1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Can the news only ever be bad!?

Discussion in 'General' started by mars-bar-man, 17 Oct 2011.

1. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Yes, it's the Sun, but it's the only paper that covered this as far as I'm aware.

Well, I attend Portsmouth uni, I was out last night (the one mentioned in the article), was I pissing against a wall, chundering into a mates hair, and falling over? No. and nor were the other 1700 odd students who had a good night. Just a few had a few too many.

Some one said that this shouldn't be allowed because of the non-students who'd like to go for a drink.. Erm, okay, there's 2 other areas very close which they'll all know about (Gunwarf Quays and Albert Rd). Our Carnage is held on a Sunday night, when 99% of people will be working Monday, so wouldn't be out until 2am drinking.

This quote, right here is what is causing the vandalism. The bloody teenagers that are walking around at 1am swearing and damaging property. Yet, it's easier to blame the students than it is your parenting skills.

Really? How about the fact I don't see the money that goes towards my tuition, that goes from the government to the uni. I get grants and loans, and that's based on household income. Not how much my fees are.

Oh, and one more thing, sorry about having themed nights out. From now on we'll stay indoors wearing chastity belts.

/rant

I would post all this up on the Sun's website, but I don't want to argue with stupid.

2. Fishlock

Fishlock .o0o.

Ah, how the media have successfully reeled you in. You don't seriously sit there getting all worked up over what newspapers report, do you?

Also, you made the best point in your first line. It's the only newspaper to have covered it, and it didn't even make the physical paper.

Q _ Q

3. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Not when it's the Sun.

But seeing as I was there, and they're making it out to be far worse. Let's take those 5 or so photos have put up of people being states. And then compare it to the 1000's that are of people having a good time and and aren't hanging over a bin.

What it does do is annoy me when this sort of article then turns everyone against 'us'. That's what bugs me. I couldn't give a damn about the reporting, what I do give a damn about is people's opinions of us as a whole.

Meh, should have expected some smart ass comment anyway :/

4. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

Isn't this what The Sun's core readership do every week

5. BenK

BenK Minimodder

Sounds like fun

6. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Pretty much.

Oh, very much so.

7. Fishlock

Fishlock .o0o.

My response was in no way 'smart ass'.

Try and find me an article in a paper that reveals all of the facts about the job that they are reporting. Let's try:

Some people get drunk in Portsmouth, however the majority have a good, sensible time

Wow, that will make some good reading. See my point?

8. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Apologies for the smart-ass bit. Pretty tired atm :/

True, label the heading what you want. But how about we get another view point? 2 of my mates were actually interviewed by the journalists. Did any of their thoughts make it into the article? No.

There just seems to be a constant smear campaign against students atm.

9. Fishlock

Fishlock .o0o.

I honestly know what your saying. I'm in the Police and we get bad press on an almost daily basis. Fortunately the majority see it as ********, however there will always be a minority that simply tar us with the same brush.

The riots honestly didn't do students any favours. And you're absolutely right in that it's the scrot bag chavs that hang around trying to cause you trouble that actually do the damage, but unfortunately you all fit into the same age category, and with discrimination being as it is in this country, a lot of people will see you as one.

10. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

This reminds me of the Martin Johnson quote: "Rugby players drink beer. *shock*horror*"

Students drink. Some drink a little too much sometimes. Everyone has done it. Deal with it.

They are only doing it to sell papers, you should know that by now.

11. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

Write to The Sun's editor if you feel the article sufficiently misrepresented what happened that night...

12. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

I went through two majors and a minor in college without ever going to a party and I've never tasted alcohol. Please don't lump everyone in together.

13. Yeoo

Yeoo Minimodder

LOL! 6 pictures down thier is a bunch of girls, girl on left is my friend Chelsea... well she is actually my cousins mums cousin also. Gonna go LOL at her

14. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

I just heard something on the radio about world leading research being conducted at Bournemouth uni.
    So no, the news does report positive stuff.

15. Fishlock

Fishlock .o0o.

That's really interesting, thanks for letting us know.

16. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Ah, journalism...

1: Build 'em up
    2: Profit!
    3: Smack 'em down
    4: Profit!
    5: Go to 1

17. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

You mean one of these:

[​IMG]

18. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Actually, while that photo's here. Girls; why you go sideways? It's odd!

19. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Don't knock it till you've tried it ;)

20. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Well, it does improve the odds of getting some side-boob action going...