marketing-focused, at all. Just my 2 cents.

In other news, I think the case is very cool and it is evident that some of the work is particularly labor intensive.

13. Autti

Autti What's a Dremel?

leave Epic alone. He is just trying to make money of doing something he really enjoys and we all enjoy it too, thats why we are here.

$500 when put into comparison isn't expensive anyway. $200 is on materials. it would take at least 20 hours to design and completely build and at $20 an hour thats $400. Not to mention paying for the CNC, tools and everything else. It's not like he is making huge amounts of money here.

14. HandMadeAndroid

Hey you know you're right, I've always liked his work, and read his logs. It's refreshing to see people making stuff and applying a bit of craft in a day of mass produced disposable rubbish. I don't know what came over me, I was probably having a bad day and overly concerned with the comparative prices of micro atx cases. I've generally been in a crap mood these last couple of weeks as I bust my ear drum and lost my hearing. Im feeling a bit more shiny now and full of positive vibes. :clap:

15. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

The amazing things that happen on the internet :) BTW I bought several 100's of kg's of Acrylic sheet to get a better price and have been able to reduce the cost of the case to 350AUD.

Also got Noiseblocker and Demciflex in on the act so check out the new video!

16. KoSoVaR^

KoSoVaR^ Professional Sleever & Modder

I want candy....nananananaa! I want caaandyy...nanananaaanaaa! Yeah you all know that song...i want some of those things ^^

Do you have any pictures how the case looks like right now ?

17. Nocturin

Nocturin What's a Dremel?

Hmmm? 350 you say?

I've never thought about spending so much on a case, but yours tickles my fancy. It's a shame that the shipping over the pond would put it back out of my range :(.

Le sigh, I'll just has to enjoy the epicness from my desktop till I become epic money man.

Keep on keepin on!

18. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

After taking a look at the store page the ultimate pack comes with - 1 * 240mm Internal Fan Mounting Kit

Where does the 240mm fan mounting kit go in the case? Is this for a 240mm rad?!

How does this work? Maybe I'm just being simple :) but where is the air drawn from ?! the 140 intake at the bottom?!?!

Or will additional 240mm fan/grill be cut into the front of the case?

As you mention you can fit two full length cards in this case.. I'd like to watercool my rig if I went with this....

Please advise...

Apologies If I'm being dumb.

Last edited: 20 Oct 2011
  19. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

(I tried to watch the sneak peak video but it's not there anymore!)

20. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Hi Imersa, I have replied to your email :)