1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Proposal to up UK motorway speed limit to 80Mph

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Xye, 29 Sep 2011.

?

Allow speed limit to be raised

1. For

153 vote(s)
    78.5%
  2. Against

30 vote(s)
    15.4%
  3. Abstain

12 vote(s)
    6.2%
  1. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

supermonkey knows about the fleece johnson.. like let's say there's a brown car to the left of you and you have to merge

the fleece johnson is forcing your way in by practically ramming it full speed even though he has signaled you to wait and merge in the easy way..

and usually after you do it say- I'm a warrior!

2. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

This bugs me so much. Not just motorways, but all 2, 3 and 4 lane roads. People just don't understand that if you are not overtaking anything, you should be in lane 1 regardless of speed. Why is this so difficult for some people?

Raising the limit to 80 will not stop this, so you'll still get people in lanes 1, 2 and 3 doing 79mph, leaving only 1 lane for everyone to overtake.

Congestion will not be eased by raising limits. Most congestion is caused by poor driving planning anyway. It's when people just cruise without looking far enough ahead, and have to slam brakes on at the last minutes. This causes a shock wave effect right back down the road. This has been scientifically proven to cause tailbacks.

Another thing is people slowing down on the opposite side to accidents to have a good look.. the sick ****s. That should be 6 point offence in my mind.

I still voted for it though. It will do nothing for congestion, but on days where it's clear traffic, people who know how to drive well WILL get to where they are going faster. I doubt it will have the effect on safety some of the doomsayers reckon. After all, 70 or 80... still a recipe for death either way if you drive dangerously

3. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I voted yes, just because the 65MPH speed limit in the US is ludicrous. That and people who insist on driving utterly slow for no reason at all. It's stupid for one.

That and unsafe at any speeds really says it all.

4. Xir

Xir Modder

I did notice lane merging in the London area is....slightly aggressive. :D
    A woman with a kid in the back and a phone in one hand actually tried to push my 3.7tonnes out of the way with a mini...

5. Black Tiger

Black Tiger Chineapple Punks

Idont think it matters to the average road user, people do what speeds they are comfortable with, but when it comes to lorries then its a completely different story altogether, i dont think large lorries should be allowed to do 80

6. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

im fine with the speed limit at 80 i tend to drive between 70-80 anyway.

I hate slow drivers though that do under 70 and find it perfectly reasonable to overtake a truck doing 60mph without increasing their speed !!!!

having a truck in the left lane and a driver doing 61mph in the middle causes a massive backlog EVERY FRIGGIN DAY. (sorry i see it all the time on the M1)

Slow drivers also seem to think its fine to enter the motorway at 40-50mph then speed up a bit. The ON-RAMP is for getting up to speed (70mph) so you enter at the same speed as the existing traffic and not force people to brake because your not ready to go that fast.!!!!

Pet hate though are people who drive on your arse usually fast drivers to be fair that must go faster and overtake anything in their path. I see at around 1-3 accident every week on my journey with someone in someone bumper.

7. knarF

knarF Noob

Yeah, because after all speeding is the same as destroying someone's business for either fun or my own gain :rolleyes:
    I've never crashed (except once, and i was only doing about 20mph), i've never seen anyone crash, if i crash at 80mph i'm just as likely to die or kill someone as i am at 70mph.

One thing that does really annoy me about speeding is the way that the police handle it. They chase people because they claim of the dangers of speeding, what makes it so safe for them to do the same thing?

Last edited: 10 Oct 2011
  8. Threefiguremini

Threefiguremini What's a Dremel?

Just because you haven't crashed yet doesn't mean you never will, how long have you been driving for and never seen a crash? I see them on my commute most weeks.

I you're driving at 80 it's going to take you longer to stop than if you drive at 70, hence you may not crash at all.

The police take advanced driving courses to learn how to drive safely at speed. They also have reflective cars with flashing lights and sirens to let people know they are there.

:wallbash:

9. Fishlock

Fishlock .o0o.

We are trained to do so, and law gives us an exemption. I'm pretty sure if you were put in the situation where you needed the Police urgently you'll be bloody glad that we turned up quickly on blue lights.

Also, the Police don't go around 'claiming of the dangers of speeding' we talk from first hand experience. It wasn't to long ago that I went to a crash where a woman doing around 50mph in a 30mph went straight into the back of a parked lorry. She died, along with her two month old daughter that we found underneath the front seats. We also had to go and tell Dad.

10. SirFur

SirFur PC Gamer and LAzy B0nes

I've had signs that give you the actual speed in figures...I have to be doing 35 or so for it so I'm doing 30-31...so actually no that isn't the case either....

I tend to always drive a little bit over the speed (32-ish, 42-ish, 62-ish)...driving at 30 means you always tend to drive a little bit slower than 30...

On motorways I tend to arrive around 80....if I didn't it'd take me an extra 15min on my hour journeys that I take one way every day to work...however my average speed on a motorway is probably about 65-70 tbh....

I sorely hate the drivers on dual carriageways in the left hand lane doing 40-55 and forcing trucks to overtake them...it just blocks the whole carriage way...what about folks who see a truck far away in the left hand lane, but are doing only 50-55 (ie same speed) and refuse to move from the right hand lane back to left hand lane....raising the limit is going to raise their speeds and tbh may make more accidents happen when trucks suddenly have to pull out....I'm very experienced at driving on motorways and I've seen all the bad driving habits....(even if I do one myself)...and if everyone were to drive that little bit faster we'd probably have a rise in accidents for sure.

ps. got a bit jumbled here... I meant if everyone were to drive faster but we were still having to suffer with the v slow drivers that would increase accidents..

Last edited: 17 Oct 2011
  11. Comfyasabadger

Comfyasabadger What's a Dremel?

I do alot of motorway driving and have vote Yes on this one. But it is not the only thing that needs looking at.

Lane hogging and Lorries.

If you come across a Phantom Jam, where all traffic slows down for no apparent reason, if you look into the distance 9 times out of 10 you will see a lorry over taking another lorry at 1mph faster.

The Govt should look at introducing ways of fining ppl for sitting in the middle 2 lanes when making slow or no progress to the car in front. My missus hates it but to make my point I do not swerve out 3 or 4 lanes to pass on the right, instead I continue to drive in the 1st lane. She calls it undertaking, which we then argue about and I tell her it isn't.

Everyone knows the faster you drive the more fuel you consume. When the weather is good I always drive at 80 - 90. Small journeys this makes little difference but when I travel to my parents (300 miles away) that's almost an hour saved, an hour not driving by dickheads in the middle lane, an hour not dodging numpties that pull into the outside line straight from the slip road they have exited.

We should adopt a similar system to France, 80 in good weather, 70 in bad.
    Our current limit is over 40years old and it's about time it was updated.

12. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Well at 80mph,I HOPE ITS CLEAN!! (No 82,etc...)

13. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

There's always going to be a +% to the limit simply due to the differences in calibration of speedometers in cars.

14. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Yeah i guess your right mate,i think its IMPOSSIBLE to have a 100% accurate reading..

15. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

Some people are so well conditioned to the idea of right and wrong that to see anyone break a rule drives them nuts. To clarify, if you allow yourself to believe there's a right and wrong you've been owned.

16. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Hmm... So if I came and burnt your house down you'd be cool with that? After all... no right and wrong for free spirits like us, right?

17. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

Not quite how it is - what I mean is the idea of a collective right and wrong is complete hocum. I would have a problem with you doing that, but whether anyone else did does not concern me. If the law supported me then I might use it to my advantage, or I might take an alternative form of action. If you believe something is right/wrong just because someone else tells you it is then that is where you leave yourself open to exploitation.

18. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Minimodder

Limit here in Australia on the major freeways is 110km/h. Would be nicer to have a higher limit mostly because there is thousands of KM's between capital cities.

For shorter runs 100km/h is fine and over all safer.

19. StingLikeABee

StingLikeABee What's a Dremel?

So to clarify, are you suggesting that people who are opposed to speeders feel that way due to a collective belief in right and wrong? If so, then that shows ignorance to those who are opposed. Has it not crossed your mind that there are people who have thought through the pros and cons of speeding, and formed a rational opinion, taking into account the evidence available and also personal experience?

I dislike speeders because they are usually the same ones who display other forms of childish arrogance on the road, and also display a sheer disregard for other drivers, road users and also pedestrians. I dislike speeding because it can result in increased danger, both on and around our roads, not only for the driver who chose to ignore the highway code, but for anyone in their vicinity. I don't have these opinions because I was told this. I formed these opinions after having seen it for myself on the roads as a motorcycle rider, car driver and also a pedestrian.

The highway code, and our road traffic laws are not our government's means of spoiling our fun, they exist to make the roads safe for anyone who has the right to use them. We may not agree with some of the rules and regulations, and we have the choice whether to use the roads or not, we should not have the choice to flout these rules and regulations as we see fit. If you are really unhappy with the current legislation, go tell your MP. Don't just ignore the rules, and potentially increase the risk for yourself and every other road user near you. That just serves to prove the point that there are idiots out there, who will break the rules whatever limits they impose.

20. mediapcAddict

mediapcAddict What's a Dremel?

Sorry haven't read all of thread but I think at certain "off peak " times when conditions are safe and the car is safe on a motorway 80mph is not an issue. what you have to remmeber is that some small cars become flighty and less safe at 80mph. some drivers shouldn't be on the roads at all and in some conditions 70 is too much . however on an empty 4 lane motorway in a decent car 80 mph is perfectly safe.